"I'm Building Character" - I Keep Telling Myself

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by keithb7, Oct 2, 2018.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

So my cool brother tells me, "Hey I got this really neat 1968 Philips console stereo given to me. It works, but it's crackling. What should I buy to fix it?"

That simple question turned into the guts being transported a 3 hour drive up the mountain pass to my amp cave.

This ain't a tube amp. However is an interesting music specimen. I was "pleased" :rolleyes: to find a positive ground solid state amplifier. It has a record player and a tape deck. A tape deck in 1968! I imagine that was pretty pricey. Made in Germany. Big wooden console you could feed a family of four Thanksgiving dinner on.

I am enjoying the experience...I think. Every e-cap is original and blistering. I am pulling out massive old cap cans and replacing them with modern, considerably smaller equivalents. I have to build custom adaptor plates to hold the new smaller caps. I figure I better use the light bulb limiter, put in ear plugs and don safety glasses, when I flash this thing up. I am really paying close attention to ensure I don't revert back to good old vintage Fender e-cap wiring. You know, the amps with negative ground?

Probably finish it up this week. Then hold it here until the next trip down to Bro's place. There's the Joe B concert Dec 1 in Vancouver. Maybe we'll wait and flash it up the day after the concert. Just in case we take out a hydro dam and the entire city is down.

I hear Dad's voice telling me, "Good or bad Son, it's all experience."

[​IMG]

Alamo, brogh, robrob and 7 others like this.
  2. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

We want tubes!

best of luck getting it in working order without too much character building.

24 track and keithb7 like this.
  3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

When you're done with that one, I've got one like it. Was using it for the radio this spring (it came with my house project) but one day it started crackling loudly, like an AM radio when there's lighting. After a while I figured out there where no thunderstorms coming and I had it on an FM station. I'm guessing it's caps but who knows?
    Maybe I'll haul it up to you in January, when the weathers nicer. :)

robrob, 24 track and Axis29 like this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ever notice!

It seems as soon as family and friends know you have a licence to drive a soldering iron and a can of de-oxit , you inherit every geriatric piece of gear that an electron has flowed through and they expect you to frankendiddle this thing back to life.

5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

@24 track yes I do notice this very phenomenon you speak of.

I do say “No” to a lot of people.

Andy B and 24 track like this.
  6. 24 track

I have had some wierd repair offers and i've had to say no to , VHS and cassette decks just say, NO .....

Andy B likes this.
  7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

My Brother and I finally hooked up. We had a lot of fun working on this restoration together.

The thing sounds quite good! Most importantly we spent some great time together. Our wives said we were hilarious. Acting like kids. Hooting and hollering each time we had another breakthrough.

8. 24 track

Nice story Keith!

9. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Great stuff Keith ! :)

is it me ? .. i had the impression the turntable was turning a little slower maybe, i mean not quite 33 rpm ?

10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

@brogh it did seem slightly slow. I agree. Better get some lube on the ball bearings under the rotating table.

brogh likes this.
  11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

The first tape machine by Philips was introduced in 1963.
    Later Keith Richards recorded Street Fighting Man, Jumpin Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter with one of those, sticking a dynamic mic into the soundhole of his acoustic guitar which made it sound electric. distortion and all.
    later the compression/limiter was working and took all the distortion fun away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_tape
    The first cassette machines (e.g. the Philips EL 3300, introduced in August 1963 were simple mono-record and -playback units. Early machines required attaching an external dynamic microphone.

keithb7 and Mr Ridesglide like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.