If you've got plenty of time, take the plane.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, May 12, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My daughter and her husband had planned a nice trip to Florida. Things are going better out here in Looney Toonville and she was looking forward to a nice relaxing trip. She's got things lined up to do every day on her vacation, and her cousin and her husband are taking them on a river cruise one day while she's there. They got to Dallas this morning, and they had about a three hour layover, then they had an hour weather delay, then they had a three hour weather delay, then after just a few more delays, they boarded the plane at 10:30pm, and should arrive at Dustin/Walton AP about 12:30am. They've now been up since 2:00 am our time. My daughter is a grown woman, and is very capable, but still I worry about her or my son every time they climb in one of those big birds that drag that big long trail through the sky.

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Mother Nature delaying plane travel is the worst. Airlines usually won't help you out and you end up slumped against a wall in the terminal. It also burns your vacation time and upsets your plans. It has happened to me a couple of times. You can always ask politely at the counter for a supervisor and see if they can help you out at all. The last time it happened to me was flying to Florida through Houston 2 years ago. o_O Hope they can salvage some of the special moments.

SRHmusic and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks Dented, I'm hoping things will smooth out once they get there, and get some rest. My daughter's husband just lost his dad a little over a month ago, so he's not in the best of humor right now anyway. The trip was partially engineered to cheer HIM up. So far...

4. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

If even just one of you guys were to say to me: "Shaun, you never have to fly again!", I would immediately show my wife and tell her "That's it! I am never getting on a plane again! This (perfect stranger) guy says I don't have to- so, I am taking his word for it."

I have flown a lot in my life and were it not for family obligations, I could easily see myself only going where my car or my legs can take me for whatever time I have left on God's Green.

Thanks in advance.

P.S In all seriousness: I am one more lousy flying experience away from being done with or without y'alls permission.

5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Flying is for the weak in spirit.

(Disclaimer: at 6’5” tall, I will do anything to avoid spending time in a commercial airliner.)

Toto'sDad, stepvan, getbent and 6 others like this.
  6. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I hear horror stories all the time about airports, delays, and airlines. I never fly anywhere so to me it's just this thing I hear about. But if it's anything like the DMV, then I feel for anybody who flies.

Certainly hope they end up with a great trip.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

I'm only 6' and uncomfortable enough. Gosh I feel bad when I see someone your size walking down the plane aisle.....

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Ha! You guys got me thinking about these guys, (yes I’m a bodybuilding nut)
    First ones strong man Brian Shaw, second one is Bodybuilder Nasser el sonbaty

2FE6F4AB-7B0E-4CFF-8D19-FB95A0B9E432.jpeg 4A63ACFA-4B2E-41C0-83FD-1E531BAA9D6D.jpeg

9. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Air traffic has been picking up a bit here, too. I sure missed those non-dissipating contrails that turn the million mile deep Saphire Blue sky into that hazy grayish white backdrop that reflects our miserable lives so much more accurately.

Not.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife loves flying, loves airports, etc. This last year has been really frustrating for her.

I pretty much hate it. Nowadays it's like taking the bus but there's more waiting involved.

Stubee and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Statistically speaking, flying is far safer than driving a car. Driving affords more personal control, making it feel safer. In addition, plane crashes are catastrophic, killing more people at once, which grabs more attention and makes people more sensitive to them. Car crashes happen every day and spread the loss over time, making their combined effects less noticeable.

I agree though that waiting on airports is a pain in the ...

I hope your daughter reaches her destination as soon as possible safely.

Toto'sDad and Fretting out like this.
  12. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

I would be more worried if they had to drive all the way from Dallas to Florida.

Said this... yeah,
    you pay for every extra pound weight.
    As human race gets bigger, Pitch on airplanes shortens.
    You won't get a coke for free anymore,
    you're not treated like a gentleman anymore,
    etc, etc.

On another thread we could talk of the advantages.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Shaun, you don’t have to fly anymore.

(I hope that helps)

14. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Flying is such a double edged sword for me. On the one hand it’s so fast. You get to spend more time at your destination, if your time is limited to begin with. Which it mostly is for normal people.

On the other hand you miss the whole trip. I’ve seen so many amazing and ridiculous things while road tripping. I’ve met really interesting people, and taken some really cool side trips to things and events I didn’t know existed. Just cause they were there and I figured “why not?”.

To be fair I’ve also seen some ghastly and horrible things that I’ll never be able to scrape out of my brain. But overwhelmingly the experience has been good.

I love the speed and convenience of being stuffed in the sardine can. I hate the stuffed aspect of it, other people’s selfish and inconsiderate behavior, and the fact that no matter where I’m going or how far in advance I buy my ticket, I always seem to have to get up at four or five AM to make my flight. I also dislike missing the trip.

I only have two legitimate complaints about delays. One is that they always seem to happen to me on the return path. When I’m tired of being someplace else and just want to go home and rest. The other is that I hate being held prisoner in the terminal where a plain old domestic light beer costs $77.83.

dented, nojazzhere, unixfish and 4 others like this.
  15. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I've done way too much flying. I no longer enjoy the experience at all. It feels like nowadays all you actually buy a chance to arrive at your destination. I have some observations:

1. Always pay for the direct flight. I never want to be stuck in Charlotte or Atlanta or any NYC airport again.
    2. Sometimes you can rent a car and drive in the same amount of time and money. Modern airport protocols mean it can take 5 hours to travel the distance you can drive in 6, and at least on the road you have autonomy and won't be sitting next to a screaming child for hours.
    3. Arrive at the gate on time but wait get on the plane at the last minute. Why people anxiously line up and compete to board and then sit there for an extra 30 mins getting bonked in the head by backpacks puzzles me. It is worth it to pay to check a bag. If you are competing to board early to shove something into the overhead compartment to save some money your trip will be stressful from the start.
    4. If you try to board the plane at the last minute with bag that you know won't fit in an overhead make it obvious - they often check it for free at the gate and then it comes off the plane and onto the baggage carousel first.
    5. If things do go wrong (like with the bag at the gate) act stupid and be polite. Act stupid and you will be treated as a peer, not a problem.

Happy Enchilada and Jakedog like this.
  16. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

I avoid flying unless there's no other option. Can't stand the whole ordeal.

Worse trip ever: A Christmas Day stopover in Detroit when flying from CA to MD. Flight was delayed for 10 freakin' hours. They gave us a $6 food voucher to go wild with.

stepvan and Jakedog like this.
  17. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

6 or so years ago, I flew to New York for a final job interview. I should have arrived in plenty of time to check into the hotel and get a good night's sleep. Instead, I had to spend a sleepless night in the airport in Detroit. Weather.

Changed into the monkey suit at 5 am in the airport bathroom. Got to the interview an hour late having missed 2 meals and a night's sleep. I don't remember large portions of it.

Got the job and worked there until the place got sold.

No voucher for me. All the food places were closed anyway.

18. dustoff pilot

dustoff pilot TDPRI Member

Retired Army Aviator here, we used to say "If you've got time to spare, go Army Air"

19. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Since 9/11 I’ve hated airports more and more. I actually like flying, but can’t stand an airport. It’s gotten to where I’d rather do a marathon drive than fly. The company I work for asked for a few guys to go to Denver next week. I’m going. Luckily they want us to drive our service trucks. If they’d have said fly up there, I probably would have just drove my personal truck.

20. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

If I never get on another airline it'll be too soon. HATE the experience, and had to do it all too much for a number of years for business. Rhode Island to Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Portland (west), San Fran, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Baton Rouge, and on, and on, many, many times. HORRID. They tried to get me to San Diego last year when "the event" stepped in. Whew! I'd isolate for another 14 months if it meant I didn't have to fly anywhere! lol

GuitarGeorge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.