1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you see a School Bus STOP, It's THE LAW!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I heard a 30 year commercial trucker talking about the impact of whether pot is legalized next Tuesday in Michigan. He said that didn’t worry him one bit, but what worries him every day is imbeciles looking down at their cell phones in their laps.

To me, it’s a great day in their lives when kids realize that most adults are imperfect a-holes.

It’s like the gauze has been stripped away from their vision and it makes them much more aware of the dangers in the world. A little loss of innocence? Well worth it .

2. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Safety is first priority. We train both our drivers and our children how to safely get on and off the bus. This includes visual hand signals(for crossing), minimum clearances from vehicle and emergency alerts (horn), and of course, obnoxious flashing red lights and not one, but two stop signs. There is NO excuse for a child to be injured at the bus stop.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Stopping your car for a school bus that is loading or unloading children is common knowledge in the US and it is illegal not to do it. Two incidents where someone has not stopped is outside the norm for the US.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree 100% about watching the children......but we're not only talking about watching the children, we're talking about STOPPING when a bus is stopped and displaying flashing lights. In Texas, you're required to stop at the flashing lights WHETHER YOU SEE CHILDREN OR NOT!! I've witnessed someone stopping, not seeing a child, and then proceeding to pass, even though lights are still flashing. All of a sudden, a "straggling" child darts out from in front of bus, and almost gets hit. Stopping for those flashing lights is not an option....remember, the bus driver has a higher/better vantage point than you do.

awasson and boredguy6060 like this.
  5. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Holic

As an avid bicycle rider, I could write a book on some of the things drivers do on a regular basis.

Pull out from parking spots very quickly and without warning, speed down one way streets, then there are the ones that go over 100mph when going over this certain bridge.

And some of them, as has been show, are in too much of a hurry to stop at a school bus which is stopped and has its lights flashing.

Everyone is so wrapped up in themselves, slowing down is too much of an inconvenience.

Unbelievable. :(

Mike

Bassman8 and Wally like this.
  6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Why are adults getting off of a school bus in the U.K.? If you are referring to mass transit busses in general, the law is the same in the US. This topic is referring to school busses, which are expressly for the peupose of hauling children to and from school.

7. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Yes, really. There are school buses in certain areas but nothing like the big yellow ones we saw when we in America a few years ago. Where kids are transported to school by bus, they tend to be either local bus company buses used specifically for the purpose or a private contractor.

That said, I doubt most kids in the UK travel more than a couple of miles from home to get to their school.

Most kids going to school walk, cycle, catch public transport or get transported there / back in their parents' car.

I don't think I've ever seen a school bus with anything other than a "beware, children on board" sort of sign.

Therefore, the emphasis - over here - is on kids being taught safety from a very early age.

9. Paul Jenkin

Because, for the most part, there are few purely "school bus" services operated in the UK. However, on the few occasions I've seen any "school bus" services, they tend to operate in the same way as public service buses and no specific rules apply as far as other vehicles approaching a school bus as compared to any other sort of bus.

10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Who can forget the Green Cross Code TV ads starring Darth Vader? :)

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

The 3 kids killed in Indiana were actually up near Fort Wayne. It's turning into a real mess for all involved. IMO the parents should have been there to walk kids that young across the street, they weren't. The bus driver saw the car but thought it was far enough away and waved the kids across. The dumbass driver just wasn't paying attention and ran over 3 innocent kids. Ironically she had her own 3 kids in the car and was taking them to school. Hope that text was important.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Paul Jenkin

Ah, David Prowse. That takes me back a bit....

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I can't comment on city behavior but I think that some rural folks (or people passing through the country) drive like nothing really matters. Where I live there is one homestead about every 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile down the roads. I see cars and packs of bicycles in the middle of the road, swerving on the road (texting or daydreaming?), driving on the wrong side of the road, not using turn signals and yes - not stopping on both sides of the road for school busses. I see people punch it to pass a buss just as the red bus "stop" lights come on. The ethos feels like "screw it, there's no one out here and no cops". I see many farm moms who walk to the end of a 1/4 mile driveway and play with the kids (40 feet away from the road) waiting for the bus. They get it.

If you don't pull over and stop completely for ambulances and school busses then you're a very dangerous a-hole.

awasson likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

With all respect, I could probably match every violation by a driver against a cyclist with one by a cyclist against auto traffic. Too many cyclists are adopting an arrogance on the road that's going to lead to more accidents. I don't ride a bike as much as I used to, but when I did, I did it as defensively as I could.....and I didn't "dare" a car to yield to me.

flathd, cc50fralin and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Understood, that’s why I was asking. This is a totally different sort of transportation system. In the US no one is required to stop while a public bus loads/unloads passengers. School busses, discussed here, are a unique thing and we have specific laws pertaining to them.

32F42A14-8B2A-4738-B00D-FC93BADB4791.png

nojazzhere, awasson and Paul Jenkin like this.
  16. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

17. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The root of this issue as most others in current society is ME FIRST, or as we learned in the 80’s from Apple and NIKE, Just Do It and throw a hammer through the establishment. So we have and here we are.

The mantra embraced by the hip kids in Silicon Valley is “move fast and break things”. Unfortunately sometimes those things are inattentive kids.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Sounds like most of these happened at fixed bus stops. WTF with the poor kid who was run over at a "low speed" and discovered by the bus driver at the stop. Just terrible and more than a little fishy.

How about this... everyone just concentrate on the act of driving? Phones have made a whole lot of problems a whole lot worse, but drivers in the US have been inattentive as long as I can remember. I've driven on both coasts and in Texas extensively since 1986, and it's gotten worse than I could imagine.

19. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Driver must have been going very fast.

20. Paul Jenkin

Not sure if anything like that exists in the UK or even who would own it / pay for it. Never having had kids, I'm no expert on these things but I doubt local authority school budgets would stretch as far as owning or even contracting for their use.

deadbeat son likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.