If you had to learn a few songs to learn how to play rock n roll, which would you pick?

Peter Graham

TDPRI Member
I would agree with teletail. Learn to play a few songs that you actually like. You are far more likely to stick with it if you can slowly hear a song you have always loved emerging from your own hands. By contrast, if you never liked Mull of Kintyre, why on earth would you want to spend hours in its company? My pal taught guitar in the early 90s and he always asked students to give him a cassette of their ten favourite songs. This being Manchester back in the day, it was all Stone Roses, Charlatans, Smith's, New Order and Inspiral Carpets rather than 50s or 60s classics.

With the possible exception of 70s prog noodlers, most bands will have produced a few structurally simple songs and many will have produced lots of structurally simple songs. Many are based round the same three or four chord progression, so a) pick a band you like, b) pick a shortish or a catchy tune by that band and chances are it is something you can master. Back to my mate. He'd pick the simplest tracks on the cassette and start there. If a Charlatans song is similar to (say) Johnny B Goode, teach them the Charlatans song as it's much more likely they'll practice it.

Might I also suggest focussing on the rhythm parts first.(whether that is chords or riffs)? Get a feel for the song's underlying pattern before you start looking at what the lead player is doing.

Last edited:

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
These would be my 12 Apostles of Rock n Roll...

Johnny B Goode
Rock Around the Clock
Somethin' Else
Bee Bop A Lula
Shakin' All Over
Peggy Sue
Summertime Blues
Heartbreak Hotel
Rebel Rouser
Great Balls of Fire
Jailhouse Rock
Tutti Frutti

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
I remember guys like Eddie Van Halen or Johnny Marr would woodshed when they were kids to Cream or the Stooges to learn how to play. What are some essential rock songs you would think are worth while to learn?
Rock songs? Plain Rock?
I think I can't see a single one posted up there ^^^
😂

...anyway, I suscribe most of them.
I'm sure EVH and J.Marr learned quite a few R'n Roll, Blues and Country licks before Cream or The Stooges.

I would always go to the fonts, and as said up there, focus on your rhythm guitar, the simpler you can to get the feel of the song.

If you're looking for just ROCK, step on 70's

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This is the one I learned from.

Fantastic album! This is a 'must have' album not just for Johnny fans, but any blues-rock fan- too good!

I think the first Johnny Winter version.of "Johnny B. Goode" I heard was from that LIVE Johnny Winter And album, where Johnny tells out "Rock and Rollllllll!!" before hitting that fantastic guitar intro- that band was powerful!

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
The international version of AC/DC's Let There Be Rock in its entirety. Each and every track is a classic.

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
All the previous posts say exactly what I was going say, so...
But..
I will echo what has been said by a few..
'Rock and Roll' is based on the beat, namely the chunka-chunka shuffle of Chuck Berry. That IS RnR. Gets the hands clapping and toes tapping.
Learn that first. Two strings and three fingers- two for the double stop (tonic and 5th) and the pinky to add the 6th.
Also helps with finger dexterity and learning the fretboard layout for the beginner guitarist.