I'm a "corrected" lefty, and honestly a little bitter about it

Pcs264

Tele-Meister
OP, with all respect, I think your original teacher was doing you a huge favor by getting you to play like a righty. Beyond the fact that right-handers have enormously more options for guitars at all price levels, can read & use standard tablature, etc., remember that (a) almost all instrumentalists have to use both hands, and (b) there are almost no left-handed pianos, organs, saxophones, violins, etc. I'm a severe righty, and I've often said that my left hand only does two things: play chords & runs on the fretboards of my guitars, and make me look symmetrical...

Last edited:

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
If any of you play golf and want to really see the difference between a pro, and even a good amateur, watch them hit left-handed shots with right-handed clubs. I once saw a guy flip a wedge upside down, playing on the old Hogan tour here at the Bakersfield Country club. His ball was up against a bush, he just hit it left-handed about three feet from the hole, made birdie. I'm lucky to even make contact with the ball doing that, let alone control it.
I use woods and irons right handed but I'm a lefty when it comes to putting.
I get more control and accuracy putting as a lefty, plus I'm less inclined to lift my head.

I think it might be to do with being right handed with most things (I use a hand saw and hammer as a lefty), but I found out via some shooting lessons that I'm left eye dominant.
It probably has a lot to do with hand-eye coordination because I've became a better pool player when I play lefty.

I'm now wondering if using a set of lefty clubs might improve on my appalling slice.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I get more control and accuracy putting as a lefty, plus I'm less inclined to lift my head.

I think it might be to do with being right handed with most things (I use a hand saw and hammer as a lefty), but I found out via some shooting lessons that I'm left eye dominant.
It probably has a lot to do with hand-eye coordination because I've became a better pool player when I play lefty.

I'm now wondering if using a set of lefty clubs might improve on my appalling slice.
Probably cause you to have an appalling HOOK! ;) BTW, on the shooting, if you keep both eyes open, it doesn't matter which stance you take. I learned to shoot a pistol looking over the sights not at them with both eyes open. Helps your pointer instincts, and you can see the bullets impact the target. Having both eyes open keeps something from coming at you on your blind side too, and you will have a blind side with one eye shut.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

Just kidding about the hook. If you slice, you're hitting the ball with the club open to your swing path, that's it, nothing more, nothing less. Your swing is like a pie plate or hula hoop that goes around you, swing path is just like the bottom of the hula hoop. If the path is to the left, and the club is open to the swing path, you will impart slice spin, if it is closed you will impart hook spin. If the path is to the right and your clubface is open, the slice will be even worse, but the hook will be more manageable if the face is square or closed.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Probably cause you to have an appalling HOOK! ;) BTW, on the shooting, if you keep both eyes open, it doesn't matter which stance you take. I learned to shoot a pistol looking over the sights not at them with both eyes open. Helps your pointer instincts, and you can see the bullets impact the target. Having both eyes open keeps something from coming at you on your blind side too, and you will have a blind side with one eye shut.
That reminds me of the joke about the guy who was always telling hookers to move their thumb around the shaft a bit more.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter

Forgot about goof when I posted earlier. I only tried playing 2-3 years during a couple lengthy job layoffs and broke 100 once.
I also used right handed clubs until it was time to putt which was so much more natural than right handed. My step-dad (10 handicap) told me that I should play right handed because of the way most courses are laid out. I guess that matters if you are at the level where you purposefully slice or fade shots but for a hacker like me, a set of lefty clubs would have suited me better at the time.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
There's also the whole issue of the dominant hand being the logical choice for fretting, so righties should naturally play left handed.

Me though, playing rhythmically with the dominant hand pulls the weaker hand into time. So if I play piano, I play like a lefty..

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Frank Frazetta (everyone has seen his artwork at some time) was right-handed. He had a stroke and lost the use of his right arm. He thought he was finished until a friend said the art was in his brain. He continued painting with his left hand (10 years?). If you are right handed, do you put shaving cream in your left hand to put it on your face? Try putting it in your right hand and applying it. . . I have to concentrate or it goes up my nose.

1659473845864.png

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
My father taught me at a very young age (4) that I was a defective human being for holding my crayons in my left hand while coloring in my coloring book. So convinced was he that I was a factory reject, that he actually took to the doctor to find out if there could be a remedy. The doctor told him the remedy was to leave me the bloody hell alone!

Enjoyed your story. Sounds like you had a heck of a doctor!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
To somef
I started as a violinist, then a bassist, then guitar and a couple others. I’m right handed. Without a doubt my right fingers are faster, stronger and more accurate and more touch sensitive. Point is I have always wondered if a righty would play better and learn faster on a left handed guitar.
I am a lefty that plays righty. I have really never given it a second thought you need to use both hands. I also fish. Have you ever looked at right handed bait casting reels? Cast with your right hand then switch hands to reel. If you are left handed you cast left handed and reach up to reel with your right hand. A right handed bait casting reel is actually left handed.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Born in '56, was already handwriting with my left when I went to Kindergarten. In first grade they made me start printing, and switch. I'm ambidextrous now. Never once even thought of trying the guitar the left way..... And I use BOTH eyes with a scope when I shoot. Right eye is fine control, left eye is target acquisition.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
Justin Guitar has a series of lessons as "Nitsuj" where he tries to relearn the guitar left handed.
It's certainly an interesting exercise.

Keep in mind that in the US and much of the world you've managed to learn how to drive your cars, busses and trucks back to front, whereas here in the UK as well as Aus and Japan we do it right ;-p

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Justin Guitar has a series of lessons as "Nitsuj" where he tries to relearn the guitar left handed.
It's certainly an interesting exercise.

Keep in mind that in the US and much of the world you've managed to learn how to drive your cars, busses and trucks back to front, whereas here in the UK as well as Aus and Japan we do it right ;-p

I watched that series from Justin when it came out. Love that guy and everything he does 👍🏼

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
I think you’re overthinking it. There are no left-handed violins, violas, cellos, contrabasses (nevermind pianos, wind instruments, etc). And if I remember correctly, there was a study that noted the percentage of left-handed concertmasters was higher than left-handed people in the general population. If anything, it’s an advantage to have the dominant hand on the fingerboard.

As a righty, playing guitar has made my left hand almost as dexterous as my right. I still can’t write with it, but I do/prefer a lot of stuff in daily life that non-musicians who are righties don’t do with it.

Playing an instrument is awkward in the beginning, so flipping it at that point in your development probably was just a marginal difference that would even out later anyway.
OMG …not this crap again!?!?!

willietheweirdo

Tele-Meister
Not sure if I was originally a lefty. Some things I prefer doing as a left handed person, some things right. I'll shoot a rifle lefty if I can(can shoot right if I need to), but prefer handguns as a righty.
When I first picked up my dad's acoustic, I tried playing it lefty. Was corrected, and it seemed strange at first. I'm not truly ambidextrous, but I just have things I prefer with a certain hand.
Same. Picked up my mom's acoustic, tried playing it lefty. Was corrected...

We are "cross-dominant" and get lumped in with lefties. Now I actually think a lot of the things that I do left-handed, I'm better at simply because I assumed I was a lefty and set out getting more practice that way. 😳 Here's what I'm talking about:
LeftyRightyNo preference
DrumsGuitarComputer mice
BasketballWoodwindsDrinking
Baseball (batting)Baseball (throwing)Baseball (catching)
TennisArchery, slingshotsWhisking/mixing/stirring
FirearmsBowlingScissors
ChopsticksCracking an eggEating (using flatware)
GolfSwinging an axeUsing a laser pointer
Fencing/swinging a sword or hatchetUsing a screwdriverShaving
Brushing teethChopping vegetablesNose pickin'...
FishingUsing a stapler
Using a power drillThrowing darts, knives, axes
Writing

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
OMG …not this crap again!?!?!

I mean, the elephant in the room is that it’s only guitarists who feel the need to unnecessarily complicate their lives (drums are trivial to set up lefty). And we often see a lot of posts about neck comfort and other stuff from people who honestly haven’t been playing long enough or at a high enough level to know what they need (i.e. blame the gear for their technique).

Often times the problems are really basic things - you’re not holding the guitar high enough, your wrist is too bent, your picking hand isn’t making the correct motion, etc.

But it’s a free country, I can’t really talk complicating my own life with say, Linux, haha. I just wouldn’t start someone out lefty or recommend they do.

Last edited:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was born in 47. My mother was left-handed as was my middle brother. Early on, I just copied them. Once I went to parochial school, the Nuns adjusted me back to righty. Fortunately it was natural so I corrected easily. However I cut food with my left hand, am goofy foot and can write reasonably well with both hands. I can not throw or bat left handed. As a higher school pole vaulted, being left footed was a problem.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I make left handed guitars as well as right handed guitars. hard to play them after a set up though..;)

I'm a lefty turned righty as a school kid....

I kick footballs and surf lefty...my (right)hand writing is terrible...

the guitars were rightys, I learned how to play them that way....