I'm an eternal optimist...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telekaster1999, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I wound up with Guillain-Barre 15 years ago. After near total paralysis and nerve pain, due to special plasm infusions. As with most people, I regained my upper body, but my legs and feet have been nothing but trouble. I'll spare you. I fairly expected to regain everything. I tend to tell family and friends, oh-boy, I'm better now, but the last few months have been pretty bad for my pain. But I'm doing better now. I have tried every approach the doctors suggested to lessen the pain. No nerve stimulator implant for me, but acupuncture, rehab, chemical approaches, pain psychologist, and more and more rehab haven't given me noticeable improvement. I even tried voodoo, mostly for amusement. But I actually made a mojo bag, which required some research to put together.

Anyway, the activities I'm doing give me something to hope for. So, yeah, I'm an optimist.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Well..there is only one end for all..let's be optimistic about it ;)

3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My dad told us not to dwell too much on personal problems. I didn't always heed this, but after seeing the twisted effects of rumination, I found a better path forward by not dwelling on past problems and hurts.

4. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

If wake up I’m happy. If I don’t then…

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have gone through the exact same thinking process. I knew by the end of high school that raising children is a daunting commitment that I had deemed way beyond my capability. I admire parents taking it on, but unfortunately, I see some that don’t take on the responsibility seriously enough.

miguelalmeida and telemnemonics like this.
  6. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

deleted

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  7. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 Tele-Meister

I try to be optimistic, but lately the s... has been hard and heavy.

8. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

Well, other than the logical inconsistentcies inherent in that, I can't imagine why such difficulty would exist...

papa32203 likes this.
  9. Blackmore Fan

There's value in that.

10. Blackmore Fan

Double post

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What if one is a infernal optimist?

tattypicker and NWinther like this.
  12. Obsessed

This is a valid question.on the surface and seems to be hypocritical, but I think the confusion here is about “caring” for something when we say at the same time that “nothing matters”. We can still have emotions such as “caring” even though there is no purpose in life. As we live from one moment to the next, we can maintain and/or express emotions regardless of whether it matters or not.
    Additionally, being judgemental has nothing to do with existential nihilism. It is just emotion that has no redeeming value and basically does not matter either.

Manual Slim likes this.
  13. Obsessed

@getbent always seems to come in to save the day. Bravo. Yes, we are only sharing our philosophies here, not trying to convert people or judge people. As people read about other philosophies, they become more knowledgeable about philosophy in general and how they vary. Human philosophy has been an ongoing study since at least the ancient Greeks. I see it as building blocks no different than the evolution of math and science. The 19th century was crammed full of breakthrough and exiting ways to consider philosophy. From my perspective, you need to take it with a grain of salt, because it doesn’t matter if you don’t understand or don’t want to know more about it. It exists and we can’t do anything about it anyway.

14. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

I am not confused.

Semantics/pseudo-philosophical/pseudo-intellectual claptrap. Sorry, man. Can't buy it.

By definition: If you care about anything- in any way, shape or form- then that anything matters to you- in some way, shape or form. Simple.

As for "there is no purpose in life": What if my purpose in life is to "live from one moment to the next, (to) maintain/and or express emotions that (have) no redeeming value"? Do you deny I can have this as a purpose in my life?

BTW: Please define your terms: "caring", "redeeming value", "basically does not matter" (sounds like you are hedging there a bit...), "existential nihilism", "living authentically"....etc

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

AKA: disappointment takes adequate planning.

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like the leave the kids alone stuff , we could certainly see through the b.s. when we were kids, no one had to tell us , we may not have understood the machinations but we could see clearly even if we didn't understand.
    Some one once told me that having stuff to work on was the ticket in to a body and love was the ticket out.
    If I had a religion it would be kindness.

17. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

You know how to identify a pessimist?
    They're the ones going "I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist!".

18. miguelalmeida

miguelalmeida Tele-Meister

Cool thread and interesting perspectives on life.
    I apologize if this will sound cliche or recycled theory but it has paved my way since the moment I found out who I am and who I want to be.
    There’s is a premisse though and it relies on the fact that death is certain, our time is finite and impossible to know how long will we be here.
    Knowing this as a fact made me decide to make it count.
    This is me, not the way it should be.

So, first step is to find who do you want to be. What is your core nature? It’s too late to be an astronaut but you can spend every available time learning about it if that is your truest satisfaction.
    I can guarantee that you will know a lot more tomorrow than today if you put on the effort and guess what? It is what gives the most pleasure.
    At age 39 I decided to become a professional artist. I told the wife that some changes had to be done. Less time for social interaction, family and even house chores. She thought I had lost it, but I told her that the goal was to reach 50 and be able to support myself and the family through art. She thought it would just slip past as an hobby thing.
    I put on the effort, painting on my spare time (I am a humble waiter, still am). Waking up earlier than anybody to paint before work and spending days off also painting.
    First painting I sold (40 euros) on a local gallery was one of the happiest days of my life. And I kept going, some months I make enough money for not having to be a waiter.
    Some don’t.
    I keep going.
    Sometimes I get lazy on my philosophy but most times it’s what grabs me and lifts me up.

tattypicker likes this.
  19. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Seems like a lot of the more extreme views on this thread are essentially a disappointed commentary and judgement on what other people do.

If that's philosophy, then it strikes me as quite a narrow slice of thinking.

That's not enough to make it wrong, but I think if we're going to discuss that kind of commentary, it would be useful to know more about the context and point of view from which it's being delivered. It's not enough, IMO, to say that other people don't give a hoot. I would say that experience points towards the vast majority of people caring quite strongly about the things that matter to them, though not always the things that matter to me.

What is your experience of other people that has left you so disappointed or pessimistic?

As between optimism and pessimism, it seems to me that optimism can be tempered by realism, but what counterbalance does pessimism have?

staxman likes this.
  20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The feelings of the OP can be accurately applied to any number of situations in today's society, or it could be a plea for help, which I suspect is closer to the truth. Not knowing either, I will offer up this picture of kitties because who can be feeling down with a basket of kittens?

th.jpeg-8.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.