If you've got plenty of time, take the plane.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 12, 2021.

1. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Flying is the best way to ruin an otherwise perfectly good trip.

2. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

Worse than Greyhound bus travel in the 1960s .....

Toto'sDad and Fret Wilkes like this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hate flying more and more every time. Between the long lines, flight delays and cancellations, crowded seats, indignities of having to take your clothes off and be stripped-searched in public, it is overall a completely degrading experience. I'd say probably 1/3 of my flights the past 10 years has gone smoothly. The stories I could tell.... don't get me started.

Next week I am flying for the first time since this all started. Seeing my elderly parents in Florida - haven't seen them in a year and a half.

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  4. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

When I was a kid everyone dressed up to go on a flight, it was a big deal, and at the door they would give kids little metal wings to pin on our shirts, and even let you in the cockpit if the pilot was in a good mood.

Now a days it's more like riding an urban bus, tiresome, smelly, and depressing.
    I hope I never have to fly again.

5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to like flying. Now I view it as a necessary evil.

Last year we canceled our flight because of an unmentionable thing, and we drove back from S. Florida. We have never done that and I hated it. Twenty hours of driving in two days! It took me at least two days to recover! My wife didn’t feel comfortable driving on I-95, so I did all the driving.

Marc Morfei and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I love to travel and hate, Hate, HATE to fly. I sometimes have to fly to DC on business but that's not too bad since our little regional airport has a direct flight. We're flying to Phoenix later this year to see the Eagles in concert. I'm looking forward to everything about it except the air travel.

Toto'sDad and Fret Wilkes like this.
  8. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Flying sucks for a million reasons, most of them having to do with airlines constantly trying to increase the bottom line by making passengers slightly less comfortable.
    Still when you ahve family overseas, ya gotta go once in a while. So me, my wife and the kids are hopping an Air France to Boston this summer. (weeeeeee (not)) :)

Daniel

9. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

There was a time when flying was awesome. It was romantic in a way. They gave you a hot meal. People smoked cigars and drank brandy. Stewardesses were females that were easy on the eyes.

Since 9-11 it is a sh*t show. Since the CV hit, it is unbearable.

The airlines behave like they are doing you a favor by taking your money, loosing your stuff, and eventually getting you to your destination. Making your toddler wear a facemask under threat of being permabanned from flying at all.

I would rather donate a kidney.

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  10. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

I actually like driving, so I'll always choose it over flying if the time is within a couple of hours. It takes 12 hours to drive to Florida from here and a total of 7, including getting to and from the the airport and getting through security, to fly. For me it's still almost a tossup. If I leave really early, when I'd be sleeping anyway, I can get there by dinner time. Somehow, it seems like less of a wasted day than flying does, even though I'm more tired at the end.

11. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member

After close to 1M air miles due to business travel, I don't miss flying. I also enjoy driving, taking my time, and seeing the sights. My last flight was two years ago one way to Florida leaving California behind.

Fret Wilkes likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I burned out from flying on business during my career. The experience just kept getting worse, even flying first class. The seating became crazy small in the herd section, but I think the major issue is when airtravel became more affordable to the masses. And I truly believe the crap going on during flights these days are due to the masses getting too much ego from the fact that they can afford flying. Pets and babies?:eek: I have only made one round trip flight in the last decade and I can't imagine ever flying commercially again.

I love to fly in small private airplanes though, and go up at every opportunity.:)

Toto'sDad and Oxidao like this.
  13. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Air travel weather delays do suck, but...I will have to admit that I don't enjoy driving through severe weather either.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I’m Platinum for life on American, 2M + miles and Titanium for life at Bonvoy (Marriott), 750 nights. I could tell you travel tales but I won’t. I’ll make some suggestions though. Join a loyalty program and stick with it. In case of disruption, loyalty programs members are taken care of first. If you have an overnight delay, call the hotel program where you are a member and ask for a travel disruption rate. Those rates are not published and are not accessible in line. Be nice. :D I was given boarding passes for two flights out of Boston on one ticket and told to give the one I wouldn’t be using to the gate agent for the flight I’d be boarding. You think you’re stressed. The gate agents have to deal with hundreds of irate travelers when something goes awry. You’ll be far more likely to get what you need if you ask for something specifically and ask for it nicely.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Meister

A few years back we got a wild hair and decided to go to Vegas over Christmas break. The whole flight back there was this drunk white trash gal and her two free-range larvae behind us, and they kicked the backs of our seats pretty much nonstop. I think the airlines should have a "family" section (restaurants too - when's the last time you had your dining experienced ruined by someone's adorable shrieking child?). And the stewardess could ask you, "Screeching or non-screeching?"

We ponied up for the TSA "known traveler" passes and it saves us lots of hassle. No more doing a strip tease and taking off shoes just to ride on the plane. I remember once years back actually sprinting down the jetway in my stocking feet holding my shoes and belt - not an experience I ever want to repeat.

In June, we're flying out to see our oldest boy in Connecticut. Not looking forward to it, but at least we're flying Alaska, and they really take care of you swell. At 6'6" and 280 with sciatica in my right leg, there isn't a seat on the plane that's comfortable for me. I think this will be my last airplane ride for a while. Especially if he moves to Colorado, which is a day's enjoyable drive or a 2-hour flight from here in Idaho.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

especially if they are headed for the b seat next to me.

Toto'sDad and Oxidao like this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

TD one of my cousins designed the electronics for the A-380 and I taught ( and tutored for free ) a gifted electronics technician that goes over planes electronic and computer systems.
    Trust me, there is no safer way to travel. They are so well engineered and here in OZ are checked between every single flight. Also over 100 years of research and development.
    I feel so comfortable I fall asleep on take off. Anyone out there, trust me, there is no better engineered craft than a modern jet ( it was software problems in Indonesia and a suspected suicide pilot from Kuala Lumpur) .
    My best friend and guitar player used to service the electronics. I feel safer flying than even sitting in a car.
    P.S. Boeing have some work they need to look into but one of their female employees has raised this issue.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We need high speed rail REAL BAD here.
    You'll spend more time:
    driving,
    parking,
    walking,
    going through checkout
    and check in,
    waiting to board,
    boarding,
    sitting, waiting to take off on the tarmac
    .......... than you do actually flying for shorter trips.

I've been to countries with high speed rail. You walk on pretty fast.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I simply will not fly anymore period. Like a lot of my life and the period in which I lived it, I got to enjoy flying when I worked for a large corporation, someone else paid for it, and it was an enjoyable experience. As you say, good meals, plenty of room on the flights, and they didn't send you up in the tiny little planes that seem to be the fashion now. Every time I drop my son off at the airport, and he travels frequently, I worry until he's back on the ground. This is the first time in a while that my daughter has been on a plane trip. They finally landed safely, got to their rooms, and got a good night's sleep. I hope the rest of their trip goes as planned.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.