If you were one of the best amp repair people in the nation,

Alex W

Friend of Leo's
If I were that good, I'd live in L.A., Nashville, or London or some such place ripe with discerning professional musician customers, and I'd stay busy based on word of mouth alone. But, if relocating wasn't an option, a good way to get yourself noticed is to do YouTube videos of amp repairs such as the guy who posts as "Uncle Doug". His videos are interesting in their own right, but they also showcase his knowledge and the quality of his work. Other than the time invested in making the videos, they are free advertisements for him, and if the YouTube channel earns a little money so much the better.

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
If I were that good, I'd live in L.A., Nashville, or London or some such place ripe with discerning professional musician customers, and I'd stay busy based on word of mouth alone. But, if relocating wasn't an option, a good way to get yourself noticed is to do YouTube videos of amp repairs such as the guy who posts as "Uncle Doug". His videos are interesting in their own right, but they also showcase his knowledge and the quality of his work. Other than the time invested in making the videos, they are free advertisements for him, and if the YouTube channel earns a little money so much the better.

^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
How would you promote yourself here & at the Gear page?
Are you talking about a tech just starting out? If you're THAT good, and have been working for a few years, word of mouth will bring you more business than you can handle. I don't view the guys I've seen on Youtube as "promoting themselves".....they're sharing their knowledge.
If just starting out.....get a job with an established repair shop, EARN a reputation, and the world will be your oyster. Besides.....who says "you" are one of the best in the nation? Confidence is good.....arrogance is bad. ;););)

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
If you were one of the best of the best you’d likely have already cut your teeth at a reputable shop, worked at an equipment manufacturer, or as a tech to studios or musicians. A little word of mouth, an ig/Facebook, and google listings would go a long way, and are all free.

Quickest way to get started is finding an entry point to one of those. A lot of people will take you under their wing if you have the aptitude.

Even in big cities like New York, there aren’t a ton of repair places compared to like, guitar techs. A lot of guitar shops outsource the electronics repair, a lot of electronics repair shops outsource audio stuff. Some of the business will just end up being dependent on proximity and turnaround. And in the synth or studio land, lack of competition is even better (and tbh, often much quicker/easier work than hunting gremlins down in amps).

Last edited:

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Usually, the best have to turn away work.

I was fortunate to be a client of the best mechanic in Chicago (since retired) who would only take referrals from existing customers. Even then, he would turn down business. He worked in a large, unmarked warehouse on the north side of Chicago. Never advertised.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I would collect testimonial statements from satisfied customers. I'd let them say I was the best in the nation if they felt that way, but I'd never say it myself; even if it's true it comes off as arrogance, and that turns people off. I'd sign up as a vendor on likely-looking forums, focus my advertising on my services, and offer to provide testimonial statements from my satisfied customers to my prospective ones.

These things build slowly.

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
I'd post photos of a monkey wearing a cowboy hat playing guitar through one of the amps I have repaired.
2021-11-08 10_39_38-Window.png

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
this guy isn't named Dan Torres is he?
No.
But he designed all the EVH amps working with EVH for Fender. And a few other major works for Fender. Howard Kaplan, he was one of Fenders lead engineers if I have it right.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member

While I'm not one of the "best in the world", I have become a pretty damn good guitar tech in my spare time and after taking on one job from a pro musician, I have more requests to fix guitars than I know what to do with. No need to advertise, word of mouth does the job. One guy who brings me a couple guitars every other month told me that if I wanted, I could easily have 75- 100 guitars a month coming to my house if I wanted to do it full time. NO THANKS! One dude offered me a job on their summer tour last year being his tech and doing general roadie stuff. If I was 24 years old, I would have jumped at it, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
If truly..."One of the best..." they would have no need of promoting themselves or their skills on this or any other website. The good ones have waiting lists a mile long, particularly right now. Their business' are driven by word of mouth.
Well, you got that completely wrong. But the word of mouth? That is why I brought up the thread and figured some might be nice/ cool and give some helpful feedback.