1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

i'm a shredder and the 9.5 radius just isn't shreddable, is it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ben smith, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

so i have leveled the frets on my tele neck to perfection two times now! this neck is beautiful, beautifully made no weird bow/twist anything like that. i love a very low action because just for fun at home i do like to cheesy shred a bit, two hand tapping the lot! never have any kind of choke/buzz when bending a 12" radius and i know a 9.5 isn't really for shredding but i wish it worked! it doesn't choke out completely just that little bit of catching up past the 12th fret, just a tiny bit but i want to hear nothing. so i suppose what i really want and need is a maple vintage looking 21 fret 12" radius tele neck, do you know where i can get an affordable one? i know you can make one with warmoth but it's at least $500 for the one i want to make, i will probably get one made in the future as my tele is definitely worthy of a great neck, everything else on it went so well together and the body is my own. i could just level the neck myself but i just can't be bothered with that and then refinishing it, i am done with builds mods for a while this will be my last one. so yeah, it's normal for a little choke/catching on a 9.5 right? i don't a want high action though, it's perfect where it is to the touch. thanks

2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Cheap foreign neck, do the aging yourself.

I'd pull the frets and level that one.

ben smith likes this.
  3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I use a low action, as low as possible due to a hand injury. I have no trouble getting a 9. very low and still being bendable w/o choking. If you can't you're probably doing something wrong of the fret work isn't great.

Fiesta Red and ben smith like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I feel like I read EVH’s early necks were 9.5/10 radius, but now I can’t find the article.

3-Chord-Genius and ben smith like this.
  5. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Brad Paisley seems able to shred. Buck Owens, Danny Gatton, Albert Lee, Steve Cropper. Eric Clapton, that guy from Led Balloon, some of the Rolling Stones, John 5.
    I don't know lets say Vince Gill, do I need to continue?

Hawking, ben smith, optofonik and 3 others like this.
  6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I have a Strat and a Tele, both 9.5" radius, and any problem I have bending up to 3 semitones is down to my fingers more than the guitar :lol: To be fair, I don't go for a super-low action in the first place, and I'm also not concerned about my action being slightly higher way up the neck.

Does the "catching" really come through your amp that much? I'm used to all manner of minor rattles and buzzes unplugged that never come through the amp.

ben smith and Richie-string like this.
  7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

It's really a combination of personal preference and musical style.
    I have all of the AVRI Strats, so I play many different radius's and I like the action really low. But, I play primarily country-rock and gospel, and tend to use a fairly light touch, and subtle bends at worst.
    What you are trying to do is going to be easiest with a flatter fingerboard, so I would lean in that direction.
    But, who know what some practice might accomplish.
    Good luck with the build.

ben smith likes this.
  8. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

this. end thread.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

get a compass and draw up to compare effective radius differences, there is not much really.

Get a cheap Squier neck and level frets into a 12 radius to put un your guitar.

ben smith likes this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Guys from the Rolling Stones shred?

11. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

I Pleked one of my necks and it removed all choking and I can lower the action significantly with minimal neck relief. A lot of it has to do with the "drop" past the15th fret. A good luthier should set you right as well.

ben smith likes this.
  12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

13. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I don't understand why you would say that a 9.5" radius isn't shreddable. That's certainly flatter than the majority of Fender guitars in circulation at the moment. Most of the metal guys who innovated shredding in the '80s and '90s did it on guitars with 9.5" radius, some of them on the vintage 7.25"!

But if 9.5" isn't flat enough for you, there's certainly options—even with Fender guitars. For instance, the Robert Cray signature Strat has a 12" radius, I think. You could certainly set that up for shredding, though I don't think Robert Cray would approve.

ben smith likes this.
  14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I have never encountered these problems people love to complain about with 7-1/4" radius boards. Hell, I wish I could see what a 5 or 6 inch radius board feels like; I bet I'd love it.

I believe some Allparts necks have a Gibson radius and medium frets. That'd probably be your easiest bet.

I really don't get the inquiry. IME, it's harder to find a Fender style neck with a 7-1/4" radius than it is to find one with a 12" radius. This has been a frustration of mine time and time again. I take a hard look at any Fender guitar that comes with the 7-1/4" radius and old-style frets, as these features are such a selling point to me...but there aren't many. Not even their standard production American made "vintage based" AO models have it any more. This makes shopping for 7-1/4" radius necks for builds a bit hard. I come across other radii like 10 and 12 quite often in my searches.

15. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

The MIM tele deluxe neck is 12” radius. I think they’re $200 brand new

ben smith likes this.
  16. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

i used to play only 84-87 japanese strats with the system 1 tremolo (vibrato). i think they had a 12" radius, but every one i ever had, 15-20 of them, could achive super low action with no fretting out. and they had good sized frets too so u could still get ur finger under the string a bit. i would check into the tele's from that same year. many of them had the flatter radius and system 1 tremolo also. u could buy one just for the neck but i believe they are all 22 fret. dont get the squires from those years unless u want smaller frets and a different feel.

Sent from my U452TL using Tapatalk

ben smith likes this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my 83 Tele has a 12" rad, 21 fret neck.. look for one of them ..:)

ben smith likes this.
  18. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Shredding!!! Two Handed tapping!!! On a Tele - blasphemy - get a Charvel, or a Jackson or something along those lines. Let's be totally honest now Ben, the good ole tele has never been a shredders delight at any stage in it's evolution (though i'm pretty sure someone is now going to post something of someone shredding on a tele, but nevertheless i still think the basic point is valid).

ben smith likes this.
  19. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

Ask and you shall receive...

RiversQC and ben smith like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.