I'm Back on my 2016 Epi Special l TV Yellow:>)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Platefire, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Man what a pleasure. Weighs a little over 6 Pounds. Those stock P-90 are a cross between the thickness of a LP/Humbucker and tele twang. Only mods is Gotoh Classic Keystone tuners and added top hat knobs to replace the speed knobs.

I also love the historic early Les Paul Jr/Special features---slab body, P-90's andWrap around Bridge. The volume control is in just the right location for volume swells. Epiphone hit a home run with this one. For a budget axe it shines. Platefire
    IMG_20180413_151431.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Always liked these. And TV yellow is such a great colour.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Your post is one of the best adverts I ever read. I am on eBay looking because of it

I only bought 4 guitars in this past month, and sold one of those, so I think everything is level if I get one of these?

4. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I love mine. It’s super light and the satin finish is thin, allowing the body to resonate better than more expensive guitars I own that have thicker poly. These P90s are the only Epi pickup I haven’t needed to throw out.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Even the humbucker LP Juniors are solid and fun. I replaced the pickup with one I can split, via push/pull tone pot. Bourns volume pot, Switchcraft jack, stock tuners, fret level and setup, reflector knobs. I have probably under $30 in the guitar and the upgrade parts. This gets played a lot more than the 'G' model that cowers in the case with headstock anxiety and doesn't sound all that different. These Epis are fun and as noted they are light weight.

[​IMG]

This was the video that convinced me to seek out some sort of Junior (and Esquires).

Hiker likes this.
  6. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

I have the same guitar but red. Its a 2016 and i only paid $60 for it. The P90s sound fantastic! I also replaced the tuners and installed a new adjustable bridge. It's a great guitar!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Envious right here. I paid gbp100 for my junior with a single pickup, and it looked like it had been left in the vegetable patch for a year

8. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

I have a Bucker version.
    New tuners. New guts.
    Wilkinson tailpiece bridge.
    Dimarzio PUPS. Fret level, etc.

Love it ...
    20190326_121512.jpg

nojazzhere and Larry F like this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I miss mine. It was tremendous fun and those specific P-90s are as good as most P-90s out there.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I picked up a LP Jr and replaced the electronics with a GFS Humbucker-sized P-90, put in some amber top hat knobs and changed the volume control to an audio taper volume.

It is my go to guitar.

I recently brought it with me to try out a guitar cabinet that I was auditioning. The seller of the cabinet LOVED the guitar. I think he played it more than I did. He said something to the tune of "I have a Les Paul ( some fancy model) that I paid A LOT of money for and it doesn't play ,uch better than this!" I recommended that he get himself one, too.

Here is my before and after.....

FenderGyrl likes this.
  11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Guitars like that make me feel like a little kid. They're so simple and they're so much fun. They're also affordable. Those Epi's are nice little guitars.

I love the (Gibson) Melody Maker reissues and I've never paid more than $400 for one of them. I call them my canoe paddles (that's a term of endearment). The single coils are loud like a Tele on steroids. They also teach you to play with some control. If a clobber a wrap around tail piece I can knock it out of tune (you can sound very aggressive but you can't bash the heck out of it). The newer humbucker Melody Makers are monsters. The little SG has brown tone for days. Fun.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    FenderGyrl likes this.
  12. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Similar, but different...... IMG_0824.jpg

FenderGyrl likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Simple and solid "rock machine". I love my 1960 double cut LP Jr., and really like my PRS SE One (Paul's take on a Jr.) The SE One pretty much plays in tune, but the original "straight" bar on the Gibson never quite did. Back in the seventies, I put on a Leo Quan "Badass" bridge.....helped tremendously. Don't even know if those are still available. I think you got a winner! ;)

14. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Have one just like it. Fun to play, sounds good. Win, win.

15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Is it the super cheap bolt on neck or set neck?
    I have the bolt on. $99 new.
    It's seen a handful of gigs.
    If it were my only guitar, I'd be fine.
    I love plugging it into a '58 Bassman at gigs.
    Gear nerds get apoplectic.

16. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

This is the other part of my rig the Special goes through. It's at a Church that seats 100. So the low watt amps is a perfect match the small sanctuary. The amps is a diy 5F1/5F2 Champ and a modified Silvertone 1482. Got them hooked up in parallel using the extra champ input. Love the tone and responsiveness of this setup. Platefire IMG_20190914_091243134.jpg IMG_20190914_091326688.jpg IMG_20190914_091307930.jpg

FenderGyrl likes this.
  17. Lashdog

Lashdog TDPRI Member

18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

TV yellow is cool TV1.jpg

FenderGyrl and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, P90 (or HB for some of you) goodness.

20. Lashdog

Lashdog TDPRI Member

I'm also a Melody Maker fan. I've got a 2007 double pup sunburst. It's been modified a little. It sports a genuine Leo Quan Badass bridge, Carvin T-60 bridge pup, and amber knobs. I also replaced the tuners with some from Planet Waves. Most definitely a keeper. I also scored an Epi Special 1 in red last month, it's a 2017(love me some P90s) Will post pics when I figure out how to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.