1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'm about to abandon my favorite guitar shop.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Aug 29, 2018.

1. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Unfortunate situation but it's not the stores responsibility to help you, they are a business and you owe what you owe. I'd have been looking at personal loans or borrowing from a friend/family member in that situation. I probably wouldn't make a big purchase on installments to begin with though but that's just me and my pessimistic ways.

hellopike and Jim622 like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The only thing that would bother me about the music store is that they didn't hang the guitar, but then I would have been dropping by all along to stalk the guitar.

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The reason to cancel the purchase of the Rickie was solely due to the very unwelcome and much higher than expected medical bill coupled to the news that I might have to buy a new car since the one I have is on its last miles.

The fact that I pointed out that there's no MOJO between me and the Rickie was basically to soften the blow for myself, to have the "Oh well, it'll be for the better."

I was so livid at all the things which happened, I was not nearly 300 euros away from having that Rickie and then the enormous bill came in and snatched it away from me. And as time goes on, that bill keeps on getting bigger.

Okay I DO understand the point of view of the shop but if I make a deal with them about putting the guitar up for consignment and with them putting it on display and me trying to find buyers online I DO EXPECT that they keep up their end of the deal too.

They didn't.

So what more motive do you think I have?

4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hope I am not overstepping, and yes i understand the unanticipated bill here or there, but it is it possible giving into GAS should be done when there is cushion available. Maybe consider finding a way to pay for the axe and flip it. The shop is rightfully made whole. You may take a slight loss, but it’s a lesson learned, and something to go toward your medical is available. Yes life gave you a kick in the gonads, but you turned your misfortune on someone who previously has always done right by you. I personally other than my house or car, never purchase anything I can’t readily pay for. The only time we buy on credit is to build it, then payed off within the month. Vacations, the payment is set aside waiting to be payed as soon as we are satisfied. Hope all goes well. Try to look more for an answer, and not dwell as much on the unfairness. Just look at the news I guarantee someone else is in a worse way.

Tonetele and boredguy6060 like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

So what more motive do you think I have?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what your motives are, but your own words seem to indicate a disillusionment with your purchase. As others have stated, the only thing you can really do or expect from the music store is to pay for the instrument so that they may deliver it to you. It would seem from what you've said yourself they ordered it in for you trusting you to fulfill your word to purchase it. Once you have it in your possession then you can either keep it, or merchandise it as you see fit. I don't see how the music store is under any obligation to accommodate you in trying to move it for you, sorry I just don't.

For the reasons that have some to light in this thread, purchases for something you want and don't really need should be paid for in cash at the time of purchase, or by a credit card so that once the transaction is completed, the store has no further obligation in the matter.

I'm sorry for your injuries and for the debt obligations concerning your shoulder. I hope that can be worked out in some satisfactory manner, but I think your medical problems, and your musical purchases are mutually exclusive of one another. Each of us here on the forum I'm sure have been faced with the dilemma of paying the bills, or spending the money on something non essential we want or desire, once you navigate these waters you'll be a much wiser man. Best to you.

Fendereedo, boredguy6060 and Jim622 like this.
  6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

If I were the store owner, and you were a life long client, and you had dropped 90% on the guitar already, and (big presumption) I didn't already give you a giant discount..... I'd be giving you a 10% discount and let you out the door with it to do whatever you need to do.

BUT - I don't own a store, and if I did, I'd likely go under helping too many people ;)

All that said - the store owes you nothing. I'd go back with one more proposal....Hang the guitar on consignment.... and negotiate the best points you can.

Keep in mind... it's a new guitar, but it is so specialized it will have to be sold at a discount. Plus, the store will want 15% - 40% depending on their policies. In the end... you should get at least half of your money back in a worse case scenerio!

radiocaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

As a guitar store owner, I have been in pretty much the same position as your former favorite store. Special ordered an expensive Takamine, which I wouldn't normally stock, for a long time customer, so I had already paid for the guitar. As a favor to the buyer, I matched the online catalog price, which left me a 10% profit, minus the freight to get it shipped. When the guitar arrived, the customer said he'd had some medical bills come up, and asked if he could make payments, like a layaway. I agreed, if he could pay for it in 30 days, which is the usual layaway period at my store. A year later he finally paid it off. When he asked to put another guitar in layaway, and I refused, he was angry! "Don't you appreciate my business?!?" Well, brother...not THAT kind of business...

8. Toto'sDad

I'll be honest this hadn't occurred to me. I know my post seemingly questioned Blazer's motives in cancelling the purchase and looked as if I was not sympathetic to his plight. Though I think the store holds no responsibility to do anything for him, if he is a long term customer, it does seem that they might if as he says, he has paid 90% of the agreed purchase price just go ahead an let him have the guitar. I don't think they are obligated to in any way, but I enjoy Blazer's posts, and feel sorry for the predicament he finds himself in. If he has paid 90% of the agreed price I can hardly believe they would lose any money on the deal, just not make what they had figured on. That would be a much better ending to the story, than the one we have.

9. Toto'sDad

I think you went way beyond the extra mile, and have nothing to apologize to anyone for.

twotone60 and boredguy6060 like this.
  10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

As a privileged and loyal customer at my local store ( and others) I have dealt with since 1980, I usually get at least 22% off the RRP . If you have been the loyal customer you claim they would have factored that into the equation and therefore the price to YOU.
    300 Euros is a lot of money and I'm sure if it were less, they'd probably waive some, IF you are the loyal customer you say you are.
    So far they have done all the right things and are keeping that guitar for you as it may well be difficult to move such stock. Good luck.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

3000 Euros is a ripoff for that guitar, major.

You could get it used from the US at half that price in dollars, and even with the import taxes you would have gotten it a lot cheaper. Except they are illegal to import in the EU now, since they have bubinga fingerboards.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

It's more likely that they weren't displaying it because they're in the business of selling guitars that they can make a profit on. Why sell someone else's guitar for them? It probably cost close to the retail price to get the guitar in the first place. There would be just no profit for them, and access to customers who wants to buy a guitar - any guitar - is the benefit they earn from paying rent, advertising, and running a business in general.

So what's the big deal about the last 10%? If 90% is possible, the last 10% is hardly unattainable.

dan1952, kuvash and studio1087 like this.
  13. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So what's the big deal about the last 10%? If 90% is possible, the last 10% is hardly unattainable.[/QUOTE]

To you it may not be much, others just don’t have it, especially when injured.

Blazer - you obviously went to the college of musical knowledge. With your injury, would working it off at the Guitar shop be an option that was or could be offered as pay off.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

300 euros is 10% of the guitar so the guitar cost roughly 3000 euros. I'm converting in my head. The guitar would have been $3400 USD.

I'm going through sticker shock. Naperville Music sells them for $2000.

You could spend a weekend in Chicago and go home with the guitar for less than $3400. C'mon over. I'll buy dinner. Find a cheap airline ticket!

http://www.napervillemusic.com/p-36057-rickenbacker-330-fireglo.aspx#

C'mon Blazer. Giordano's. Me & you......and the Ric 330. We'll put a slice in front of the guitar as a spiritual offering.

https://giordanos.com/locations/downtown-central-loop

Kidding aside; sorry about the stress and take care of your health.

kuvash likes this.
  15. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

€3,000 is a helluva lot for a Ric 330. Thomann have them listed at €1,899.

Doesn't sound as if Blazer's friendly store thinks that much about the loyalty he's shown them over the years.

kuvash likes this.
  16. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Im sorry about your situation , I really am. But , to me , this doesnt sound like its a problem with your usual shop in any way , but you clearly bought something you couldnt afford , sorry.......
    If you have been a customer for that many years , you must have an age where you either buy stuff like guitars , or dont , if you dont have the money..... IMO , no grown adult person should buy a guitar by putting it on layaway , or paying it in small steps....
    Anyone can get sick , certainly not your fault, but you didnt know your car was on its last legs ?
    Life suck sometimes , but why complain about it on the internet ?

twotone60 likes this.
  17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The math on several fronts seems skewed. I was trying to understand how many guitars Blazer purchased at his favorite guitar shop...since all the ones I've seen posted were self made...

kelnet and kuvash like this.
  18. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Sorry for your dilemma but it appears that you probably weren't in the financial position to make that purchase in the first place.

The shop owner has no stake in a. your medical bill situation and b.your automobile situation.

He placed a special order for you, paid his supplier and at the 11th hour, you just brought in two new variables and now you are placing the burden on him to figure out how you can pay the balance.

dan1952 likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Kinda like, porkchops for sale 19 cents a pound. Disclaimer, we don't have any porkchops.

20. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes! Do this!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.