Ike-o-caster finally done

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by XinTX, Feb 11, 2009.

1. XinTX

XinTX Tele-Meister

Last year I grabbed hold of a Mighty Mite body and neck. Started working on it in my 'man-cave' garage. I decided to try some black grain fill since I wanted a darker guitar. Seems most Teles I see are blonde, so I wanted to do something different. I started the grain fill, and it looked something like this as I was marching along:

[​IMG]

Then, Ike hit. We evacuated with what little we could stuff into our two small cars. And by small I mean I'm driving the 'hand me down' from the MUCH better half, a Honda Del Sol. The house and garage flooded (we're in process of selling the old place and buying another place to call home). Did save the body and neck. Even some of the hardware made it through (the bridge). But in the intervening months we were living in a small 1 BR apartment. So I didn't have my 30' x 30' garage any more, just a tiny apartment patio. So I finished the guitar in Tru Oil and just let the grain show. I have some cheap-o strap locks on it now. It has Tonerider pickups. Still need to work on the setup as I think the nut needs some work. But it intonates fine. Probably could have done better if I would have had a work bench instead of my lap or the floor. But it will do for a first shot. Looks like this now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't get a lot of 'in process' pix. We've been kind of busy getting life back together.

2. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Tele-Holic

Looks good, man. And it has a story behind it.

3. GhostRider

GhostRider Tele-Meister

I really like it! Well done!

Is that spot on the top of the Neck pup from wear, or is that just from the flash?

4. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Great story. Hope you get back into a nice sized house again soon.

5. HighTower

HighTower Tele-Lover

That is one Hellasious beautiful guitar!

I have to ask: is this in any way a tribute to Ike Turner?
    Easily the most over-looked and under-estimated guitarist of his time.

6. XinTX

XinTX Tele-Meister

Thanks.

Hopefully that's not wear. It's the flash. Just from my poor photog skills.

Not a 'tribute' to anyone. It's really just how it came out. I couldn't spray anything since I lost my compressor and all my painting equipment.

And we sign the papers to close on a house tomorrow afternoon. I already have a bottle of Robert Sinskey for afterward.

7. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

i like it. Do you plan on putting a pickguard on it? I think it would look so ridiculously awesome with a blackguard on it!!

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

That almost looks like zebrawood now. Cool looking body. I got my inspiration for guitarbuilding after the guys at Mid-County Music in Port Neches told me a Fender neck would run me 100 dollars. This was in 1979 dollars. Go PN-G.

9. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Thats a really great looking Tele. Nice job!!

10. XinTX

XinTX Tele-Meister

No plans for a pickguard. But my next one I think might be a Piney with a Bakelite PG. Either that, or maybe a Paige Dragon Tele, I'm undecided now.

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

looks righteous to me! awesome job under any circumstances... but amazing under your circumstances.... those del sols are great cars... a guy I know has a couple of them and he loves them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.