I'm 95% sure I have diabetes

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
Let me preface this by saying:
I am NOT seeking medical or nutritional advice. I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for Monday. I am just venting because I feel like I got careless with my health, and I take full responsibility for it. I'm not whining, and am prepared to take the necessary dietary and medical steps to change.

Now that's out of the way, the good news is that I've been sober from alcohol for about three weeks now. However, starting about a week ago, I have had an insatiable thirst and peeing a lot. I have also had other tell-tale signs like blurry vision, fatigue, and more. I have various risk-factors for it: While not close to obesity, I am overweight, I've had a fatty liver most my life, a family history of it (mostly type I), and a few others.

What made me think about 50% sure I have diabetes to 95% is that my girlfriend was able to bring a coworker's old glucometer home, and my blood sugar was about 285 about a half hour ago. For those who don't know, that's way too high. This is without eating since last night (so that's fasting for 18 hours or so; I know that sounds horrible not to eat, is not common, and is another story unrelated). I know how glucometers work (my girlfriend works in cardiac rehab and has to take blood sugar from patients a lot too), so I don't think this is a false positive. Now, I'm looking to get confirmation with my A1C levels through bloodwork and have more than a few appointments to be made if indeed it looks like I have diabetes.

[This part might get a bit preachy and is far more verbose than I meant, but anybody who knows somebody or suffered themselves from addiction might appreciate it]
I made a post about my struggle with alcohol somewhat recently on here and haven't drank since. I have not been a using alcoholic for too much of my life, but it was long enough: part of 2013 and 2019-2022. The routine was pretty much work, get home, get drunk, be an a-hole (at times). My ex-wife and current girlfriend were pretty much the same in every respect, but they are sober now too. Chronic alcoholic abuse destroys virtually every organ in the body, and the pancreas is no different. I'm glad I quit when I did, but of course, would have preferred it to be earlier for many reasons. Not all of us are able to pickle our bodies like Keef.

I don't view this all as a step back, however, as getting off booze was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life. I also know I'm not free and clear of it by a long shot.

Time to pay off my health debt, and here's to a healthy life ahead of me. Very limited carbs, no booze.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Your doctor will likely perform a HbA1c test to confirm. It is basically your average blood sugar reading over the last 3 months.

That being said, Type 2 diabetes is a serious disease, and manageable - especially early on. Sometimes it can even be reversed with diet/exercise - mostly DIET. Some diabetics are really addicted to carbohydrates and have a difficult time restricting them. However, this is the best way to manage Type 2 diabetes, but not the easiest. The easiest is a lifetime of pills and/or insulin. Try to find a doctor who will work with you to work on reversing the diabetes and not just doling out prescriptions. If you managed one addiction, you can likely manage carbohydrate restriction.

Good luck!!

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
Your doctor will likely perform a HbA1c test to confirm. It is basically your average blood sugar reading over the last 3 months.

That being said, Type 2 diabetes is a serious disease, and manageable - especially early on. Sometimes it can even be reversed with diet/exercise - mostly DIET. Some diabetics are really addicted to carbohydrates and have a difficult time restricting them. However, this is the best way to manage Type 2 diabetes, but not the easiest. The easiest is a lifetime of pills and/or insulin. Try to find a doctor who will work with you to work on reversing the diabetes and not just doling out prescriptions. If you managed one addiction, you can likely manage carbohydrate restriction.

Good luck!!
Thank you! One risk factor I did not mention is that I had prediabetes before, but I radically changed my diet and got rid of it. Ice cream was replaced by Greek yogurt, rice with cauliflower rice, etc. I then got careless when my numbers didn’t seem to alarm my PCP for the last few years.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Thank you! One risk factor I did not mention is that I had prediabetes before, but I radically changed my diet and got rid of it. Ice cream was replaced by Greek yogurt, rice with cauliflower rice, etc. I then got careless when my numbers didn’t seem to alarm my PCP for the last few years.
If you can, try to work with a nutritionist, because even some of your new foods are not the best. Complex carbs are better than sugary carbs, but are still carbs. Fructose is the enemy!

Most of us diabetics have a condition called insulin resistance, and that can usually be reversed early on. It is actually more of a problem than high blood sugar, because it feeds the diabetes and weight gain. For many people, almost every diabetes medicine adds weight, compounding the problem. If at all possible, try to manage it with carb restriction and exercise. You can do it!

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
If you can, try to work with a nutritionist, because even some of your new foods are not the best. Complex carbs are better than sugary carbs, but are still carbs. Fructose is the enemy!

Most of us diabetics have a condition called insulin resistance, and that can usually be reversed early on. It is actually more of a problem than high blood sugar, because it feeds the diabetes and weight gain. For many people, almost every diabetes medicine adds weight, compounding the problem. If at all possible, try to manage it with carb restriction and exercise. You can do it!
Thank you! I plan on seeing a nutritionist.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Good for you on being prepared to get your health in order ,and quitting drinking. I stopped drinking about 14months ago ,after 35 years of drinking too much too often.not everyday, but still way too much. Long story short, I can see that it’s doing me good ,mentally and physically. Good luck to you

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
Hi Pennyroyalfrog. First of all good on you for addressing this with professionals.

I'm curious though, if you don't mind a question. When I read the first part of your post, it wasn't clear if you thought you were diabetic while you were drinking, or only after quitting?

andy__d

Tele-Meister
Best wishes from a long time type 1. If you are planning on seeing a nutritionist, one thing that will help that meeting no end is, for as many days as you can before your appointment, keep a detailed food diary (and, if possible, take a photo on your phone of everything you eat which helps assess Portion sizes). They’ll almost always ask you to start keeping a food Diary; if you start out your first meeting by giving them that data, you can get ”one appointment ahead”.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
The alcohol could have been suppressing your glucose levels. Mine go down when I drink alcohol--it can prevent your liver from dumping glucose into your blood.

I was diagnosed type 2 about 2 years ago. After 6 months of watching my diet and exercise, I lost about 50 lbs and got my levels back down to "normal." I still have to be careful with carbs, but I feel so much better now than I did. It's only going to get better for you from here.

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
Hi Pennyroyalfrog. First of all good on you for addressing this with professionals.

I'm curious though, if you don't mind a question. When I read the first part of your post, it wasn't clear if you thought you were diabetic while you were drinking, or only after quitting?

Sorry for the confusion. I tend to have a hard time being concise.

I did not think I was diabetic when I was drinking. I also do not think there is a correlation between me stopping drinking and this occurring because of it. The signs of diabetes only occurred starting about a week ago, which at the time I was sick with some sort of upper respiratory thing (was tested for COVID with both rapid and PCR and both were negative.) I don't think the infection was causation though given my history. I am aware that viral infections have been reported to "activate" dormant genes.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
What made me think about 50% sure I have diabetes to 95% is that my girlfriend was able to bring a coworker's old glucometer home, and my blood sugar was about 285 about a half hour ago. For those who don't know, that's way too high. This is without eating since last night (so that's fasting for 18 hours or so; I know that sounds horrible not to eat, is not common, and is another story unrelated). I know how glucometers work (my girlfriend works in cardiac rehab and has to take blood sugar from patients a lot too), so I don't think this is a false positive. Now, I'm looking to get confirmation with my A1C levels through bloodwork and have more than a few appointments to be made if indeed it looks like I have diabetes.

BRAVO to you for going into this with a positive attitude. You are probably adding many years to your life by being proactive on this.

Mojo to ya!

Billy3

Tele-Holic
I have many family members and a few friends with diabetes. I was on dialysis for almost 2 years and met a lot of people who have had it as well. Game changer. My thoughts and good vibes are going out for you my friend. Best of luck on Monday. Keep us posted.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
One thing I have learned in life is that everyone is walking around dealing with something. No exceptions. In most cases, we can't control what life throws at us, the only thing we get to control is how we handle it.

No self-guilt, no judgements, just take care of business and move forward....doing that will lead to success.

I have been clinically dead 6 times now in my 53 trips around the Sun. I have been blown up, stabbed, shot, died on the table,drowned, and even struck dead by lightning....TWICE. You don't get through life cleanly, it often takes real struggle, but you make no excuses and keep doing your best. Even now, I have a new enemy looking for number 7, but I am winning that one so far.

Beating the alcohol is a major victory friend. It proves you have the will to tackle anything. This will just be another nuisance in life that you will handle, no doubts about it. Good luck, and keep smiling....it pisses off the Grim Reaper.

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
Time to pay off my health debt, and here's to a healthy life ahead of me. Very limited carbs, no booze.
You can beat it.

15 months ago my a1c was just short of full blown type 2. Weighed 267-269 I think it was. Doc wanted to talk about insulin but I told him to give me 3 months. Did hours of research, and basically started doing it all myself.

Fast forward to March of this year. a1c was 5.2 (normal range) and doc told me it's lower than his. He's 44 and runs marathons lol

Just this morning I stepped on the scale. 169 1/2 lbs. Just 2 1/2 lbs away from dropping out of the overweight category.

Anyhow, you may just be pre diabetic, not full blown. Go see doc and after that if you are interested I'll tell you what I did besides eating right and taking the metaformin doc prescribed.

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
One thing I have learned in life is that everyone is walking around dealing with something. No exceptions. In most cases, we can't control what life throws at us, the only thing we get to control is how we handle it.

No self-guilt, no judgements, just take care of business and move forward....doing that will lead to success.

I have been clinically dead 6 times now in my 53 trips around the Sun. I have been blown up, stabbed, shot, died on the table,drowned, and even struck dead by lightning....TWICE. You don't get through life cleanly, it often takes real struggle, but you make no excuses and keep doing your best. Even now, I have a new enemy looking for number 7, but I am winning that one so far.

Beating the alcohol is a major victory friend. It proves you have the will to tackle anything. This will just be another nuisance in life that you will handle, no doubts about it. Good luck, and keep smiling....it pisses off the Grim Reaper.
Yikes! Yes, life throws curveballs. I almost died a couple times and woke up in the hospital confused, but my heart never quit beating so I was not clinically dead. Two of the worst periods of my life, lasting a few months each time, were actually from severe insomnia. The second time it just went away on its own, but is no wonder sleep depravation is used as torture. I could literally feel myself going insane. I completely eschew caffeine and try to practice good sleep hygiene now, but it is still a struggle. I digress.

Glad you made it through those times. I cannot say I have faced such horror.