I'm a "corrected" lefty, and honestly a little bitter about it

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh, you say I should play righty anyway because my most dexterous hand is my left? Good, go and switch all your guitars over to left hand then, righty! Let me know how that works out for you.

Depending how far in you are, it doesn’t make sense to switch. Gotta just ride it out, righty or lefty. If a righty learned on a lefty guitar, I’m sure they’d have the same overall learning experience, and it would make no sense to switch to a righty guitar later and throw out their progress.

The only thing I will say is that playing a righty strung guitar lefty (with the high E closest to you) is not a great choice for more advanced chording stuff. I’m sure we can cherry pick savants, but I feel like the majority of people I see play this way (as opposed to people who just play guitar strung lefty) hit a ceiling.

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
Not sure if I was originally a lefty. Some things I prefer doing as a left handed person, some things right. I'll shoot a rifle lefty if I can(can shoot right if I need to), but prefer handguns as a righty.
When I first picked up my dad's acoustic, I tried playing it lefty. Was corrected, and it seemed strange at first. I'm not truly ambidextrous, but I just have things I prefer with a certain hand.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
I'm the same age as the OP. When I was in kindergarten, I wrote with either hand. My teacher was a young woman who didn't follow the notion that the left hand was the Devil's hand and you had to convert a child to writing right-handed. She left me to figure it out, and I eventually became a lefty writer.

But I do many things right-handed: throwing, batting, shooting, playing guitar. Conversely, I use the left hand to hold glasses or silverware.

I always thought being a left-handed writer aided me as a right-handed guitar player, because the dexterity required for fretting notes and chords seemed to come natural to me.

It's a shame the OP's original teacher forced him to change. I've played with a few "upside-down" guitarists over the years, and it didn't limit their ability in any way.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Family trait is high degree manual dexterity. Both hands employed for whatever task, used mostly equally. I'm guessing I'm about 60/40 right bias.

I'm sure it would take me a few hours to switch to a LH guitar.

Always felt it stupid to force handedness on people. Kid across the street was a right-forced lefty. His dad would abuse/beat him if he was caught.

I have right/left disorientation. Don't go where I say, go where I point!

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I'm one of those weirdos that was born ambidextrous. I can use either hand for pretty much anything I do but favor certain hands for certain things (write righty, throw lefty, etc.) but play guitar right handed. I started when I was old enough to realize that most people play righty and more guitars are made for them so I just kind of stuck it out, haha.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m a lefty that plays righty and I think that my dexterity is a little worse on my fretting hand especially since I was born with some sort of palsy in it

But… I’m glad my dad encouraged me to play righty because of all the choices I have guitar wise

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I was born one morning when the sun didn't shine. I picked up my shovel, and well that's when the whole thing went off the rails. For one thing, my shovel was a LEFT-HANDED shovel! For another, whoever works in supplies for newborns needs some TRAINING! What am I supposed to do with TWO LEFT SHOES?

Tennessee Ernie nearly didn't become famous because of these wardrobe problems which shouldn't have been a problem to start with. Fortunately for old Ern, we got things squared away, and well, you know the rest of the story.

Jerry J

Friend of Leo's
I can only relate through my father and many friends, and a young person who works for me. All I can say is, I get it... I am slightly OCD about my hands and how I use them, and as a kid was fascinated with ambidexterity/left-handedness on account of my dad. My mom says you folks are in more accidents, more likely to fall, etc., because of the orientation of the world toward us righties.

But at least they're not trying to correct it anymore; seems barbaric. They tried to drill it out of my poor pops (born in 1948), but he had dyslexia as well, so they focused on that problem when he was a kid and let him write however he could. He has perfect penmanship, rights either top to bottom with the page rotated 90 degrees clockwise, or else fully upside down. Dude is a savant.
If you went to some Catholic schools the nuns would have beaten that out of you. Can't have that going on after all

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I'm one of those weirdos that was born ambidextrous. I can use either hand for pretty much anything I do but favor certain hands for certain things (write righty, throw lefty, etc.) but play guitar right handed. I started when I was old enough to realize that most people play righty and more guitars are made for them so I just kind of stuck it out, haha.
Me too.
Throwing is lefty except frisbee. Can do both but righty is stronger
Guitar-righty
kicking-lefty
anything with a ball-lefty also hockey lefty
write-righty
throw something at/to me andI'll grab it with the closest hand.
It gets wierd sometimes.

Jerry J

Friend of Leo's
I’m a lefty that plays righty and I think that my dexterity is a little worse on my fretting hand especially since I was born with some sort of palsy in it

But… I’m glad my dad encouraged me to play righty because of all the choices I have guitar wise
That's another good point - a few friends that are lefties have had difficult times finding guitars, especially vintage instruments.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Playing an instrument eventually boils down to muscle memory - not handedness. Just as there are no left-handed pianos (that I know of). What do ambidextrous people do - only play maracas? You train your hands and brain to play ANY instrument. Configuration shouldn't really matter.

Are there any other left-handed instruments out there?

I do agree there is no RIGHT way to do anything.

Jerry J

Friend of Leo's
You know in the world of MT biking Cannondale has made their reputation of bikes with these forks:
IMG_20160112_193812679.jpg
2015 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3 Specs.png

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I followed the path of Duane Allman and Mark Knopfler - lefty playing righty. My first guitar teacher gave up on me after a few weeks. I'm not the least bit bitter.

There are disadvantages: Flatpicking is tough.
There are advantages: my left-hand articulation is abnormally high and precise. I learned classical style and have integrated its right-hand technique into all my playing, PRN.

But... fun stuff:
My first grade teacher thought I was learning impaired because I wrote my letters backwards. My mother, also a teacher, asked me to tell her how I was being taught and I mimiced the teacher: "Start at the top and move away from your body, then down half-way then back towards your body." I was following instructions to the T, which perfectly created backwards letters. I mother asked the teacher to change her technique. The teacher came to me and said, "Don't do what I say, just make it look like mine." Ie., teach yourself. I did.

I can write simultaneously with left and right hands but the left hand flips and does mirror images when I do.

I kick off left-footed and punt right-footed. Don't know why.

I am PROFOUNDLY left-handed and left eye dominant in shooting sports but I am ranked as a sharpshooter.

Left-eye dominant people actually see differently from righties. Lefties have found that even if they compose photos according to classic compositional techniques, right-handed teachers just think there is something odd about their composition. Flip the negative and all is well.

I mouse with the right hand because I share most computers with righties. I can't draw a straight line or sign my name that way, though.

Right-handed people hear differently from left-handed people. They hear high frequency activity (hi-hats, consonants, etc.) on the right and held notes and vowels on the left. Forty years ago as a new recording engineer I had to learn to flip the natural soundstage to right-handed orientation or it would seem dark to righties. Now it is perfectly normal to me.

Bob

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
When I started playing, left handed guitars were about $100 more. This was the early '70's. I went to Catholic school, and the nuns didn't want me using the "Devils Hand" to write with. My Mom set them straight. Playing right handed was awkward at first, but now I consider it an advantage.