1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I'll Probably Kick Myself For This, but...wiring prob

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Randypttt, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Bought a Mojotone wiring harness to replace all the old pots and switch that came on my 85 MIJ Squier Tele coz they were all going to crap one by one. These are the original innards that I also put in my '11 CV 50 when those pots went down (they really don't make things like they use to)

They've held up all this time until about a year ago. I had put them back in the MIJ after I decided to turn it back from being an Esquire to a regular Tele.

But after attaching all the proper connections to their proper places on pots and switch I get some hum but no sound. If I turn either the volume or the tone pot I can hear a difference in the hum; hums dies or gets bassy accordingly. Like everything is connected right but something is keeping the pickups from responding.

It's just the standard 3-way set up that I have, personally, soldered at least a half dozen times with no problems. I'm not a pro at this obviously, hence the Mojotone, but I did once replace a 5-way in my Squier St Strat. That was a headache.o_O

Any advice would be appreciated immensely

Cheers standard_tele.jpg

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

A pic of your wiring job will help...anything without it is guessing.

But check to make sure everything is properly grounded, and look at the connections for the output jack--on both ends of the wires.

Also, does the problem go away when the control plate is not screwed down in the guitar? If so, the issue may be a solder tab contacting shielding paint or foil in the control cavity.

3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

check the wires that run to your output jack, might be reversed.

Steve Holt likes this.
  4. Randypttt

mojo.jpg
    Inkedstandard_tele_Lcolor.jpg

I took a pic that's not so clear and then modified the wiring diagram because I wont be able to explain what the colors are about easily.

So from the neck pickup there's black and yellow going to the pot and green going to the switch. In the pic the black and yellow have come away from the pot but were soldered on before I started futzing around.
    From the bridge pickup is a wrapped brown line and a black going to the pot and a blue going to the switch. Pretty much like the diagram.

The rest is Mojotone's wiring and caps and it's all wrapped or coated. No idea what's under there. But it looks like it's all going where it's supposed to.

In the past I've just had to bundle the black wires with the color and solder on the pot. Presto! But not this time.

5. ScottJPatrick

Pretty sure your neck pickup is wired wrong, black and green should normally go to the pot if the yellow wire is for grounding the cover. Maybe Mojotone use different colours. You also want to make sure that braided wire isn't shorting everything out when you close the control plate, looks pretty close to the vol input.

JamesAM and Randypttt like this.
  6. Randypttt

I think you may be right Scott. I'll see what's going on with the braided wire also. Don't remember any trouble with it before but...

Thanks a bunch Scott

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I can't clearly see what's happening there, but make sure that giant capacitor isn't pushing up against the volume pot's lugs and causing a short.

8. Randypttt

I knew it. I'm about to put boot to ass. I traded the yellow for the green and all was divine. Thanks for lookin out.

LutherBurger, Steve Holt and BB like this.
  9. ScottJPatrick

Hey, that's what we're here for! Glad to help.

Randypttt likes this.
  10. Randypttt

Maybe you can help one more time. You mentioned the braided wire's too close to the pot. Well it's getting compressed between the side of the cavity and the pot. And shorting out the whole mess. I think.

It took me a while to figure this out after having way too many fits and starts. I had everything wired right and then it would die as I was placing it in the cavity. After taking it out again I'd always find one or another wire disengaged from it's terminal or pot. So annoying.

Last time there were no problems I could see except the braid squished. Do I peel the braided stuff away from the wires or cut it off? Router the cavity a bit to ease the pressure?

Thought I was done kickin myself but I'm ready for another go. Let me know what you think.
    And thanks

11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure I really see a purpose for that braided wire. I could be wrong because the picture is only showing me one angle. The pots are making contact with the plate (metal on metal) so if your pots are grounded (black wire from the third volume lug to the back of the volume pot appears to be in order) then both should be grounded together by the control plate, and there's no need to run a bare braided wire from pot to plate, especially if you think that's what's causing your problems. I'd remove it entirely and see if that fixes anything. Do you have a ground wire going to the bridge?

Looking at the picture again, looks like I assumed that braided wire went to the plate. Where does it go? That might be the wire that goes to your bridge. If so I would replace it with something insulated. Because it's probably not grounding out when it makes contact with the pot, because those are already grounded, but if it's long and gets squished in there and makes contact with the lugs of the pots or anywhere on the switch that'll cause some troubles.

I would not route the cavity. There isn't much room in a tele between the edge of the plate and the edge of the cavity. a few millimeters is all. Route too far and now you have a hole you can't cover.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Randypttt likes this.
  12. Randypttt

Yeah, @ScottJPatrick was also concerned about the braided wire. I've actually forgotten what the guy (Fezz Parka) said about that. We had some emails about this after he made the pickup and I can't remember anything about it (old age, too much weed in my youth...take yer pick)
    It makes sense though. If it's just a ground I think I'm already there. Maybe it had to do with it going in an Esquire. But I don't think so. Maybe just a way to cover all the grounding bases.

Thanks for the advice Steve.

Steve Holt likes this.
  13. ScottJPatrick

What is the braided wire connected to and where does it come from? Bridge pickup? Possibly just some electrical tape around the parts of it inside the cavity might shield it from everything else. If there is enough wire make sure you push it down into the bottom of the cavity before you close it.

Randypttt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.