If you were one of the best amp repair people in the nation,

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Pretty much agreed with what was said before. The last thing a good amp repair guy is advertisement, considering they have work over their heads.

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
I found an old gent in a nearby small backwater Alabama town who does great work, has customers in a 50 mi radius or so. I found him by word of mouth. I don’t think he could take on any more work without hiring somebody. Seems like if you are good the work finds you.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Well, you got that completely wrong. But the word of mouth? That is why I brought up the thread and figured some might be nice/ cool and give some helpful feedback.
I'm not sure what you're criticizing as "completely wrong" but OK, perhaps I didn't understand the intent of your thread. The title of your thread clearly states the premise based upon "the best amp repair people in the nation". If the question was intended to be "how would a good amp repair person start or grow a business" my, and others responses, would have been different.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
The other thing worth mentioning is that it doesn’t take a genius or “guru” to repair a guitar amp. Any technician who’s worked on stuff in the field and has a cursory familiarity with tube audio equipment or using musical equipment can do it. Especially when the majority of repairs are trivial failures.

A dude I trust very much with my stuff is an EE, has worked for big tech companies, is not a guitar player, and primarily does SMT rework on laptops (but does audio equipment on the side). I would give him my stuff and my needs in the event I was not able to work on something in a heartbeat over some exalted wizard where I have no means of judging his work.

There is a lot of mojo lore in guitar land, and of course there are specific things that become second nature with hands-on experience, but “expertise” here often has a very superstitious quality to it. There are a lot of techs who deserve the respect and have the background and knowledge to prove it. But a lot of audio “repairs” I see when I crack open the guts are more about being clever enough to make the client feel good. The great levelers are both science and workmanship, not mojo or clout, and I’m not sure a lot of laypeople can really discern that.

Last edited:

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
^Basic stuff most of the time yes...but sometimes it takes a different kind of mind when something is really hairy and such.
Then making it sound good also takes lots of experience, it does help to have a certain knack for it on top of it!

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
confused gif.gif