I'm a little saddened today

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
the Baby deer that had been born last year in the back yard , came back for a few days and have hung around , the yearling Doe is gorgeous and was not afraid of myself or my wife or our squeeker comming up to with in feet of us to feed on the trees and grape plants in the front yard ( I love this )

P1010821.JPG

I'm glad she is fairing so well , But I cannot say the same for her brother , the young Buck had been hit by a car or truck and was hurt very badly,
his rear right leg has been amputated , his antler is missing and his rear left ankle is broken , I called Animal control I was advised that 3 legged deer are common , as long as he is hungry and eating he will perservere , but if an officer comes out they will dispatch him , I informed her the two are quite comfortable here and are welcome , I will keep an Eye on them to monitor their well being and if it looks bleak I will take steps. my main concern is his broken ankle, he's walking on his wrist basically not on his toes (so to speak) . its comming up to rut very soon so I will be looking for agressive behavior as well , he wont fair well in a joust , but the hormones will still be there.

P1010841.JPG

he showed no signs of fear from us and has returned several times in the past few days .

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
We had a three legged deer in our neighbor for YEARS. She was an adult when we moved in. We saw her for at least 4-5 years. Lots of folks in our neighborhood fed them. (We did too until we learned it's not good for them to get so much easy sugar in the dead of winter) - she was a regular at our feeder. the video we have is cool but I'm frankly amazed that a 3 legged deer survived so long. She was likely 6-7 when she died - which is natural lifespan in the wild. We don't know for certain, but I think we have a pretty good idea the coyotes got her.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Yep. I wish him well.

I know they're overpopulated in many areas, and can be destructive. My work partner was commenting just the other day that they venture boldly onto his back patio and eat the potted plants.

I also love venison; but I don't want to be any part of harming deer. Strange, I know, but same goes for all animals really. Deer are quite beautiful to watch, and nearly always move silently.

Hope he fares okay.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yep. I wish him well.

I know they're overpopulated in many areas, and can be destructive. My work partner was commenting just the other day that they venture boldly onto his back patio and eat the potted plants.

I also love venison; but I don't want to be any part of harming deer. Strange, I know, but same goes for all animals really. Deer are quite beautiful to watch, and nearly always move silently.

Hope he fares okay.
Thank you, As with all things in the real world, his fate will be what it is given his situation.
I have found these little guys ravishing the bird feeders so when the weather gets nasty, I may leave a bowl of bird seeds and apple cores on the deck for them to find.
I cant eat wild meats never got a taste for it, tried, bear jerky, venison, moose (prepared really badly)
I do like trout and salmon though

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
I like venison too, and wouldn't let it go to waste, but this guy is sadly not in for an easy fall/winter. He's on 2.5 legs.. literally his last legs. I think the ethical thing to do would be to put this one down.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Awww that is heartbreaking. Seeing any critter that's injured makes me sad. I grew up hunting but have not done so in more than 30 years.

We have a real deer problem around here because hunting is stiffly regulated and the expansion of suburbia has forced more deer into shrinking habitat. They have to compete more for food, etc., and disease is a problem too. The state licenses pro hunters to cull the larger groups to help keep the problem in check.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Having hit and killed a deer recently I wish “your” deer the best.
Mother Nature does what she needs to do. Human intervention on the other hand can be positive or negative
Beautiful animal(s) nonetheless

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
@24 track over on this end of our town we have a similar situation. We have 2 brothers born in the neighborhood. We saw them stick with the family year round. We seem to think they are 3 years old this year. Momma told them to ‘git! this year. They are each wondering around alone now. As the weather turns cool they make themselves very visible. We don’t feed them. They lay on our grass. Sun themselves. My security cameras catch them roaming the yard at night, often. They are indeed not shy.

So far so good. I’m amazed they made it through year 1. There are packs of coyotes here. Every evening at sunset you can hear them yipping. Lots of them. I figure they must be bragging about what they ate that day. They did actually take down a deer on the neighbourhood road here a couple years ago. Nothing left the next day. Everyone of the coyotes and all the scavenger birds ate well that night.

27F8599D-C250-4EF3-87F4-940090A99BFD.jpeg
164A3A3B-DC5B-4B98-BD65-FE13B54BC4CE.jpeg

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I like venison too, and wouldn't let it go to waste, but this guy is sadly not in for an easy fall/winter. He's on 2.5 legs.. literally his last legs. I think the ethical thing to do would be to put this one down.
I called animal control as soon as I saw him the first time, the officer I talked to was really suportive we talked for about a 45 min. If I notice him really having a bad time I wont let him suffer, this is about the 5th generation born in the back 1/3 acre .
At Christmas day last year I had 10 of the little buggers on the back deck staring in the window at the plants on the table , LOL

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
Really special interaction with nature. Nice.

We get bobcats and javelinas around our house and they are great, too.

The sweet little pups grow up and become adults, though.

You know how that story goes…

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
@24 track over on this end of our town we have a similar situation. We have 2 brothers born in the neighborhood. We saw them stick with the family year round. We seem to think they are 3 years old this year. Momma told them to ‘git! this year. They are each wondering around alone now. As the weather turns cool they make themselves very visible. We don’t feed them. They lay on our grass. Sun themselves. My security cameras catch them roaming the yard at night, often. They are indeed not shy.

So far so good. I’m amazed they made it through year 1. There are packs of coyotes here. Every evening at sunset you can hear them yipping. Lots of them. I figure they must be bragging about what they ate that day. They did actually take down a deer on the neighbourhood road here a couple years ago. Nothing left the next day. Everyone of the coyotes and all the scavenger birds ate well that night.

View attachment 1041627 View attachment 1041628
I have Harlo a 125lb korillian bear dog, he keeps the preditors at bay but only calls out an alarm if the deer are present, but does'nt harass them in any way. How ever if it is a bear he is totally uncontrollable and will chase them away with great vigor.

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
the Baby deer that had been born last year in the back yard , came back for a few days and have hung around , the yearling Doe is gorgeous and was not afraid of myself or my wife or our squeeker comming up to with in feet of us to feed on the trees and grape plants in the front yard ( I love this )

View attachment 1041613

I'm glad she is fairing so well , But I cannot say the same for her brother , the young Buck had been hit by a car or truck and was hurt very badly,
his rear right leg has been amputated , his antler is missing and his rear left ankle is broken , I called Animal control I was advised that 3 legged deer are common , as long as he is hungry and eating he will perservere , but if an officer comes out they will dispatch him , I informed her the two are quite comfortable here and are welcome , I will keep an Eye on them to monitor their well being and if it looks bleak I will take steps. my main concern is his broken ankle, he's walking on his wrist basically not on his toes (so to speak) . its comming up to rut very soon so I will be looking for agressive behavior as well , he wont fair well in a joust , but the hormones will still be there.

View attachment 1041615

he showed no signs of fear from us and has returned several times in the past few days .

Amazing. I had no idea that a 4-legged animal missing one leg and with the other broken could still get around reasonably.

When you say amputated, I assume you’re saying he lost the leg in the accident. Or was he actually worked on by a vet?

The persistence and determination of all creatures to live, even when seriously injured or ill, never ceases to amaze me. I hope his ankle heals to a usable state, even if a bit irregular. (Our adopted cat gets around fine with a front paw bent sideways.). It seems like your deer is already adapting!

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Amazing. I had no idea that a 4-legged animal missing one leg and with the other broken could still get around reasonably.

When you say amputated, I assume you’re saying he lost the leg in the accident. Or was he actually worked on by a vet?

The persistence and determination of all creatures to live, even when seriously injured or ill, never ceases to amaze me. I hope his ankle heals to a usable state, even if a bit irregular. (Our adopted cat gets around fine with a front paw bent sideways.). It seems like your deer is already adapting!
I assume it happened at the time of the accident, It was a little funny I went out the other day and trimmed the grape plants there are 3 vines , concord , red and green table grapes, I left the clippings on the front lawn, he came up while I was inside , laid down and had a feast with out stressing himself this is about 3 feet from the stairs up front.
animal control stated that if he is eating his chances are good , I told her that the deer are welcome here because I have the philosophy that I live in their domain , the deer dont live in mine and really who cares if the eat the leaves from the cherry tree , apricot tree, Harry lauder walking stick ( a dimented looking hazelnut tree) or mountain ash . I dont .
Kamloops is not very big as far as cities go about 80,000 people but sprawling a bit , we also have a huge herd of California big horn sheep , one of the biggest , the conservation has culled this herd to repopulate other natural habitat populations to break up limited gene pools a wise choice. and you can readily see them on the side of the road.

Main_Button_Images_37__b77096b4-b47e-42d4-8d69-c5578da75dd2.png

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
I assume it happened at the time of the accident, It was a little funny I went out the other day and trimmed the grape plants there are 3 vines , concord , red and green table grapes, I left the clippings on the front lawn, he came up while I was inside , laid down and had a feast with out stressing himself this is about 3 feet from the stairs up front.
animal control stated that if he is eating his chances are good , I told her that the deer are welcome here because I have the philosophy that I live in their domain , the deer dont live in mine and really who cares if the eat the leaves from the cherry tree , apricot tree, Harry lauder walking stick ( a dimented looking hazelnut tree) or mountain ash . I dont .
Kamloops is not very big as far as cities go about 80,000 people but sprawling a bit , we also have a huge herd of California big horn sheep , one of the biggest , the conservation has culled this herd to repopulate other natural habitat populations to break up limited gene pools a wise choice. and you can readily see them on the side of the road.

View attachment 1041644

I agree with your philosophy of letting animals be. Some people buy plastic deer statues that most likely won’t eat their roses. But you and I have real deer in our yards. (Well, at least I did in my previous house.)

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I hope he makes it, the older you get the softer your heart!
I have always had a spot for animals , and although I have unintentionally hurt some animals , it was never my intent, doesnt matter what species , I have had grizzlies on my back porch, which is rare for this area , but it was right after the horendous fires they had lost their habitat and were passing through the 3 yearling bears were looking for some thing to eat and were passing through so no threat they were scared and hungry , these guys dont like people so they moved on really quickly.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I agree with your philosophy of letting animals be. Some people buy plastic deer statues that most likely won’t eat their roses. But you and I have real deer in our yards. (Well, at least I did in my previous house.)
I am really lucky I live abour 8 KM out of town up on a butte , tons of unfettered land around , the view is killer up here, all the houses in front of me are below street level so the view is magical, the animals are etherial, from the 5 stellar Jays that follow me around ( for peanuts of course) beautiful Magpies ( crows in fancy pajamas ) I have 8 ring neck doves that are here daily , I get up in the am and watch the birds , humming birds by the ton, one year I found a baby Hbird looked like a moth at first 1/4inch long beautiful, these are all things we miss when we are working for a living , we miss the day to day drama right under our noses.
occasionally we get Deer mice inhabit the garage in the winter I have to trap them and dispatch them ( they pack many fatal diseases ) I used to place them in the garbage now I leave them out side in the peanut dish and they are gone post haste , crows or magpies I guess.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That deer looks to cute to be turned into Venison. Please look after him- keep us posted on his domesticity.
I will , they travel around but always come back to here , weather is cooling down so they will be around more , as long as they are here there wont be bears , as soon as they go I keep an eye for the bears , but Harlo will find them first .LOL