1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you have not heard of this young man... prepare to be amused: Matteo Mancuso

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Fiesta Red Tele, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Fiesta Red Tele

Fiesta Red Tele TDPRI Member

Young lad from Palermo, Sicily with a technique all of his own, no plectrum and yet faster than Albert Lee, with a hint of Allan Holdsworth and the endurance of Frank Gambale all thrown in for a refreshing sound that will set new standards.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Amazing player!

PhredE likes this.
  3. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

WoW!! that right hand is something else to watch!

4. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

that was cool.

5. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

That's enough to make a guy quit.

lmjmitchell and 2much like this.
  6. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Kid got chops for sure. I'll be more likely to listen to him in ten years or so when he starts to ease up on the gas pedal.

rand z, Catawompus and Rocky058 like this.
  7. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Amusing to be sure, but I think I’m more amazed than anything!

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If Al DiMeola and Brent Mason had a baby.

He has quite a few videos that feature Weather Report and other artists covers.

9. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Yeah, he's pretty amazing. He has a lot of videos. His finger picking technique is outstanding. Yikes!

10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

He makes my finger picking seem like club footing.

11. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

12. Fiesta Red Tele

Well you don't have to wait 10 years, this guy has already earned a lot of fame and has a lot of videos, but what impressed me was what Al Di Meola and Steve Vai had to say about him in these video interviews:

and as for Matteo's videos here is one that every one should watch:

13. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Wow.

Kind of makes me depressed to watch him play.

14. Fiesta Red Tele

Well not really mate... on the contrary I believe we should admire and enjoy his skills, safe in the knowledge that with such young talents, the guitar is an instrument that will go on forever. We should be happy with whatever level we can play and not feel dismayed when someone can play better than us.

15. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I said the kid has chops but at this point in his career I couldn't sit and listen to him for more than 20 minutes. Hopefully he'll write some really cool smooth original music with some dynamics. I felt like Al the way you think about this kid.
    Here he is in '77.

16. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

This "technique all of his own" is exactly what we learned in classical guitar lessons. ;-) We also learned there how to make the guitar sing instead of pling. He sounds great.

17. Fiesta Red Tele

Oh yeah I do remember Mediterranean Sundance, fantastic song with a little help from Paco De Lucia and John McLaughlin

18. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've heard his name, but never checked him out until you shared this. Extremely, extremely hard to play that clean picking with fingers. Crazy stuff, thanks for sharing.

A few observations from someone who's also had a classical background and is playing electric with fingers --
    - First, WTF.
    - He's one of those guys whose hands fit the fretboard perfectly. Like if you started with the size of his palm and fingers and then designed the guitar around it.
    - His way of playing pinch harmonics is weird, picking with ring finger while touch string with pointing finger. I am going to try that first thing in the morning.
    - His transitioning from classical position to a more Wes Montgomery position is seamless... like he can change during phrases. I didn't think that was possible. I want to watch more videos to see if he can do those transitions as seamlessly when improvising, but I assume he can.
    - His right wrist is a little bit cranked when doing classical position since he's still holding the guitar like an electric... I hope this doesn't cause physiological issues for him as ages, but you figure he must have put in the hours by now and seems to be doing fine, so maybe it's fine for him. Normally when fingers go into that classical position perpendicular to strings, your elbow is at a higher angle so your wrist doesn't need to be turned like that.
    - He uses the string mute thing. The biggest challenge i had in putting down the pick on electric was muting with my right hand while playing.. I thought those things were cheating, but maybe I should have just stopped making things more challenging for myself and used one of those.
    - The other major challenge I've had is playing rhythm to the level I did with a pick... if anyone who is already familiar with him has a video showing off his right hand strumming, please share. I just watched a few videos so far and haven't seen him do rhythm playing yet.
    - lastly, WTF.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  19. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Has chops? Dood, he's way beyond just having chops.

How magnanimous of you to grant that he "has chops". Hopefully some day he can live up to your standards.

20. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

The kid is amazing, no doubt he has the technique pegged. But as others have noted, he's not fully baked yet. Let him reach his potential, then revisit this thread, and you will understand MickM's point.

MickM and rand z like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.