1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you had free access to any parts what kind of amp(s) would you like to design/build

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Wrecktangle, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Wrecktangle

Wrecktangle TDPRI Member

If you could have a guitar amp or 3 built lets say for free and had access to mix and match any parts from today or new old stock how would you design it and why? Like maybe you want a fender twin reverb unit and a magnatone vibrato with marshall tubes based on a supro circuit etc. Like a partscaster but from different ampilifiers or a "franken amp".

I dont have much experience with a huge range of amplifiers or even a very good ear but i really like the vibrato on one of my old magnatones and the reverb on an old 60s gibson ive got, i could imagine having a 15-20 watt or so amp with that vibrato and reverb and a tone knob. Nothing fancy maybe add stereo outputs and a effects loop. Make it a head unit with a 15" speaker cabinet. I dont know much about all the different possibilities of different amps though so i am curious to how you all might design a franken amp.

Dukex likes this.
  2. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I get it, but no, not me. I like a Princeton Reverb, a 5e3, a Vox for what they are, not for what they could be if I changed them.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I would love to try a Fender Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb with a Mesa/Boogie dual-stage preamp section.

4. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Marshall 1974 (18 Watt) with TMB and an extra EF86 channel (not sacrificing the trem channel to achieve the above). In a 2x12 combo with Celestion Bulldogs.
    I think that would suffice :)

Tele-beeb likes this.
  5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

A HIWATT CUSTOM 7 with Reverb...

[​IMG]

-tbln.

DougM likes this.
  6. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

A Lab Series L9...

upload_2021-1-15_18-51-21.jpeg

7. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

More weight than anything. A Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS) in place of the power transformer. Below 20W the amount of weight reduction isn't too much but above it starts to add up. I have two Siemans C3M tubes that are the Rolls Royce of tubes. They are pentodes, built to be used in amplifiers for undersea cables. Not like they could go down to change a tube if one went wonky. Even strapped as triodes they had a gain of 77, low noise to boot. Once I decide my ultimate guitar amp they will be in the first hole where they will make the most effect on keeping noise down.

I have some ECC801-S Telefunken tubes, probably the best 12AT7 tube made, could be good for the phase inverter. Maybe even on the position between the input and the phase inverter? Depending on how it sounds. I have a whole whack of 12V6's, might as well go with them. Maybe a JCM800 circuit. With reverb. I could use a good tank though. I do like a little bit of delay, would be handy to have that in there also. I regret throwing out a pair of old Celestion speakers I had. The voice coils unraveled. They were not even guitar speakers at the time. They had a great Marshall sound though.

8. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

50, 100, and 200 watt plexis

Bella likes this.
  9. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

They already have them. Nothing new.

10. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

hot take from a gimmick

11. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

A custom 5F2-A Princeton with an EVM12L , a 6G15 reverb tank, and an extension speaker with an EVM15L. The custom option allows me to swap rectifiers, power tubes, and preamp tubes.

12. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Something (not a vox) with a quad of EL84. Something with a quad of 6V6 too.

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

to have an idea of what to build, i'd have to play a heck of a lot more amps than i have so far. there's too many classics i've never played: hi-watt, vox ac30, marshalls, on and on.

14. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Second channel of a brown Vibroverb in a Deluxe Reverb sized cab with a neo speaker. I think that's what I'd do.

DougM likes this.
  15. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

A brownface Harvard.

16. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

A brownface Princeton with blackface reverb tank...

Engine Swap likes this.
  17. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Tweed Bassman with cathode-biased 6V6s and 5Y3. I've done it before and kind of itching to do it again.

18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Ok you can laugh at me, it's OK,

but I'd like, were it possible to have the 'guts'...
    ( chassis/hard-wired board/ tranies/speaker/reverb pan)

... of the Vibrato channel of a BF Deluxe Reverb ( I owned a '68 DR many years- loved it, but had to sell) put into my very first amp ( and later, also my 2nd ) a brand new 1976 Yamaha G50-112 - stolen in College, 1980 ( I would buy the same model amp, used, in 1982!)
    I just always liked the look of the Yamaha amp- and with just the Vibrato channel of a DR, it would actually sound good too!
    download (1).jpeg

Tony Forman likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I'd like to design a single ended amp with a single 6L6 and a 10" speaker, sort of a baby Super Reverb, with 3 band EQ, and some modern features, like a master volume, digital effects, and USB or XLR out for direct recording. Why is it that no one has ever designed a tube amp with digital effects? There are some that have digital reverb, why not delay, chorus, and other effects?

20. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

- Front end of a Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+, but with the tone controls reversed (5-band EQ up front, FMV between preamp and power)
    - Reverb circuit from a Fender Dual Showman
    - Back end of a Marshall JCM 800
    - Engl cabinet

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.