I'm a new convert to a wound 3rd string

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by theprofessor, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Conversely

Conversely TDPRI Member

Love a wound 3rd.

Works for Tom Verlaine, too.

2. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Would be nice for acoustics if a wound 2nd and 1st were available too - I can't stand the overly-bright sounds of the plain strings and only change them when they break!

3. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I like a wound third as well and I used to play in a blues band with a wound third and "flatwounds". I currently use TI Jazz Swing flatwound strings in a 10 guage. My tele twangs great and is great for jazz as well. Intonation with the three straight saddles is good. It just works. have fun, Wayne

4. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

First guitar I tried to play as a kid had flat wound nickels with smooth feel and only 2 plain strings. Now going from acoustic 80/20s to electric d'addario's that plain g string really stands out but I'm learning to compensate with a very light touch. A wound g would be much better balanced for sure but it's nice to have the power of hitting that third string first on an upward power chord stroke. Just my 2cents.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  5. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I've been stringing my Tele in the last few months with 9s (Super Slinkys). Yesterday I realized that I hated the sound. Switched back to my old faithful XL110Ws. Yes ! That left me with one other guitar with 9s on it, my Jetstream 390. For now I'd like to have one guitar left with 9s, but I'd had enough of plain Gs, so I replaced it with an 18W. We'll see how that works out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.