1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you're in the market for an Epiphone Dot, check this out

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by theprofessor, Apr 5, 2017.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Where did the dots go? :confused:

3. theprofessor

Since it's an Epiphone Dot (in the singular), I guess they're counting the single dot over the "i" in "Epiphone." That's the dot.

Matthias likes this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I used to own a Dot. Those are heavy guitars, but sounds and plays really well.

We've got a Martin X-series acoustic now that also has no dots on the fret board. I get lost on it all the time as a result. It does have side dots but for some reason I can't seem to use those to track. Never really thought those inlays were that important until I don't have them. Hmm, guess you could use decals instead.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks nice. I'm sure it has the side mini dots.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I really like these Dot Studios. I have tried quite a few and just waiting for the right used one to come along at a good price. They seem a bit warmer than my Sheraton II, so I think it would be a good companion.

7. Bakeacake08

Bakeacake08 Tele-Meister

I have tried a lot of Dots and never really found one I liked. They've just never felt right to me. Until a couple days ago when I found one at the local used guitar shop. Nice sunburst finish, fit my hands great, $300. Now I wish I had some spare cash.

8. Sandhill69

Sandhill69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Locally you'd pay $400 - $425 for a pristine Sheraton 2 with Epi hardcase...would that not be a better way to go? A "friend" has loaned me a Riviera, knowing full well that he'd lead me astray...now I need one of those Gibson/Epi semi hollows, but the Dot just seems like it needs so much upgrading...

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I got mine for 180.00 can love it it is the bluesiest sounding guitar I own
    P1011375.JPG

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Huey666

Huey666 Tele-Meister

Cool guitar, but why does this merit a new post exactly?

"Hey, you can buy guitars online now!!"

11. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

For that price, I'd buy a used Dot or Sheraton II. Its easy to find a nice cherry or sunburst Dot for 300 USD, and the extra volume and tone knobs are worth it imo.

12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Even a brand new Dot doesn't cost that much more; around $400. I only paid $329 for my ES-335 Pro at Thanksgiving time in '15. Watch the sales prices at the different dealers. I got mine off the wall at GC.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  13. cboutilier

I got my VSB Dot for 400 CAD with a HSC. It was basically a NOS closet queen. Original owner never learned to play it. Still had the original strings.

14. ComingApart

ComingApart Tele-Meister

everybody's different i guess, i've had a martin DX for years and only realized it had no fret markers when a buddy pointed it out... i wish my ebony boarded lp had no inlays on it at all...

JuneauMike likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The Dot Studios are a phenomena that I can't really explain. It is true that you get more for about $100 more and if I didn't already have a Sheraton II, I can understand why the regular Dot or a Used Sheraton would be the way to go, but there is a warmth to the studio that my Sherry nor the regular Dots have. I don't know if is different wood, or just less pots blocking the "f" holes, it is just there. They are lighter, but as 24 Track mentions, there is some bluesy mojo in these guitars. I really can't warrant one, yet they keep drawing me in. FWIW.

16. cboutilier

It took my a while to get used to my Les Paul BFG, but now it doesn't bother me. I don't mind when I don't have markers, but I hate when other guitarists don't. My eyes aren't real good at distances, so I can't figure out what their playing as easily

17. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple of Dots. One is a late 90s Korean made, the other is a new VS model. The older one is better player for me. The neck is a little fatter and the tone is better. The newer one has a nice vintage sunburst finish but doesn't sound quite as good to me. I agree with JuneauMike too, they are both pretty heavy for semi-hollows.

18. theprofessor

Posting to draw people's attention to what I thought was a pretty good deal, that's all.

arielyitus likes this.
  19. theprofessor

Yes, that's true. And I just saw an Epiphone Dot on my local CL, asking $375, which includes an Epiphone case. I already have one, so I don't need it. https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/msg/6077459839.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.