I'm back to three amps . . .

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Arbogast, May 22, 2019.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

IMO as a long time player AND tech no gigging player - even if they play only ONE venue all the time - should ever have less than 2 amps on site at all times, and most tube amp users who play multiple venues need to own at LEAST 3 (usually 4 or more) to be able to hit tonal sweet spots in various sizes/configurations of venues.

Every player I gigged with somewhat regularly who only owned one amp ended up having to borrow one at some point due to a failure, or a situation of having insufficient or far too much output.

Note - not "power", but "output level". There's a difference, and power (in watts) does not necessarily mean anything specific as far as output level - or "volume".

2. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

those old 50s early 60s tweed gibsons are gold.

3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Don't know how/why I ended up collecting amps?
    IMG_20190515_121730.jpg

5w Champ clone(10"), 15w Princeton RRI (12"), 15w Blues Jnr, 22w Supersonic, 30w Bassbreaker R30, 20w Bugera G20 n 2x12.

4. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

It was easy to have just one amp when I was only playing at jams. But now that I'm in a gigging band, I have a responsibility to have a backup plan in case of gear failure. It's also really helpful to have amps that are "sized" for different venues.

When I accumulate some more gig money, I just may build another amp. Maybe a 2x10 18W . . .

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I hauled around Fender Twins for years...my BIG amp is now a DRRI. Smaller amp is Pro Junior IV and my toy amp is a Mustang I.

I LOVE the first 2 and despise the Mustang.

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Congrats OP.

I’m down from 10 amps last year to 4 amps. Two Marshall’s and two Fenders.
    • 30 watt 1x12 Marshall and 50 watt 2x12 Marshall
    • 22 watt BF Deluxe Reverb and a 35 watt BF Super Reverb
    I really like all four amps but I know that I would be happy with just the two smaller amps. Maybe trade bait in the future.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

Noted. If I find my DR lacking in the near future, I’ll remind you that you don’t really need that super!

gridlock likes this.
  8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Maybe I need to think again neighbor (Largo/Tampa), but I really want to add a Les Paul R7 to my collection to go with my new R8. I can’t really justify laying out that kind of cash, without involving some trading.

A20244D9-0039-4AA8-B12B-F8D630479D84.jpeg

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Hatfield92 likes this.
  9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nice trio.

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A little Marshall 18 W clone, Deluxe Reverb and 35 watt Holland Little Jimi (incredible Fender cleans and Vox-like breakup, with less headroom than a Deluxe!) was all I needed for about the last 5 years I was gigging. Clubs of any size were no problem (I was playing classic rock, country rock and a little prog rock) and large halls/out door festivals all had miking.

Oh, and I used to drag a Vibratone (with the on/off and speed footswitch & crossover) and mike it in stereo......o_O

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I'll eventually want to build a Prolux 2x10 from the ground up. Whats a good build time estimate for an experienced person, good with schematics, good with soldier, good with cabinet building skills? 10 hrs? 40 hrs?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.