I'm an idiot

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Buck up, when I was an apprentice plumber, I dropped a toto brand toilet down a flight of steps en route to a basement bathroom install.

My boss looked at it, looked at me, and "suggested" i take the rest of the day off....and to call for a ride. He was not happy, those Toto branded fixtures are not cheap.

Poster Extraordinaire
I have installed a bunch of toilets in my life. I've rebuilt, repaired etc without ever having an issue. I bought a GOOD toilet (600.00) and, I broke it. the base. broke it. just over tightened the tank to the base. CLUNK.

I ordered the replacement base. Depressing. Oh well. I also got a bunch of car parts in today, so, I'll dive in all weekend and try to redeem myself.

I would have called the manufacturer. I fell asleep and roasted a $300 Dutch oven. They swapped a new one for $125.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I would have called the manufacturer. I fell asleep and roasted a $300 Dutch oven. They swapped a new one for $125.
That's actually a great idea, you might be surprised that Toto steps up and sends you a new one for free. Just say "hey man I was just snugging it down, being very careful, and the thing cracked".

There's so much margin in Toto toilets that they can afford to do something like that.

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
Have you tried these?

Really easy to install. I'll never use wax again.
Yes I saw those but my neighbor who was raised by his dad as a plumber assistant said they weren’t any good. Well, he was wrong because that was what my plumber used. But I was selling a house and needed to document the repair so I went with the plumber and he also replaced all the seals in the toilet. Then I had the documentation for the repair.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I was always amazed by Toto toilets in Japan. Heated seats. Warm water flush. 21st century. A throne fit for a king or an emperor. It amazed me how a single company could eliminate indoor trench toilets from an entire country.
They make a line that has UV to sanitize your bum. Many, many thousands of dollars. Way too many thousands
Overall I’m not a fan of Toto. Most are a PITA to work on.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I have installed a bunch of toilets in my life. I've rebuilt, repaired etc without ever having an issue. I bought a GOOD toilet (600.00) and, I broke it. the base. broke it. just over tightened the tank to the base. CLUNK.

I ordered the replacement base. Depressing. Oh well. I also got a bunch of car parts in today, so, I'll dive in all weekend and try to redeem myself.
The best of us can pull a dummy. It happens. I'm just glad you are not a Cardiologist telling us you tied a knot too loose.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have mid-1990s renovation early low flow terlets that are absolutely terrible.

Can you come over to snug the bolts down so I have an excuse to replace them?

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted

Why not do what most good citizens do and simply return it to the place you bought it and claim it came damaged. Oh, right. You have integrity.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
Buck up, when I was an apprentice plumber, I dropped a toto brand toilet down a flight of steps en route to a basement bathroom install.

My boss looked at it, looked at me, and "suggested" i take the rest of the day off....and to call for a ride. He was not happy, those Toto branded fixtures are not cheap.
I would have fired you on the spot. After you cleaned up the mess.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
I've pretty much always had whatever toilet they had at home depot, but I'm redoing some bathrooms and I want some chair height toilets and ada compliant and I want to be ahead on the water conservation thing BUT, I didn't want to spring for power wash, the more expensive Toto is the one my plumber friends say 'just get a toto and forget about problems.)

Also, we are planning to stay in this house and I want to go up on the finishes for OUR comfort.

I can retire the extra cost in not having flappers etc go out as often.
You must do a lot of.... a..... flushing?

Muddyshoes

Tele-Holic
OUCH, that stinks no pun intended. I was replacing the clutch in my 84 Toyota pickup 20 years ago, I had the flywheel ground and is as I torqued the bolts even knowing the torque spec said 10 FT LBS I said WHAT no way, So I set the wrench to 15 LBS and SNAP..... OH 💩, now you've done it Waldo....Thankfully that soft bolt was easy to drill and use an easy out to to get it out.....And this is even after I read the manual. What can I say 😞...I trust the darn manuals now I tell you

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
OUCH, that stinks no pun intended. I was replacing the clutch in my 84 Toyota pickup 20 years ago, I had the flywheel ground and is as I torqued the bolts even knowing the torque spec said 10 FT LBS I said WHAT no way, So I set the wrench to 15 LBS and SNAP..... OH 💩, now you've done it Waldo....Thankfully that soft bolt was easy to drill and use an easy out to to get it out.....And this is even after I read the manual. What can I say 😞...I trust the darn manuals now I tell you
which reminds me, how is chet doing on that tranny he was working on?

I am replacing struts this weekend on a car with a broken shock tower... should be fun!