If You Were Me: DDRI or Delta Blues?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WrayGun, Oct 26, 2015.

1. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Three things:
    1. If you lean towards the DRRI, I would recommend the '68 Custom DRRI.

and

3. If you like Darrell Higham's sound so much, and he plays a Peavey, why don't you just get the Peavey? Of course, if you're plugging in a solidbody guitar with s'coils or 'buckers, it's not going to sound like a Gretsch with P90s plugged into the DB. Frankly, I hated his tone, but obviously each to own, ymmv, kind of thang. Based on this clip alone, I would not buy the Peavey.

If it were me, I'd get the '68 Custom DRRI. Or both.

2. Derwood

Derwood TDPRI Member

I used to have a DB. Nice amp, but I don't think the 15 put out any more bass than a DR.

3. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Deluxe Reverb. Perfect grab and go amp for just about anything.

4. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

I like the Delta, it's one of my favorite Peavey amps. However, I like the '65 DRRI better, I own one as well as a nice '66 DR, the DRRI is now my main gig amp. Part of the reason is because of the 6V6's vs EL84's, the other reason is how easy Fenders are to repair and mod if that's you're thing. Although I haven't had much problem with Fender amps other than tubes and I seldom mod an amp, I don't have the same experience with Peavey amps. Both are good amps and you could do much worse.

5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I owned a Peavey Delta Blues 1-15 and a Rivera Era point to point Deluxe. If offered either back, I'd actually have to play both again... that's what I suggest. Play both and really listen close to the tone variations, the tremolo's (vibrato), and reverb. Then you can decide.
    I could give a pro's and cons, but, why? Try the two in front of you...

6. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I've owned the Delta Blues. Awesome amp, but it's a beast to move around. I now have a PRRI, and would likely move up to the DRRI if I was playing out more often.

7. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

IMO, just about any amp with 6V6 or 6L6 tubes is going to beat out any amp that uses EL84 tubes.

Get the DRRI.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The circuit has more to do with the sonics the does the choice of tube. If not, all EL-84 amps would sound like a Vox AC-30Top Boost, which is an amp that has a frequency response curve that is more like a BF AB763 circuit with either 6L6's or 6V6's. This Peavey, which is also one of the modern amps of its type that I do like....I would take it over any of the Fender Blues/Hot Rod amps...except maybe the Pro Jr. All of these amps have some sonics in common due to their circuits....there are some basics that are similar.
    And...... All 6V6 amps would sound like a 5E3...but they don't.
    Ime and imho, the circuit is the main 'decider'. Yes, the components have a say....but those components can't change the basic nature of a circuit.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

This guitarist, Barry Richmond has been getting
    great tones, IMHO, for years with his Peavey
    Delta Blues. Check out his other vids on YouTube
    too, most of them with his DB.

I used an EQ pedal through the FX loop on mine
    and got some nice BF type Fender tones
    through the clean channel, that I didn't know
    this amp could do. I also like the crunch
    channel, again sounding really nice with
    the addition of the EQ pedal to get the
    most quality and tone varieties from this
    EL-84 combo.

The Delta Blues cab is slightly
    larger than the Classic 30, which I think
    gave the overall tone a richer sound.

10. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

I've got a DB115 in my collection and really enjoy playing through it. Best $335 I ever spent. If you buy used the Peavey will cost you half of the Fender's price tag so it's true about the resale thing so buy used and let the original owner take the depreciation hit. The Peavey classic series amps are known for being very dependable amps so there really aren't any build quality concerns. There's no question the Fender will have much nicer reverb. It is also a much cleaner amp so you will need pedals to get your drive tones. The Peavey's reverb is not horrible, it's usable but I use a TCE Hall of Fame in the loop of mine for nicer sounding reverb options. I could get by just fine with amp guitar & cable with the Peavey. I put a nice set of ANOS RCA 12AX7's in mine that really made the clean channel shine. For overdriven tones I like to run mine on the edge of break up and push it with some of my favorite OD's for heavier tone. That gives me a really wide rang of tone from it. This is where the Peavey really shines. It have A LOT of range from country clean to hard rock. It's equally good at home or in a band setting.

[​IMG]

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have never even seen a a Delta Blues in the flesh , but I understand they are very much like a Classic 30. I have owned at least one Classic 30 since the early nineties , so I'm obviously a fan.

They are extremely useful little amps , and just loud enough for band use for me. Nothing boutique about it , but sounds decent and easy to dial in at any volume because of the master volume.

I have been inside 2 of these amps , one I bought really cheap because of crackling issues ( tube socket ) , and one that belongs to my friend , had a transformer problem. These amps are NOT easy to repair , couldn't be much worse , really bad design.

BUT , many , many people will have the same experience as me , they usually just work ok for many years with no problems at all.
    The Fender will be much easier to repair , should it be needed. It will also be harder to use at different volumes without pedals. As an example , I can use a humbucker guitar with a Classic 30 , and not need dirt pedals. That isn't always the case with my vintage style Fender amps.

In the end you should go with what you think sounds best. I'm sure I could live with both amps just fine.

12. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I've owned both and gigged and recorded with both, and now I just use the DRRI. Both are great amps, but have a different vibe. I eventually found the DB was a bit mushy up louder at gigs when I really wanted a little more definition of notes, where the DRRI also breaks up when up louder, but I still hear the notes better. I should add that I modded the DRRI so both channels share reverb/ vibrato and are in phase, and I also put a lower gain 5751 tube in the normal channel, and left the 12AX7 in the Vib channel. I can jumper the two channels and get some very nice tones when mixing them together. The Peavey has a rounder, full tone at lower volumes.

13. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

They are actually the same amp as the Classic 30 with the addition of Tremolo in a bigger cab with either 1 x 15" or 2 x 10" speaker configuration. Those are the only changes Peavey made to the Delta Blues model.

14. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

You make a good point, it's the circuit more than the tube that makes the amp sound as it does. People get hooked on different things such as tubes and speakers, which may or may not be the biggest influence on the sound.

15. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

I think my decision is the right one, and that is to go with the DRRI.

Reasons: I have actually played one in person and I like the sound all the way from quiet to loud, and I get the impression that the DB won't sound as nice at low volume in the midnight hour, which is how a lot of my playing occurs.

The DRRI just seems to be a bit more versatile, a bit better built, easier to repair if necessary.

The main things I liked about the Peavey are the 15" speaker, which I have used and loved before, but is it worth the extra weight? I'm not getting any younger or stronger. I also like the fact that it's built in the good old USA, although I think it's pretty much Chinese parts assembled here. So I guess that's kind of meaningless.

Someday I would like to have both. Actually, I would be happy with the DRRI along with some kind of raunchy 15" speaker amplifier; doesn't have to the the Peavey.

Thanks for all the input, my friends.

16. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Couldn't go wrong either way.

I just sold my DB a few weeks back. Really nice amp but I think you're making the right choice.

17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I think you have it reversed - IMO the Delta Blues will be more versatile than the DRRI but they do have different feature sets.

Build quality is equal (IMO)... both well made amps for mass production. Resale value goes to the DRRI... but since you are buying used you should see that already applied. Markets vary, but in my area a DRRI is $700 - $900 used while a Delta Blues is about $400 used - roughly half the price of the DRRI.

Which one you like more is strictly up to you... they are both very good sounding amps but also very different from each other.

EDIT TO ADD

Sorry... I'm not sure why I didn't see this before I posted.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  18. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

I run a 25K EB Jr volume pedal in the efx loop of my DB115 which smoothly takes it from whisper quiet to window rattling RAWK. :cool: It's actually my bedroom amp.

19. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

For anyone considering a DB and worried about volume and / or
    bass tones carrying at home during the Midnight hour, consider
    getting the 2 x 10 version. I was happily surprised with how
    much bass this amp does carry, but IMHO, it is more controllable
    than the 1x15 cab.

20. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I think you're doing the right thing.. No way to use the DB 115 at midnight without pissing people off.. Take a look at the 68 CDR before you pull the trigger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.