1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you see a School Bus STOP, It's THE LAW!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Nov 2, 2018.

1. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ah, thanks for the clarification - I should have noticed your location as well, but didn't. That is a very big difference and I fully understand your concern given the difference...

-Ray

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

My son is in Kindergarten.. his bus stop is on the side of "The Great Road" which is basically the town's main street. It is 2 lanes per side in front of his bus stop, even though it is not so in most parts of town.

Thank goodness he doesn't have to cross the street. The local police have our back as one of the officers watches his bus stop at least one day a week and almost always nails someone when the school bus comes. We are also at the bus stop every day and the school policy is children are not allowed to get off the bus if their parent is not at the bus stop. If no one is there to collect them at the bus they get driven back to the school and you get a call that you have to pick them up.

Yesterday morning someone not only went past the bus when the red lights were on, they also laid on the horn as they passed as if the bus driver was at fault. Absolutely ridiculous.

IMO you drive dangerously in a school zone or around a bus stop.. the book should be thrown at you, far more so than speeding on the highway. There's NO excuse, and you aren't saving any time at all. You're getting to the next red light 5 seconds faster and then you wait for the red light and you get through the light at the same time you would have if you had driven safely. Speeding almost never saves any meaningful time unless you're on a big highway drive where going 75mph vs 65mph does actually save you some time, although you're still only talking about 10 minutes per hour there.

The police also seem to get this around here.. you almost never see anyone pulled over on the highway.

I have a lot of bicycling/motorcycling stories too about irresponsible car drivers. Luckily I've never been seriously injured but I had friends who did so. I have been hit by a driver who ran a stop sign when I had the right of way.. sent me flying 10 feet and I miraculously didn't have any serious injuries.

It's ancedotal but the driving has gotten so bad with the distracted cell phone behavior that it seems like quite a few bicyclist and motorcyclists I've talked to have given up or have moved more of their riding off the road.. either concentrating on going to the racetrack with a motorcycle, or switching to riding dirt bikes, or in the case of bicycling switching from primarily road cycling to gravel road riding or mountain biking where there's less exposure to bad drivers.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

I understand. In the US, the public school districts operate the bus systems themselves. They receive tax revenue from the communities they serve.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife and I the other day were coming home from yet another trip to the grocery store, (I think it's her hobby) when the kids were being let out of school. The light had clearly turned red, as a matter of fact we were clear stopped, kids were forming together to cross the street when a guy in an Escalade came barreling through the intersection at approximately 70 mph! It's a big intersection with six lane streets in both directions. The speeders and red light runners out here in California are wise to the traffic lights at intersections having a delay between the time the light turns red, and the light turning green for the cross traffic. I shudder to think of the carnage this person could have caused. Some people should not be allowed to operate a vehicle and I nominate that guy and his insane brothers of the road.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    boredguy6060, nojazzhere and awasson like this.
  5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Over here in the colonies :p we have lots of those yellow busses. I’m pretty sure the bus is owned and maintained by the school it services. They hire the drivers but I’m not sure how the training and certification is handled. I haven’t really noted any trouble with how ours operates.

At crosswalks we have crossing guards. They’re volunteers and typically parents, grandparents, retirees who are trained to direct traffic and make sure kids get across safely. I always thought that would be a cool dad thing to do.

Now, the other day, somewhere in Canada a cop did something stupid and I’d really like to treat this idiot to a cuff upside the back of the head. He was taking his kid for a driving lesson in a school zone (his kid was driving) and the crossing guard had stopped traffic to get the kids across the road. His kid rolled across the crosswalk while traffic was stopped and the crossing guard repeatedly demanded he stop, finally slapping the hood with his stop sign as the kid drove away. So what does the cop do. He gets his kid to pull over and hasn’t the crossing guard arrested for hitting the car.

WTF :mad: I’m still incensed.

The charges were obviously droppped but if that were my dad or grandad who was put through that, I’d be demanding that the cop get some road safety training and some sort of accountability for such a stupid abuse of power. I’m the first to support our police force but I loose my mind when I see or hear about such abuses.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I wish kids would learn that they don't have to accept the stupidity of previous generations, and they don't have to live in a world designed around cars, while holding drivers to such incredibly low standards.

boredguy6060 and awasson like this.
  7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

The cop should be fired.

awasson likes this.
  8. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Not everywhere in the US. Many school districts in my area contract with private bus companies. I drove for one such company many years ago, and that company serviced three different school districts.

boris bubbanov and deadbeat son like this.
  9. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Valid point, thank you for clarifying. I was not aware that some districts outsource that function.

Artunes likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's a lot of higher speeds being used on "near-Interstate" types of multi-lane divided highways. 75 mph is the new 55 mph. But there's still intersections, plenty of cross overs and these roads are actively used by school buses. And they pass right by schools.

If you use these roads, learn when the buses are active and try to reschedule your travels to avoid it. Learn the state law but also the local CUSTOM as to whether opposite direction traffic is expected to stop or may stop and slow down accordingly. 65 mph is probably not safe if the person in front of you decides to stop (even though the school bus is 50 yards away, off to your left). Some people act as though the Westbound activity isn't even there and others don't care if the opposing lanes are separated by 15 yards of grass - or 5 yards or 30 yards.

This is most common in the Old South (S. Carolina may be the center of this) but vehicles will sometimes stop as a funeral procession travels by in the opposite direction. Rural, passed over areas have this the most. Know the local customs as to this. These folks all assume you're going to stop also - they won't leave you a way to get by. The road is clearly divided? It may mean nothing in some places.

11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

- STOP -

12. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Holic

Agreed, nojazz; there are many cyclists who are bone-heads, and create dangerous situations for cars and themselves.

I have a friend, who I won't ride with anymore, because he always has ear buds on, and can't hear anything.

The reason I posted what I did, is because sometimes you only see the things I mentioned riding a bike. You won't notice them driving or walking.

One of these is: A car passes you on a relatively wide street, them BOOM! The odor of marijuana! And there's only one person in the car.

Mike

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

In New York, we even have to stop when we are on the opposite side of a divided highway. Most people do not know about this aspect of the law and you are taking your life in your hands by stopping. It seems insane that the bus would drop kids off where they had to cross a median and several more lanes of traffic to get home.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

That's crazy. In Wisconsin, we don't need to stop on the opposite side if there is a median.

15. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

A school bus is a LEGAL LEGITIMATE mobile STOP LIGHT!
    People driving other vehicles are to busy with all there distractions they bring with them behind the wheel!
    There are alot of things to be worked out.:)

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Driven to tears

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think folks have gotten accustomed to driving and cars have gotten so “safe” they no longer recognize that they are piloting a multi-ton bartering ram. Compounding that, everyone’s always in a hurry. Despite the obvious math that for a city drive of 3-5 miles, speeding saves you essentially no time to destination.

I live in a city. And like to walk where I can. On the way back from lunch yesterday I was just commenting on how much more frequently you see people approach a changing light rapidly accelerating and then run through even after the cross light is green.

We also have a retail/restaurant street a block from my house not had three mid-block crosswalks. Then business association ponies up for the signs you drop between the lanes reminding cats to stop for those in the crosswalk. I routinely step into the crosswalk and count 3-5 cars zipping by in each direction before any stop. Usually none stops.

The buss (and emergency vehicle, good call @studio1087) phenomena are all of a piece.

18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Rest in peace :(

[​IMG]

19. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I live in Japan, where driver safety is taken seriously. Any accident where an injury occurs is considered a crime, and the party who caused the accident is charged.

When a car hits a pedestrian, the accident is the fault of the driver, regardless of the circumstances. If a drunk person dressed in black takes nap on a dark highway at night, and you run over and kill him, you are going to jail. You are not going to get away with an accident if you try to run, roads and highways are monitored by cameras, and they are very sophisticated. No one ever gets away.

In Japan you cannot drive until you are 18. The cost for a car license is about $3000, the driving school takes a long time, the written test is very long and difficult, and has numerous questions meant to trick you into failing. The driving test is very difficult, and no one passes on the first attempt, most fail on the second attempt, and some never pass at all.

The end result is that drivers here drive with more care than other places. America’s annual traffic fatality rate is 5 times higher per capita than Japan’s. The entire country of Japan has fewer accidents than the state of California. 60% of fatal accidents in Japan are caused by drivers over 65.

Getting a license in America is almost absurdly easy, and most drivers are unaware of many traffic laws, such as those regarding bicycles. Driver safety is a joke.

I say all of this after having been a traffic homicide investigator in a large American city for several years. I have cleaned up thousands of accidents, hundreds of fatal accidents. Trying to get to where you are going a minute or two faster is not worth someone’s life.

awasson likes this.
  20. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been in Tokyo traffic and I can attest to the fact that the Japanese are probably the best drivers in the world. Seriously, Tokyo is a massive city and absolutely full of cars but you don't hear horns blaring and everyone is aware of the other drivers and accommodates for them. There is none of this "I must be at the front of the pack" mentality and when you are driving in Japan, you are driving. No multitasking BS... You are driving.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.