1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you were going to buy a Custom Made Tele.......

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rodtod423, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

A Custom Shop ‘62 Fender Custom Telecaster in sunburst and the binding.

I would want it to be authentic down to the neck profile and the 7.25 radius. Clear nitro and zero aging or relic. I’d want it to look like a brand new guitar with impeccable craftsmanship, fit and finish. Not sure whether I would go with swamp ash or alder. I think most if not all originals were alder.

That would be so cool.

2. Telebra

Telebra TDPRI Member

'68' Sea Foam Green, Custom Double Binding, Maple Cap neck. White pickguard, PU's leftover pre-CBS 65's. Brass saddles
    I don't want to be too greedy or stray too far from a real TELE.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Gary135r likes this.
  3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

Off the rack, I suppose, because I get to play it before I buy it.
    I do, truly, hate shopping. I have tried to go guitar hunting, hoping for a good used instrument, but about two hours into the matter I am ready to go home. The few used guitars that I have purchased were discovered by accident: in a store to buy something else and there it was.
    If you can, in fact, get exactly what you want from the custom shop, and no other way, then go for it. Kinda glad that I'm easy to please.

4. rotsap

rotsap TDPRI Member

I have been through this. I used to be an all-in Godin guy. Back then the Solidac was my weapon of choice. Canadian made, incredible craftmanship expert luthiers.

I played many guitars for many years, not really paying much attention to the brand or model. I liked all guitars. I know, my lack of attention to that seems weird. I cut my teeth on playing rhythm as a song-leader in the Pentecostal church for decades. I noodled, but nothing serious. always liked the Strat, had one. An American Standard, that I rented for 2-3 years back in the '80's. Man, I wish I still had that one. Simple black, beautiful. Had no idea what was in my hands back then.

It was around 2009-2010 that I started focusing on becoming a better lead player. I soon noticed that in all the lesson videos I was amassing into my youtube collection, subconsciously and without realizing it, I was gravitating towards Tele stuff. As I zeroed in on developing my own sound, I began to wake up to that, and I was hit with an epiphany! It suddenly materialized right out of the thin blue sky, HEY! I'M A TELE-GUY!!

After learning I was a "Tele" guy, I started my search and picked up a Squier CV just to dip my toes in. Haven't looked back since. Next on my dream list was to select me a "real" custom Tele. I was looking at different ones like the Suhrs and others, but I soon discovered Godin also offered a custom made boutique T-style. And for a great price too. I doled out the $2K and got my Godin, Custom Passion, Period correct, Swamp Ash with a beautiful Pearloid Pickguard. It was made just for me. I loved-loved it so much. Still got it.

Next, it was an American Elite Tele. I love that guitar. Still got it. Aged Cherry-burst. Matches my Deluxe Strat in aged Cherry-burst. But I was still not entirely convinced I had the perfect guitar I was meant to have. I think it was the barrel saddles. The Elite has the six-chromed brass saddles. It has the push-push s-3 switching and gen 4 silent pickups, but I don't know, maybe something in the idea of vintage appealed to me and I started looking again. I located a 2003 Highway One - Texas Tele. It seemed this was the real one for me. Until...

It felt so good to have learned that I was a dedicated Tele player, and that knowledge turned into such a passion for me. But I still wanted to acquire a "genuine" All-American, Tele. A gem. I started to look at vintage offerings online. I was so close, so many times to pulling the trigger on a $4K-$5K genuine vintage, but didn't.

Then last year, I finally got around to thinking that I wanted a simple, original, every man's working Blackguard Tele. US-made of course. I'd been considering locating an older one. The older the better, since I'd been on the hunt for a "truly" vintage Tele, when it really occurred to me, "hey-wait", Fender USA made them then, and they make them now. Why don't I just go out and pick up a genuine, Fender, American-Made, Telecaster? Right off the rack?

Of course today there are new perks like "compensated" brass saddles, compound radius necks, and oodles of slight, but needed modernized offerings as technology has advanced. So yes, finally, I picked up my very own American Pro Tele. It is true in every way to the originals that made this guitar, arguably the best instrument in the whole world. And to my pleasant surprise, they'd issued it in the old butterscotch blonde that marks the classic blackguard as the quintessential Telecaster of all.

No denying this is as serious a player guitar as there is in the whole history of the Telecaster line. And my 2017 Am Pro, in Butterscotch Blonde, has delivered everything I ever wanted from a guitar. I'll never be without one again.

I still have all the guitars I've mentioned above, fortunately choosing to start keeping my guitars since my early evolution into a serious "Tele-guy" and becoming a legit accomplished player. Pity I didn't start hanging onto them all from my beginnings. I've had some exquisite instruments in my hands. Makes me shake my head to now realize that I had zero ideas about what I really had back then. But at least I can enjoy the pictures of them. Whenever I recall a guitar I owned in the dateless past, I always look around on google and search it out. I download the pics and it's a little like I can get back to enjoying them again.

I love them all. But there is just something by and large that, right off the rack only Fender can deliver, and it "lives" in the original instrument that Mr. Leo Fender gave us back in the '50s. It has come a long way since then, but of all my Teles, and a good sampling I think I've collected, I prefer my AmPro.

So, to end my large novel on this, (sorry for such a big comment folks) I guess I'll have to conclude that I'm off the rack. But having stated that to answer your original question, would you permit me only two caveats?

1. I would like one of those pre-'60's genuine vintage Teles. If I ever run into a deal I can't resist, I'll pick one up. A genuine '52, '57, or actually even into the '60s, I'm thinking a '68. I'd add any of those to my collection if I could swing the deal without having to sell my truck or mortgage my home. lol. But yeah, One that's in good shape of course, I'll bite. I'd love to play and own an old original true vintage. I want to see if there really are tones I could learn to tell that only them old treasures possess. To explore all the subtle nuanced graces it might have to offer above its modern counterparts.

And 2. At the risk of sounding like I'll be changing my answer to choosing a custom instead of off the rack, I'd like to order a Master-built custom Tele someday, but one that is exactly period correct for an original '52 blackguard. But it would have to be a tribute to the original, and be a thing of incredible beauty, more than just road-worn, or distressed. To payout that kind of money, it'd have to be pretty special.

But can't say that if money were no issue I wouldn't go down that road.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  5. bigbreak

bigbreak Tele-Meister

I would buy the body and neck separately like I did this one.
    Telecaster.JPG

baiff and Jake909 like this.
  6. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

No such luck for a lefty.

Lefty Addams and boris bubbanov like this.
  7. duke54na

duke54na TDPRI Member

My custom shop tele is a high end copy of my 1997 California Telecaster.Expensive but the quality is totally amazing. Am i satisfied yes very much so. Just that i purcgased a HH Telecaster and made many upgrades and love that candy apple red headstock.Wish the custom shop tele was the same.Maybe i will return it for the upgrade,dont know if they would do it though.Shall see.

Gary135r likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you find yourself in South Florida, with access to a car, go to Wolfe's Guitars in Jupiter - just off I-95 on the east side of the road.

Lots of lefty G + Ls, lefty Heritage guitars. Or they did have them, before this thing happened.

Gary135r likes this.
  9. tropicaldave

tropicaldave TDPRI Member

I built my favorite Tele myself and I like it more than any of the other guitars I own including my Les Paul '52 reissue with the p-90's made in 2013 of which there were 400 made. I used stainless frets with a torrified maple neck. Swamp ash body. Virgil Arlo pickups. Such a great tone I can't believe I built it myself. My avatar is a picture of it.

Gary135r and Jake909 like this.
  10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have five teles, all made by Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars. No two are alike. Each one is different in terms of body wood or bridge plate or tuners or pickups or switching. So I won't answer the "options" question unless you want me to. Two are pictured in my avatar...

[​IMG]

Here are all five, hanging in the living room...

[​IMG]

Here is a closer look at the five teles on the couch. The two hanging are also Logan Customs. One is an acoustic/electric tele style, the other is a Challenger, Bob's design.

10-20-2019 - Logan Custom family couch pic.jpg

Gary135r likes this.
  11. wpod

wpod TDPRI Member

It would be either a Glendale or have my luthier assemble parts per my spec.

12. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tip. Before this thing happened we were in Florida a lot visiting family. I'll take note.

13. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

If I got a custom tele, I'd want a B bender, ash body, maple fb, white pg, 4 way switch. That should do it.

14. Michael Rock

Michael Rock NEW MEMBER!

I’ve played lots of high quality custom build Teles. Tele maker’s seems to be like Elvis impersonators, some good, some so bad they are hilarious, and there is one in every zip code. Do yourself a favor, if you ever have the chance to play a Glendale Tele, take it. If I could build a Tele any way I wanted, it would be a Glendale. High quality from headstock to barrels

Attached Files:

15. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I like off the rack guitars mostly. There is a local guy who builds teles and I'm curious about his stuff. If I were in the market for a custom I'd go ask him some questions and play his builds. My favorite neck ever was on a MIM 50's strat - soft 'V', 7.25", all maple. Something like that, with the truss adustment on the headstock side though, on a lightweight and good looking tele/esquire body would pique my interest.

16. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister

FB_IMG_1599167569599.jpg I like my Lucky Dog.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Lefty Addams likes this.
  17. duke54na

duke54na TDPRI Member

Well the red headstock is a negative dealer said i would devalue guitar n i would be covering a highly figured birds eye maple neck maybe next time

18. tabeck5

tabeck5 TDPRI Member

U.S. Telecaster Body, USACG Telecaster Neck, Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday Neck Pickup, Bare Knuckle Brown Sugar Bridge, custom 5 way switching, Armadillo Guitars Micawber style brass bridge plate.
    DSC_0007 (1).JPG

baiff likes this.
  19. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

The guitar I have in my head, I'm convinced, doesn't exist, so it would have to be a custom build. Something like this, only a Closet Classic, not relic'ed, nitro finished, Aged White Blonde, dark tinted maple neck, thick "U" shaped, with medium jumbo frets. Everything based on a 50's Tele is saddled with those damn thin frets that I can't stand.

csqmcgstbqqxw7pcrtre.jpg

Attached Files:

Jake909 and baiff like this.
  20. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Holic

The american special tele had everything I would have had put on a custom shop. I couldnt believe it when it came out and I read the specs.

bby85 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.