I'm an idiot

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Only one terlet?

You just seem to wear out flappers more quickly than most.:lol::lol::lol:
no we have multiple... but, the girls have their favorite... I can report... the chair height is a good call and the santa rosa does an outstanding job!

My temporary upset over the cracked base is gone and I'm on to the next project... A broken shock on an old ford... she is getting 4 new struts/shocks, new brakes, 2 new rotors... a new battery harness and a new battery... she'll be like new by tuesday!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I have installed a bunch of toilets in my life. I've rebuilt, repaired etc without ever having an issue. I bought a GOOD toilet (600.00) and, I broke it. the base. broke it. just over tightened the tank to the base. CLUNK.

I ordered the replacement base. Depressing. Oh well. I also got a bunch of car parts in today, so, I'll dive in all weekend and try to redeem myself.
It happens……………..not often though. Someone stole the whole toilet bowl that was about to be installed in our local police station last week. Who’d have the nerve? No one saw anything and the police have nothing to go on.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
I did that last year. Set it down too hard when replacing it. It happens. Also, why are there either too many wax rings, or none at all, when I need one?

None of my beeswax, but $600 for a toilet?! I’m in the $150 range, geez, I need to reevaluate my life decisions.
If you’re gonna break ‘em it’s hard to reject a four for the price of one deal!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
awesome! I am picking one up in a couple of hours. When I screw up, I move on and fix it if I can. I ordered the other base, I'll put that in another bathroom when the replacement arrives, I ordered the santa rosa... I'm on it!
Er…….you’re ‘on it’? And posting on here? The one case where I won’t say ‘pics or it didn’t happen’!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
no we have multiple... but, the girls have their favorite... I can report... the chair height is a good call and the santa rosa does an outstanding job!

My temporary upset over the cracked base is gone and I'm on to the next project... A broken shock on an old ford... she is getting 4 new struts/shocks, new brakes, 2 new rotors... a new battery harness and a new battery... she'll be like new by tuesday!
The older I get the more I’m willing to spend my money paying someone else to this stuff. Done my share lying under cars, working against the clock with the power turned off and in puddles of cold water……..or worse!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
The older I get the more I’m willing to spend my money paying someone else to this stuff. Done my share lying under cars, working against the clock with the power turned off and in puddles of cold water……..or worse!

I enjoy it. I like hiring stuff I don't like doing, but I like doing projects still.

pedro58

Tele-Meister
I'm ready to tackle leaking hose bibs when it gets a bit warmer. I'll have to cut the water off to the house, disassemble and pray I don't break a pipe, haul ass to the hardware store to get the right parts, reassemble and then turn the water back on... I might just buy an assortment of packing and stem washers and pray that what comes out matches what I've got on hand!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I have installed a bunch of toilets in my life. I've rebuilt, repaired etc without ever having an issue. I bought a GOOD toilet (600.00) and, I broke it. the base. broke it. just over tightened the tank to the base. CLUNK.

I ordered the replacement base. Depressing. Oh well. I also got a bunch of car parts in today, so, I'll dive in all weekend and try to redeem myself.

Easy does it, Big Guy!

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm ready to tackle leaking hose bibs when it gets a bit warmer. I'll have to cut the water off to the house, disassemble and pray I don't break a pipe, haul ass to the hardware store to get the right parts, reassemble and then turn the water back on... I might just buy an assortment of packing and stem washers and pray that what comes out matches what I've got on hand!
If your main water cut off to the house is a twist down gate valve, I would go out to the street and turn it off at the meter. If your main water cutoff at the house is a ball valve with a lever, then you're in good shape.

Old main gate valves, that haven't been shut off in a long time, have a propensity to shut off, and then the stem breaks and you can't open them back up. The valve at your water meter, if it just has a lug that you turn to shut it off, is a normally ball valve, so it should shut off and turn back on just fine. However if it is reticent to budge, don't over leverage it, or the city might be charging you to replace it, if you over torque it and break the pipes, and cause a geyser.

pedro58

Tele-Meister
If your main water cut off to the house is a twist down gate valve, I would go out to the street and turn it off at the meter. If your main water cutoff at the house is a ball valve with a lever, then you're in good shape.

Old main gate valves, that haven't been shut off in a long time, have a propensity to shut off, and then the stem breaks and you can't open them back up. The valve at your water meter, if it just has a lug that you turn to shut it off, is a normally ball valve, so it should shut off and turn back on just fine. However if it is reticent to budge, don't over leverage it, or the city might be charging you to replace it, if you over torque it and break the pipes, and cause a geyser.
Oh, I'm not worried about busting the main supply line to the house. I've done that lots of times w/o incident. But the hose bib might be soldered, it might be threaded. Removing it will be a bear, as we don't have a basement. My access is in front of the brick wall or through the drywall on the inside of the house. If I damage the copper pipe behind the brick, I'll have a hell of a repair. So, I'm hoping I can just remove the "guts" of the valve without having to sweat the entire fitting off or unscrew it.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh, I'm not worried about busting the main supply line to the house. I've done that lots of times w/o incident. But the hose bib might be soldered, it might be threaded. Removing it will be a bear, as we don't have a basement. My access is in front of the brick wall or through the drywall on the inside of the house. If I damage the copper pipe behind the brick, I'll have a hell of a repair. So, I'm hoping I can just remove the "guts" of the valve without having to sweat the entire fitting off or unscrew it.
It should be easy to tell if ithey're threaded or sweated. My house is run in copper, but they sweated on 3/4" iron pipe fittings for the outside and water heater valves, so when I change them I just need a threaded valve.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Remember use two wrenches so you don’t accidentally twist, bend or crimp anything.

staxman

Tele-Afflicted
Hey, you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs! I admire your DIY spirit and abilities…BUT, I would never tell my wife about all the projects you so gladly tackle.

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
I drilled through ANOTHER cabinet door today. I was so annoyed at myself, and so out of plywood, that I made a plug out of plywood and filled the hole. I told my family there was a visible mistake but I wasn’t going to tell them where. They haven’t found it yet which is amazing because it’s all I see when I walk into the kitchen

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Wait, you've rebuilt toilets?
yes. new gaskets, new insides etc, reseat, good to go!

okay POSTSCRIPT--> got the last of the new toilets installed last night. I can report, a good toilet, chair height and a really well engineered turlet... is better than what I have been using for years.

I keep thinking about Gunny's line in Full Metal Jacket about the toilets... man, these toilets are the ....

project done!