If you have a TC Electronic Spark Boost... try this setting...

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
I got my first TC Spark boost pedal a couple months ago. I had an idea for a setting, and it works really good for extra grit that stacks well after other overdrive... here is the setting... notice that on purpose the "FAT" setting is chosen on the 3-way mini toggle. Notice the Treble is set fairly high. Bass is zero. Gain is about 2-o'clock, and at this setting combined with the others is a really good edgy overdriven sound.

I have two other pedals all with volume/level controls ahead of this one in the signal chain. One is a Source Audio Atlas Compressor. The other is a Lovepedal Kanji 9 OD. (Similar in a way to a JHS Angry Charlie). I have all the levels on these three pedals equally so when punching in one doesn't boost the volume at all. The spark is working as sort of a treble booster as well. When the Kanji OD is kicked on at the same time, this setting along with my Kanji at the same time give off this velvety excellent gain pile (my words), LOL...

The level control being so low is actually part of the sound, too. The Gain/Level controls on the Spark work together like a master volume a pre-amp volume set on a tube amp. I was just digging this same setting with several different guitars. I have a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, an Epiphone Joe Pass jazz guitar, and an Epiphone SG Modern Figured. All sounded great...

I've been experimenting like a Mad Scientist lately (MOO-HOO-HA-HA-HA-HA) with different pedals. I have my pedalboard up on a wooden folding TV tray, so I can see all the controls easier. Plus, I have a bah-zillion patch cables and I can try different pedal arrangements, such as this or that before or after this or that... dang, I need a patch bay, LOL... (I discovered in this manner my TC Sub'N'Up Octave pedal really truly ooly likes to be the first pedal after the guitar...one octave higher, one octane lower, and two octaves lower, then a mix knob between your dry guitar signal and the effected signal... ... you can totally shut off the dry guitar signal, and become a bass player for a day... very realistic bass...

Well, I found something cool inside a pedal that was maybe note marketed do do what I am doing, but it does it very well... and thought I'd share it... with ya'll...

Spark Booster Treble Boost setting-cr.jpg

Last edited:

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I got my first TC Spark boost pedal a couple months ago. I had an idea for a setting, and it works really good for extra grit that stacks well after other overdrive... here is the setting... notice that on purpose the "FAT" setting is chosen on the 3-way mini toggle. Notice the Treble is set fairly high. Bass is zero. Gain is about 2-o'clock, and at this setting combined with the others is a really good edgy overdriven sound.

I have two other pedals all with volume/level controls ahead of this one in the signal chain. One is a Source Audio Atlas Compressor. The other is a Lovepedal Kanji 9 OD. (Similar in a way to a JHS Angry Charlie). I have all the levels on these three pedals equally so when punching in one doesn't boost the volume at all. The spark is working as sort of a treble booster as well. When the Kanji OD is kicked on at the same time, this setting along with my Kanji at the same time give off this velvety excellent gain pile (my words), LOL...

The level control being so low is actually part of the sound, too. The Gain/Level controls on the Spark work together like a master volume a pre-amp volume set on a tube amp. I was just digging this same setting with several different guitars. I have a Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, an Epiphone Joe Pass jazz guitar, and an Epiphone SG Modern Figured. All sounded great...

I've been experimenting like a Mad Scientist lately (MOO-HOO-HA-HA-HA-HA) with different pedals. I have my pedalboard up on a wooden folding TV tray, so I can see all the controls easier. Plus, I have a bah-zillion patch cables and I can try different pedal arrangements, such as this or that before or after this or that... dang, I need a patch bay, LOL... (I discovered in this manner my TC Sub'N'Up Octave pedal really truly ooly likes to be the first pedal after the guitar...one octave higher, one octane lower, and two octaves lower, then a mix knob between your dry guitar signal and the effected signal... ... you can totally shut off the dry guitar signal, and become a bass player for a day... very realistic bass...

Well, I found something cool inside a pedal that was maybe note marketed do do what I am doing, but it does it very well... and thought I'd share it... with ya'll...

View attachment 1028820
thanks I like mine, it does a lot and does it very very well. Josh Smith over at JHS talked about it in a very positive light while he was talking about why you need a boost pedal and the history and how page and clapton used what was the name of that pedal to brighten their sound, ah ha! the Dallas Rangemaster that's it .
I found his discussion very interesting.
Wow the original Range master pedal are really " collectable" = Big Bucks.

British Pedal Company Vintage Series Rangemaster Pedal

treble boost was the original application for british amps as Fenders were none existent in britain at the time because laws tariff or some.
Any way good looking out I agree Sparky is a good pedal.
bike 456.jpg

washburnmemphis

TDPRI Member

View attachment 1028820
Tried this and it works very well adds lots of sustain. Thinking about getting another Spark.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
Had my Spark for about 2 months, and I am very impressed with what it can do. Always like trying new settings.

kevsonic

Tele-Meister
Man, posts like this reminds me of why I love these forums! I have a Spark that I pull out on occasion, and I went with a "less gain and more level" variant of this, driving a Barber Direct Drive, and I'm smitten!

The Spark is really a lovely tone ingredient to keep in one's "cupboard", at the very least.

Thanks for the tip!

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
Nice. I was practicing some jazz. Pulled out my Spark and gave your settings a whirl. I have my SG Special w/P90s into my PRRI., so, unsurprisingly, I made a couple of changes. I cut the bass since Princetons are so bassy and I switched to MID cause I love mids. Sounds great. Thanks!

1667770094103.jpeg

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Maybe its me, but, the fat was more bass mid thick
and the flip to mid was more voxy.