1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you were going to buy a Custom Made Tele.......

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rodtod423, Aug 30, 2020.

1. UlricvonCatalyst

UlricvonCatalyst TDPRI Member

Mine would be a '68 Custom Tele in back with white binding, a maple board neck, and brass saddles, (like the one pictured below). Very rare configuration, apparently, though you'd think it'd be fairly common. If I could've bought one off the shelf at a reasonable price I would have, but as I can't I've been acquiring parts and will hopefully get it together soon.

[​IMG]

2. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

If I could I'd order a broadcaster spec'd one. The 3 must have things would be a really nice fat neck, this wiring:

And since the best feeling guitar I own is a satin finished, maple neck 2013 Les Paul, I'd like to have that same style of nitro finish on it but in Butterscotch or Cream white.
    The LP I'm talkin about is already "road worn", absolutely beautiful.
    This is it but some years ago:
    https://i.imgur.com/PDTdqyl.jpg
    Now it shows much more wood, especially where my arm rest's and on the back of the neck.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  3. orpheo

orpheo TDPRI Member

I made what I wanted...
    Carved top Tele, rosewood neck+fretboard, black korina body in shell pink finish, 2x p90's

[​IMG]

Thinline T: Walnut top on chambered flamed ash body, sycamore pickguard, ebony fretboard, 5pcs neck of ziricote, maple and purpleheart, Wide Range pickups.
    [​IMG]

Thinline T: cocobolo top on chambered rosewood body, 5 pcs neck, Psyclone pickups from Seymour Duncan

[​IMG]

A hybrid of Brad Paisley and Jeff Beck: ash body, maple top. figured maple neck, olivewood fretboard with walnut markers, Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set, Hipshot hardtail bridge and tuners
    [​IMG]

A classic. Roasted ash body, roasted maple neck, olivewood fretboard with walnut markers, easy access heel (no plate; ferrules), Seymour Duncan pickups, bakelite pickguard.

[​IMG]

It's fun, making your own guitars.

bby85, carpenter, Jake909 and 4 others like this.
  4. Blackshadowrider

Blackshadowrider TDPRI Member

I have had a desire for quite a while to build a Tele Fat-Boy. This is a design taking a 1.75 inch Tele body hollowed out or chambered then adding a 1/4 inch top and back slab. Result is 2.25 inch thick hollowbody Tele. I recently seen Tim Lerch show one of his off on YouTube. I want to check with Warmoth and see if they can do this. I thick they can do a 2.0 inch slab over.
    Since I have so many Factory Fender's, I have leaned toward assembly of parts-caster and build them up as I want them vs. modding a factory guitar these days.

5. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

It's much, much, much more fun to build one yourself then to order one off the rack or have it build for you. Just knowing its your hard labor that went into it makes it special.

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I always go off the rack and modify - usually low end and used, although I do have a MIA Tele and a couple of fantastic Korean Special Edition Fenders. BUT, if I were to order EXACTLY what I wanted from the custom shop, it would be this:

- Soft-V neck, 9.5" radius, rosewood fingerboard;
    - Arctic White/Black guard or Tidepool/mirror guard (can't decide!)
    - Modern plate bridge, dual load, 3 compensated vintage steel barrel saddles - kindof a modern/vintage hybrid;
    - Dimarzio Chopper/Twang King pickups with traditional 3-way switching and a mini-toggle for switching the the bridge pickup between series and parallel wiring;
    - Graphtec Nut, modern Schaller tuners, staggered (maybe locking? not a big deal either way);
    - Traditional strap buttons;
    - Chrome hardware.

That would be an awesome Tele (to me).

7. Telenewb81

Telenewb81 TDPRI Member

I figured out the specs that I wanted, bought the parts and put it together myself, kind of a 50s neck, 60s body hybrid 1BD08D09-5E95-42AE-B7A7-6724416E5D03.jpeg

baiff likes this.
  8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Let me say that I am completely satisfied with Squiers and
    Epiphones and PRS SE’s which I get great pleasure from
    playing.

The one thing I am so appreciative of - due to current circumstances - because I’ve adapted to the lifestyle of a Cat is the Headphone jack on the Roland JC-40 - because
    @2:30am it’s worth its’ weight in unobtanium.

And it’s a real old school 1/4” port.
    Delightful as skinny dipping. :D:D

9. BD56

BD56 TDPRI Member

Hi, I hope you don't mind me chipping in...

I think the main problem with ordering a custom made guitar is that you will spend a lot of money on a guitar that you haven't played, and the way a guitar feels (and sounds) when it's in your own hands is the first point you can truly tell whether you love it (or not). What you spend, the reputation of the builder and the specification, however detailed, cannot guarantee that you'll have an instrument that you gel with. The two guitars on which I have spent the most money both fell in this category - bought online - and both were sold within a year, virtually un-played.

I make my own T-type and S-Type guitars, having started by buying Warmoth etc bits to assemble, and graduating to making them myself (with a bit of help on the necks). Even then, some I love, others not quite so much.

For me a guitar must firstly FEEL right, secondly SOUND right, finally LOOK right, in that order.

Two thoughts about getting it to FEEL right:

i) You could pick up and play as many (for sale) guitars that have the potential to sound right (listen to them unplugged?), until you are holding one that feels just right. Hopefully it will sound good too, but if not find a good tech who can help you get the sound you want.

ii) I think how a Tele feels to play is mostly about the neck (and maybe the body weight). It's not such a problem to make a neck feel great to your own hands (unless it already feels too small).

I put together my guitars without the electrics, and unpainted, and mostly set them up, to see how they feel and sound. In particular I make sure the fret ends are rounded with a triangular file, and I soften the fretboard edges with some wire wool. Then I play for a while, maybe in front of the TV. If the neck feels too thick, or isn't comfortable on one part of my hand, I take some 300-400 grit sandpaper cushioned in my playing hand, to the back of it. Not too much. Then play it more. The trick here is to take off wood in baby steps. Don't take any more off today, wait until tomorrow. When it feels right smooth it with 0000 wire wool. (then I finish them)

So an option might be to find a guitar that sounds right and have a go at shaping its neck to your hand. Probably not a valuable one first time....

Another way would be to build a T-Type from parts and doctor the neck (as above) as you put it together. It's highly satisfying.

Either way, you will need to pick up some (pretty easy) skills, and think about (re-)finishing the neck afterwards.

If you can find a really good local guitar tech, you could maybe collaborate so you learn to put together the guitar, get the neck right etc, while the tech picks up the jobs you're not initially comfortable with.

Sorry if this seems a bit random.

Jake909 likes this.
  10. Jjmatashi

Jjmatashi TDPRI Member

The Chinese are not "even" anymore. I have an Eastman SB59 that is far better built than any Les Paul I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of high-spec ones. In fact, right now I'm selling my current LP and keeping the Eastman.

11. Chuckboy

Chuckboy Tele-Meister

I commission Rob Oliveira at Rhomco Guitars to build all mine.

12. wilsonrcraig

wilsonrcraig NEW MEMBER!

Rick Kelly at Carmine Street does the best work available, IMO. I have one from him he built me 15 years ago and it will be a family heirloom. I can’t put it down.

13. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Tele’s are the original “off-the-rack” guitar. After many CS/non-CS guitars, always come back to my Nash T52; An excellent guitar w/CS mojo. Note: 50’s, 60’s, 70’ (Deluxe) era teles feel very different.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  14. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

For me, it would be my own "custom shop" effort, which is this...

20190918_195600.jpg

But with a better paint finish and a "Fender XII" neck, with no fret dots.
    Here's a very rough knock up

tele 12.png

I would probably have a Creamery Toaster pickup in the neck, to give me the option of a the rickenbacker sound. I've priced it up on Warmoth, and I just can't justify it when my version is so bloody close!

15. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

I have a couple custom telecasters and am preparing to build a franken tele now. It's about putting all the parts on it that shouldn't be there. Photos soon.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You're about the same age as me (although you got into guitar quicker) and what I saw was, starting in the 1960s, people to some degree played the nice-ish guitar that fell into their hands. We spent time practicing on whatever we had, and if someone offered us a guitar, if we liked it at all we borrowed it or bought it if we could.

I've got a whole bunch of Teles now, and it would seem I wanted at least some variety. I'm not sure I would be happy, with just one or two models.

So I would toss out the thread question and just suggest, within the constraints we have right now, that you sit down and plug in and play a number of them. Buy a few, and see which ones click and those that fall out of favor, just sell them off. But I confess I am most grateful I did this shopping activity, back when it was easy.

Another thought is to just buy one, play it for a year and then re-visit this question, and by then hopefully we'll be at least part-way out of this funky situation.

17. AKBluesDude

AKBluesDude TDPRI Member

18. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I like a lot of the 50's style Teles & Strats coming out of the Fender Custom Shop, that is until I see the price tag! Oh well, I'll just put together another parts caster...

Spooky88 likes this.
  19. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

I wouldn't order one. I would buy an Alembic. A Tele is a Tele is a Tele. It's beauty lies in its simplicity and form/function ratio. If you "customize" a Tele...well it no longer is a Tele.

Spooky88 likes this.
  20. Le_Jude16

Le_Jude16 TDPRI Member

I have this dream of owning a daphne blue guitar that’s not “off the rack” so that humbucker in the bridge and the classic chrome single coil neck pickup glossy maple neck and board, locking tuners. Mmmmmmm heaven. Oh and a cut bevel on the corner like a strat so my arm doesn’t get a rash for playing too long.

RCinMempho likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.