If you went from tube to solid state . . . . How come?

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
My little Vox Night Train is dead. Again. I could have it repaired. Or, I could see what new solid state amps are like. I’m intrigued by Quilter. I don’t need megawatts. Don’t want them, really.

If you made the switch, how come? Are you happy?
I tried my friend’s Quilter and liked it so much I bought a 200 watt tone block and frontliner docking cab. It’s super light and I’m running it directly into the PA, FOH. Takes pedals well, has a buffered effects loop, and easy to set up. I also have a Mach ll MicroPro that I normally leave at the rehearsal studio, but I’m comfortable with either at a gig.
I’m old and I’ve had my days with tube amps and they’re over. I’ve gigged with SS for 6 years plus and never had any issues. I’ve sold all my tube amps.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I haven't given up tube amps for SS amps... I've always owned both, and now I also own modelers as well.

What I like about SS amps is the consistency of the tone across volumes. There is no "sweet spot" or certain level you need to reach. Ironically, what I love best about tube amps is their "sweet spot"... you just can't always get to it, which is my point!

Its really not an either or situation for me. A good sound is a good sound, period.

My thoughts exactly.

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have a mix of tube and solid state amps.
I know what you mean. I actually miss my ‘69 silverface drip-edge Vibrolux, not because I was gigging with it and it sounded so dang good, but because I had kept it so long and I kept it in pristine condition. But after I injured my lower back, I really needed something a lot lighter with great tone. The Quilters are more than enough, but I don’t feel the same close bond with SS. Maybe tube amps seem more alive - not better sounding, just alive. I don’t really know how to describe it. But I doubt I’ll ever go back.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
My first amp was a 15 watt solid state Traynor.
I'm currently using a 15 watt tube amp built for me by a friend.
I absolutely love the sound of my tube amp... however, the overdrive on that Traynor was bloody awesome. If I could find one of those old solid state Traynors, I'd definitely grab it.
I have a 1995 Champ 110 25W SS 2 channel and its overdrive is amaging. Still chasing that with my Blues Jr.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Yep. I have a Polytone mini-brute and it sounds great. I had the speaker replaced a few years ago after it blew up (!) and the tech not only fixed the speaker but he also replaced the reverb which was not working. The only bad thing about Polytones is if they break, good luck finding someone who wants to try and fix it. The customer service is terrible too; are they even in business anymore??
I couldn't find a Polytone that wasn't a basket case BUT that gave me the opportunity to check out my first Roland Cube 60 which I bought used in good shape and still own today. Once I got
a Roland it raised the bar on my expectations no doubt ESPECIALLY with
a Hollowbody BUT NOW I simply favor them regardless of what I play.
Dependability Is A Good Thing.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I know what you mean. I actually miss my ‘69 silverface drip-edge Vibrolux, not because I was gigging with it and it sounded so dang good, but because I had kept it so long and I kept it in pristine condition. But after I injured my lower back, I really needed something a lot lighter with great tone. The Quilters are more than enough, but I don’t feel the same close bond with SS. Maybe tube amps seem more alive - not better sounding, just alive. I don’t really know how to describe it. But I doubt I’ll ever go back.
I tend to use small tube amps at home and when playing electric at drummer-less acoustic jams. For live performances I take my SS amps. My acoustic amp is SS as well.

Sleph

Friend of Leo's
SS are just less finicky, require less maintenance and usually don't weigh as much... with all the gear we carry aound these days it's just less to worry about.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I've gone back and forth. I seem to have tonal ADD. Every amp colors the sound of the guitar. It all depends on the colors you like at the time. I've owned a Quilter, sounded really good but didn't inspire me. I had a solid state DVMark that was really nice but when hit with gain, it didn't do it for me. I've owned 4 different modelers (Firebox, Helix, HeadRush), currently an Ampero II Stomp. It sounds really good but I keep going to my Laney Lionheart L5S when I need inspiration. I play the modeler more often, out of convenience.

Last edited:

twochiptele

TDPRI Member
What I like about SS amps is the consistency of the tone across volumes. There is no "sweet spot" or certain level you need to reach. Ironically, what I love best about tube amps is their "sweet spot"... you just can't always get to it, which is my point!
More often than not I could not reach that sweetspot, because it might get too loud for the venue. Or vice versa, running out of clean steam when I brought an underpowered tube amp just for the purpose of that "sweet spot".... this , in the end, I found often frustrating an / or uninspirational. Add some finicky tube quality (in the past) and the convenience of lighter weight and aforementioned consistency in tone of SS , and I was off into Solid State Land. Analog mind you, digital I can't stand. Still love the sound of a nice tube amp though!