I'm considering this trip

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
My dirt bike adventures involve sitting in front of my computer and watching other people do it which is also how I climbed Mt Everest.
As a fellow Aussie I would say be careful, people die in the Simpson desert.
Oh for sure, deaths do happen, pretty rare these days, but lots of injuries and helicopter rides to hospital (very expensive)

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
a bike tour up the cape would be good to do.... ;)

the hardest part of that simpson video is riding those bikes weighed down with all that gear over the back wheel.....

the road parts looked easy enough... easier than the sand mining roads /tracks/hills on Straddie...;)

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I ride a 2020 ktm exc 350 f... any ktm 350 wouldn t be my first choice for that ride... fwiw the only ktm 350 that makes 50 hp is the sxf motocross bike.... the ktm 350 trail bikes make mid 30 s in terms of hp...

Dr 650 is a heavy bike for sure... decent power tho, but in this environment i d be more concerned about reliability... dr 650 has a good rep as an outstanding bike in outback oz.. those crf 250 / 300 bikes are gutless AND weigh a ton...
I wouldn't say no to a bigger bike, I'm really looking at the CRF300 as my weekend dirt bike that I'll maybe take on this trip (if i go; it's still only an idea in formation, will probably not eventuate) I don't want anything overpowered for my meagre ability but I understand that power is an asset in certain circumstances. And yes they seem heavy on paper but a common theme to the reviews is that they don't feel any heavier than a DRZ (15kgs lighter) and the engine and gearbox are better suited for long rides?

When I did the crossing in my 4wd, i met quite a few guys in DR650s, XT660s etc and they were struggling. The only guy who was tearing it up and making it look easy was on an XT250, he was flying!

I have heard that the lower amount of reciprocating mass on a smaller bike is an advantage as there is lots of quick direction changes to avoid the irregularities of the dunes/tracks. Lots of YouTubes of riders doing the Simpson on DRZ400s too. The very first guy to do the Simpson on a bike was on a modified XL185 back in the 80s.

Probably, I'm not a good enough rider (or fit/conditioned enough) to do the trip, on any bike, so this might all be moot!

But seriously, i do appreciate your comments and concerns re choice of bike, and i may need something gruntier

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
a bike tour up the cape would be good to do.... ;)

the hardest part of that simpson video is riding those bikes weighed down with all that gear over the back wheel.....

the road parts looked easy enough... easier than the sand mining roads /tracks/hills on Straddie...;)
Gotta keep that front end light! Can't back off on the downhills either or the front wheel digs in and down you go

Strangely, the Cape has never appealed to me, I'm a real outback kinda guy, i struggle with humidity. But I should give it a crack one day.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
whuuuuuuttttt???????????? the ctf is pretty heavy and not much power. and, that is a perfect description of the DR.

a DRZ would be far better, especially with a Clarke tank (I had one). but, if I were going on that trip it would be KTM 350. about 235 pounds wet and dynos 50hp. the only down side is the small fuel tank. will you have a sag wagon/fuel carrier? as I recall you have to do fuel drops on the route anyway

No fuel drops out there, either carry the fuel or have a support vehicle (as the trip I'm considering will have). My Prado used 130 litres of diesel to do the crossing (600km due to a longer route taken than the bikes). Took 4 days from one side to the other. Loved every minute.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It would be good to ride it without all the extra gear onboard... have that in a following 4x4..

just the bike and you would be more fun and lighter to manage,,:)

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Have a look on YouTube at Motorbike Adventure Dirtbike TV (Mad TV). They did a review of the CRF300 Rally. The main guys on that channel ride big adventure bikes but from memory they were really impressed with the Honda.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Have a look on YouTube at Motorbike Adventure Dirtbike TV (Mad TV). They did a review of the CRF300 Rally. The main guys on that channel ride big adventure bikes but from memory they were really impressed with the Honda.
I did see that one, it seems to get a lot of good reviews, bit of a DRZ killer methinks?

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
It would be my choice of bike if / when I step up from the postie.
Came very close to selling my road bike recently to fund a CRF but I've been talked into keeping it for now, the boss has given the thumbs up to add a dirt bike to the stable when we offload our current house, hopefully in 6 mths or so.. But they are in short supply! Ah what to do....

suthol

Friend of Leo's
a bike tour up the cape would be good to do....
My son had planned to do and paid for "The Big Ride" up to The Cape this August.

He's a single parent and a couple of weeks ago he asked me if I would mind our grandson while he was away.

I'm having cataracts sorted the day the ride starts so won't be able to drive, he's had to pull out.

I told him to put it off for a few of years and do it with his now 13 yr old son.

Hayden ( our grandson ) has been riding dirt bikes since he was 6 so when the time comes will be up for it

They both ride KTMs

Frontman

Tele-Holic
I did a similar adventure on horseback. It's not something I would ever try again. But going by motorcycle sounds like a lot of fun.

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Came very close to selling my road bike recently to fund a CRF but I've been talked into keeping it for now, the boss has given the thumbs up to add a dirt bike to the stable when we offload our current house, hopefully in 6 mths or so.. But they are in short supply! Ah what to do....
I'd be talking to your local Honda dealer and see what the wait time is for one. Maybe you could go on a wait list or something.