If you really cared about your guitar, you’d clock your screws

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
Anyone who knows what screws are for and how they work would not "clock" the heads; ditto for pickup polepieces. I have "guitar OCD" and it manifests as adjusting and maintaining things to the highest spec, so I'm nutty about making sure things seat correctly, exert the right force, etc. I have the function, not the appearance, version of this malady.

I'm from the school of "crank it down so hard that whatever's underneath it cracks slightly from the torque."

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
upload_2021-12-4_13-46-33.gif

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Jumping the shark in the collector car world would be arranging a picture where hubcaps (with names/logos) were clocked. Or worse, jacking wheels to ensure white lettering on tires read at 12 and 6 o'clock.

But straightening a steering wheel before an interior shot you still have to do.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh, and so are all the electrical outlet covers and light switch strike plates in my house.
I think of it as an exercise in attention to detail.
(Truth, It’s really me trying to appease my insecurities over the lack of control that I have in so many aspects of farming).

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Many years ago at a Wildly Famous Guitar Repair Shop that I shall not name, the tech got into the habit of alternating the screw pole slots on Gibson humbuckers as follows.

/..\../..\../..\../

I got out the screwdriver and set up my Les Paul like that. HOLY CRAP! It doesn't improve anything. It was just the tech's little signature "move" that had nothing to do with function.

Humbucker-Screws-Poles.jpg

Over time other folks started doing it as the lore and legend grew on the Innerwebz, and it became something like the following: "arranging the poles in this manner orients the mass of the screw heads to balance the magnetic flux from one pole to the next," etc., blah blah, yadda yadda.

Hilarious.

Same thing happened with the springs in the back of a Strat. In late 1960s London a photog for Downbeat (IIRC) snapped a picture of Jimi's Strat onstage, and the three springs were clearly visible in the rear cavity. Jimi had installed them in this manner: /|\

Strat-Springs.jpg

This was just his way of personalizing his guitar. It had nothing to do with functionality, tone, etc. But that pic became another clue for clueless guitar players the world over about how Jimi got that killer tone...that he didn't really always have in a live setting.

And more superstitious guitar player goofiness ensued!

Remember: just because it's information--doesn't mean it's useful o_O

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
"I clock my screws, meaning I orient the slot in the screw heads so they are all vertical or horizontal. But I don’t think it’s a mark of superior aesthetics. It’s just something I do, like lining up the silverware on the dining table just so. I can’t help it."

This is what Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder looks like.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Jumping the shark in the collector car world would be arranging a picture where hubcaps (with names/logos) were clocked. Or worse, jacking wheels to ensure white lettering on tires read at 12 and 6 o'clock.

But straightening a steering wheel before an interior shot you still have to do.

I would like to have the valve stems on all my tires oriented the same, but I am not going to do the work to make it happen.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I would like to have the valve stems on all my tires oriented the same

My neighbor tried to talk me into getting really nice chrome steel valve stem caps for my Challenger, because those "cheap black plastic caps look cheap." He had installed Super Premium caps on his BMW because they look better.

I pointed out that adding those things to the wheels throws off the balance of the wheel. A few days later he had the cheap plastic caps back on, and said the car did feel smoother on the road.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
"I clock my screws, meaning I orient the slot in the screw heads so they are all vertical or horizontal. But I don’t think it’s a mark of superior aesthetics. It’s just something I do, like lining up the silverware on the dining table just so. I can’t help it."

This is what Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder looks like.
It may be what OCD "looks like".......but it's NOT "what it is".

:)