I'm a "corrected" lefty, and honestly a little bitter about it

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m a lefty and grateful that my father encouraged me to play righty as I have many more choices available

I do believe I have less dexterity In my fretting(left) hand but it could be from the palsy as a child…..

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Both my parents are right handed... My two older brothers and I are lefty's....I was born in 1950. Fortunately we were not changed... My dad was an all American athlete in college and he understood the advantages of being left handed in sports. I play guitar right handed lol. I throw left, bat right, golf right putt left... Go figure.
My parents are both righties, I write left handed, I play right, throw left, swing a hammer with my left but can hammer equally well with both, I golf right handed too, and bat righty

They say us lefties are special somehow….

TheZ

Tele-Meister
I was given a right-handed guitar for the same reason as many folks here, because it would be easier to find them going forward. Honestly I couldn't be happier. I'm pretty "severely" left-handed in that there's as big disparity in the amount of coordination between the two, but I think that is better served with fretting than picking.

I will say, not using a pick has been a huge thing for me too because it allows my right hand to have more of a feel for where it is, where I'd otherwise have more difficulty due to the lack of coordination with more complicated things like holding a pick. Overall I would say being a lefty playing righty has affected my playing style but not negatively at all because it fits with the music I like to play. Everyone's got their thing that works for them!

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm left-handed and was taught from the start, in '68, to play right-handed.

About four years ago I attended a guitar workshop led by Hammond Bennett, best known for his drop-D mastery.

He was trying to show me a simple finger-style alternating thumb riff, and I couldn't do it. I finally said, "Sorry, I have a stupid right hand."

He asked if I was left-handed. I said yes, and went into a seething rant about teachers who make lefties play right-handed. Said I'd never manage it.

For a little while, I just contented myself with cursing the guy who first taught me guitar. Then I said "Waydaminnit! Why not?" and really buckled down like never before to train my right thumb. (The Coronocaust helped.)

I'll never be great at it, but I can, for instance, do a good, solid "Mystery Train" courtesy of Scotty Moore and a highly persuasive "Smokestack Lighting" a la Howlin' Wolf and have come up with entertaining treatments of Memphis Jug Band's "On the Road Again," Fred McDowell's "Kokomo Blues," Robert Johnson's "Walking Blues," and a few other tunes.

Poured hours into every song, but they've been happy hours. Just a sucker for a handy guitar, I guess. Go figure!

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I'm a lefty that plays right handed. Started out in school being taught to use my right hand for writing though I'm left handed. This was in the mid 90s! Changed school at age 6 when my parents realized what was going on when they saw I was in fact left handed and not right.

I am self taught guitar and bass player and always felt easier to use my "strong arm" for strumming and my left for the dexterity side. Doesn't meant I'm any good however...

dougbgt6

Tele-Meister
it isn't standardized practice, and it just creates complications (certain things with instruction or construction not being able to be standardized, people getting poked with bows for no reason, etc., etc.) cause it's arbitrary (look at the harp example).

there are right-hand and left-hand drive cars, and righties and lefties drive them with equal proficiency in their native systems. lefties learn right-hand drive slightly faster than righties (their dominant hand is on the wheel and dominant leg on the clutch for manual) and righties learn left-hand drive slightly faster than lefties...but it all equals out and makes no difference in the long run.

i'm willing to bet that if history had it that righties play with the neck to the right of them, then lefties would probably be making some argument about how it's a hindrance they can't use their dominant hand on the neck for increased dexterity. don’t even mean to single out lefties, that’s just how people are.

point being, many things are a legitimate slight against lefties, but some things are just arbitrary (this being one of them). it's just a standardization thing.
People getting poked with bows? what twaddle! RHD, LHD nothing to do with it! Lefties complaining? There's the rub, we have someone who has a downer on Lefties. A sad man. But no more of this. Life is too short to bother with this nonsense

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
I am a proud lefty who has never regarded left-handedness as 'incorrect'. Thats why I have never pampered to the right-hand brigade's ideaology of it being 'backwards' or 'upside-down'. And I never will.
Amen !
I was born left handed.
True blue left handed.
I tried a right handed guitar at a very young age and it didn't take me too long to realize
that wasn't going to work.
Luckily my parents were cool enough to understand and I got a left handed Kent electric guitar.
I've never looked back.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
Born in 1963
Nobody told me anything wrong about writing with my left hand.

Remember one day in school when learning to write (6yo).
Me alone at the cardboard, and started writing from wright to left. Stopped writing as fellows start laughing, then I erased the sentence, and started from left to right right away.
Never did it before nor later.
That is the perfect mirrored image of a lefty from wrightys writing.

I remember a couple times someone told me not to cross myself with my left hand, but I kept doing so.

There were certain objects almost impossible to manage, but not too many in my case.
The worst? Playing baseball with a left hand glove.
Guitars? I don't think this makes any difference in my playing.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm also a lefty who plays right-handed.

I do appreciate what I can do on the fretboard with natural ease, but my right hand accuracy is very poor. I can't really pick anything beyond 16th-notes, and certainly can't do it for extended periods with consistency. And trying to do any kind of fingerpicking with anything approaching any kind of deftness is out of the question.

Then there's all of that really nuanced stuff with how a good right-handed player can get different sorts of textures and stuff on individual strings. I can't do most of that.

It's really the same thing with strumming for me, too.

I'm mostly okay with it, because I have little desire to play like someone like John Petrucci does, but I would like to do alternate picking like in some surf music. But now in my mid-50's, I'm not sure I'd really want to get a left-handed guitar and learn to play it.

So for anyone who says it really doesn't matter, I'm here to tell you that if you're super-dominant in your left hand and try to play right-handed, then it is a real struggle to do much beyond basic slow strumming and picking. Or at the very least, you have to adapt your style to be more legato, and even rely on the fretting hand to fill in the gaps with hammer-ons and -offs.

Last edited: