I'm considering this trip

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
This is a snippet of a full series that's being slowly uploaded as these two gun riders cross the Simpson Desert..500kms and 1100 sand dunes, plus a week either side of the trip to get to and from the start and finish points. I've been invited on a similar ride in a year or two, for which I need an appropriate bike (CRF300L Rallye as the maker of these clips rides would do me) but I'm 57, haven't ridden dirt bikes for decades, and the only way to ride sand is flat out. I've done this same trip in a 4wd and a 2 wheeled version of the crossing would be a life highlight, but I've got huge reservations in my ability.. But still!

Last edited:

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
The time put into the preparation would be most important of course. Your butt is going to get tatooed on that ride and your legs need to be in great shape. I would start riding again asap and increase your stamina. Then 3 months before the trip some hard rides lasting a couple of hours or more. I rode hard on my Yamaha TT500 in the California and Arizona deserts until I was about 40 years old. Even the three hour rides we took wore us out a lot. I'm in my 60s now and I would do the trip. If you take the time to prep you'll know if you made a prudent decision. Good luck and I hope you succeed.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
The time put into the preparation would be most important of course. Your butt is going to get tatooed on that ride and your legs need to be in great shape. I would start riding again asap and increase your stamina. Then 3 months before the trip some hard rides lasting a couple of hours or more. I rode hard on my Yamaha TT500 in the California and Arizona deserts until I was about 40 years old. Even the three hour rides we took wore us out a lot. I'm in my 60s now and I would do the trip. If you take the time to prep you'll know if you made a prudent decision. Good luck and I hope you succeed.
Thanks for this detailed and realistic reply!

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I'm gonna say no. you've been across it, you know how long of a trip it is. I have a friend in Scone (NSW) that did that a few years back & got hurt. but, if you do go, as above... start getting in shape

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Prep and go for it. At some point, no matter how much you would love to do this, your won't be able to. Seriously do it, but prepared.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Prep and go for it. At some point, no matter how much you would love to do this, your won't be able to. Seriously do it, but prepared.
It would be a supported ride (unlike the video I posted), the riders would have their luggage carried by a 4wd that would meet us at each stop. Spare parts, fuel etc all taken care of.

We will see!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Pancho Villa Tours use to conduct and support Sonorran Desert rides years ago. I always wanted to do it during my dirt bike days but couldn't afford it back then.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm gonna say no. you've been across it, you know how long of a trip it is. I have a friend in Scone (NSW) that did that a few years back & got hurt. but, if you do go, as above... start getting in shape
For sure. On the 4wd crossing I did, I came across riders who said it was incredibly hard on the body, crashing on an almost hourly basis (the riders in the clip I posted are seriously competent, whereas I'm not) so I'm not saying I'm gonna do it.. If I buy a bike, get my skills back to higher level than before, get some sand riding experience and do smaller rides prior without killing myself, i may give it a go if I'm ready in time for the group that's invited me.

First step, buy the bike (probably at least 6 months away after we finish building a house)

ozcal

Tele-Afflicted
go for it richie... personally i wouldn t choose a crf 300 l for the trip... heavy bike without a lot of power... dr 650 or similar would be my pick...

have you watched any YT videos from 'mongrel dog productions' ? he s a west aussie who does loads of outback adventure riding... well worth a look..

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
go for it richie... personally i wouldn t choose a crf 300 l for the trip... heavy bike without a lot of power... dr 650 or similar would be my pick...

have you watched any YT videos from 'mongrel dog productions' ? he s a west aussie who does loads of outback adventure riding... well worth a look..
I hear ya re the CRF, wish they made a 400!

Yes I've watched a lot of Mongel Dog and others, all very inspiring

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I bet tire selection and pressure would be critical for optimal performance. I know that's the case for human-powered mountain bikes.

For sure I would consult with the tour guide to glean their experience on the best setup for the trip.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I bet tire selection and pressure would be critical for optimal performance. I know that's the case for human-powered mountain bikes.

For sure I would consult with the tour guide to glean their experience on the best setup for the trip.
Yep for sure.
Rim locks required!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
For sure. On the 4wd crossing I did, I came across riders who said it was incredibly hard on the body, crashing on an almost hourly basis (the riders in the clip I posted are seriously competent, whereas I'm not) so I'm not saying I'm gonna do it.. If I buy a bike, get my skills back to higher level than before, get some sand riding experience and do smaller rides prior without killing myself, i may give it a go if I'm ready in time for the group that's invited me.

First step, buy the bike (probably at least 6 months away after we finish building a house)
Can't you just get an app for that, and save the wear and tear on you? ;) I'm pretty tired just from watching that video! Think I'm gonna have to have a nice glass of water with ice and lemon, to cool me off!

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Can't you just get an app for that, and save the wear and tear on you? ;) I'm pretty tired just from watching that video! Think I'm gonna have to have a nice glass of water with ice and lemon, to cool me off!
Haha yes, the app is called YouTube!
And if you think that ride looks tiring, there are maniacs who do the crossing in one go (rather than the 3 or 4 days the duo in the OP took), and I've seen one crazy who did a double crossing in less than 24 hours

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
heavy bike without a lot of power... dr 650 or similar would be my pick...
whuuuuuuttttt???????????? the ctf is pretty heavy and not much power. and, that is a perfect description of the DR.

a DRZ would be far better, especially with a Clarke tank (I had one). but, if I were going on that trip it would be KTM 350. about 235 pounds wet and dynos 50hp. the only down side is the small fuel tank. will you have a sag wagon/fuel carrier? as I recall you have to do fuel drops on the route anyway

ozcal

Tele-Afflicted
I ride a 2020 ktm exc 350 f... any ktm 350 wouldn t be my first choice for that ride... fwiw the only ktm 350 that makes 50 hp is the sxf motocross bike.... the ktm 350 trail bikes make mid 30 s in terms of hp...

Dr 650 is a heavy bike for sure... decent power tho, but in this environment i d be more concerned about reliability... dr 650 has a good rep as an outstanding bike in outback oz.. those crf 250 / 300 bikes are gutless AND weigh a ton...

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Food for thought - Kind of related I guess but a buddy of mine and a group of his friends he works with decided they'd like to to do the Appalachian trail. Their plan was 200 miles I think. They went to a place that said was the best training ground for the trail. Very difficult training I guess, but considered to be pretty realistic to what one might experience on the trail. Each member was in tip top shape to start, though in their late 40's early 50's, most are construction workers etc., so they figured "meh... we can do this" 3 weekends of the training left them with doubts they could do it. They never did the trip. ;) FWIW and good luck man if you decide to do it!

Shango66

Friend of Leo's
Get match fit...then make the call.
I recall some doco on a British bike dude riding Paris Dakkar and the strain on his wrists n hands was incredible.
Not good for gtr players imo.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
My dirt bike adventures involve sitting in front of my computer and watching other people do it which is also how I climbed Mt Everest.
As a fellow Aussie I would say be careful, people die in the Simpson desert.