1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you had a tweed amp, what would be the second amp to get?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by bluesholyman, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

You need something different, for a contrast. I recommend one of these :p

[​IMG]

2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My deluxe duo - a Tweed 5E3 clone and a '65 RI head - can do a lot together.

loopfinding likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a tweed 5F1 Champ clone with a 12" speaker. If I got another amp, it would be...

..ANOTHER TWEED! Probably a Deluxe, Super or Bandmaster clone if budget weren't an issue. Or maybe a small (traditional) Champ clone with an AlNiCo speaker (mine has a ceramic 12).

If I HAD to get a non-tweed...probably a brown face Deluxe (Chris Stapleton model looks cool).

Maguchi, High Head Brad and jman72 like this.
  4. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

My favorite amp is my 5e3 clone, so my next build was- a 5f1! I already have a SF Twin and Pro Reverb, so I have the big stuff covered, but my next amp will be the Robrob 6v6 Blackvibe (basically the BFDR with only the nonreverb channel).

I think the Tweed 5e3 and the Blackvibe will be the perfect pairing- Fender's low power, dual 6v6 masterpieces! They seem like the sweet spot for me.

Maguchi likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Reading through all the posts I was wondering why nobody had suggested one of these Magnatone combos. I was thinking a Panoramic stereo could be a winner too: light weight, clean amp with reverb and stereo vibrato. And even with enough headroom to compete with your California Tweed if you want to use it in the same context.

oregomike and Maguchi like this.
  6. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

Marshall 1973x = 2x12 18-Watt

7. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

If I had a Tweed amp, I would get another Tweed! The BF Princeton Reverb RI is also a very good amp, but without that great edge of breakup that Tweeds have.
    Champs.jpg Fender Princeton.jpg

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Have to agree that the Fender BF Princeton Reverb is awesome and versatile. There are reasonable alternatives to get a handwired version of this amp.. In March of 2019 I ordered a handwired version of the Fender '65 Princetion Reverb reissue from Allesandro Amps. Allesandro bought a brand new Fender Princetion PC board amp and converted it to completely handwired. They charged me $1350 for the amp and handwiring work plus $50 shipping. I believe Fender was selling the PCB version for $999 at the time.
    Princeton2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  9. Wharfcreek

Wharfcreek Tele-Meister

I gotta jump in here and comment on the 'hand wired' vs 'PC Board' amps. Needless to say, I'm all about 'tube amps' and the associated magic that those valves produce. However, there is bit of 'wives tale' about the true benefits of a point-to-point wired amp vs a PC board amp as it relates to the general judgement that the hand-wired amp will sound better. Personally, I differ from this opinion greatly! Honestly, I've done blind A/B tests on so many amps that I lost count decades ago. And, the reality that I perceive is that it's all about the circuit, good build practices, and parts choices used in construction. In other words, just because an amp has a printed circuit board in it does NOT mean it will categorically sound 'worse'! In fact, it might sound better!! If you look at the picture I posted on Pg 2 of this thread (post #37), the keen eye will pick up on both a'65 black face deluxe reverb RI, as well as an 'original' '68 drip-edge silver face version of the same amp. The OE '68 'as-is' it sounds pretty lame even though it's all set up 100% 'to spec'. On the flip side, the '65 RI amp sounds great!! And, if you check, you'll probably find that both amps are made to the original AB763 circuit....just one is done 'point-to-point' vs the other where a PC board is employed. The distinction between the two is greatly affected by the fact that the '68 has an old Oxford speaker in it which (IMHO) is perhaps one of the worst speakers I've ever heard. The RI amp has a Fender 'Jensen' speaker, and it sounds great! Plug the '68 into the RI cabinet and it comes to life! So, as I see it, 'proof-positve' that it's not all in the PC board!! However, in defense of the P2P amps, in general, they are more durable than the modern-day PC board amp. This is partially due to the quality of the pc board itself, as well as the components used. Things like 'parts' or 'Pots' breaking loose from the PC board is not an uncommon complaint about these amps. So, if you're doing a lot of gigging, and transporting the amp around on a regular basis, the PC board construction may NOT be as up to the task as the P2P amp. But, this NOT about how it sounds.....it's about how it holds up over time! Big difference!! And, if it's going to be a home amp or living in a studio....then the danger of a physical failure is really limited. Anyway, the process of re-constructing a point-to-point amp into a previously made 'PC board' amp is REALLY time-consuming, and labor-intensive. And, probably not worth it unless you've got money to burn and you just want to indulge your own desire to have it done that way. I would recommend the PC board amp to anyone, but like recommending a guitar, I would also advise to play several of them to get a feel for any subtle difference you might encounter. I'd also give the same advice for buying a point-to-point amp, or even a guitar. That's just 'smart'! Eventually you'll find one that you really like....and probably find a few you don't. That's why you try several. Any amp can have a cabinet that vibrates, or a slight 'hum' or 'buzz'......where others might not. Just like like playing 10 Teles may produce one that you really like the best. Common sense, eh? Anyway....that's my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  10. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

For me the next amp would be another tweed amp..... and then probably at least 1 more. I've got 3 amps and all are tweed varieties (original Princeton plus Deluxe and Super clones) and I'm planning to get a Tremolux built.

My first non-tweed amp will / would probably be a Blackface Princeton. The combination of that amp with a Tweed Deluxe sounds spectacular for Mike Campbell..... but then again it is Mike Campbell.

Maguchi, El Tele Lobo and Cali Dude like this.
  11. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

Try a Peavey Classic 30. Great amps !

Maguchi likes this.
  12. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I know I’m way late, but here’s how I augmented my 5e3: with a vox ac15 and PRRI. All the cleans I could want and all the gains I could ask for, especially dimed with a treble booster out front.

9DE44F5D-AD1E-4A7C-9E31-98D05444AB0A.jpeg

El Tele Lobo and Cali Dude like this.
  13. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

upload_2021-2-26_9-55-36.png

bluesholyman and Maguchi like this.
  14. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

I read quite a bit of your post and seem to agree with most of it. With my limited knowledge of electronics, I assumed that the sound would not improve at all and that a stock PCB amp and the same amp converted to handwired would sound about the same. My reason for the conversion was for ease of repair or modification in the future and for possibly more durability. The ease of ordering and cost also swayed me. Buying the stock amp from a retailer would have cost me $999, buying the handwired version cost me $1350. I was in email communications with the company and George Allesandro said in a reply email that he handwired the amp himself. I looked at the insides and it is a beautiful job of first rate wiring and soldering. Allesandro is a well respected boutique amp company. IMHO the Allesandro plates on the front of the amp and paperwork will help the amp maintain it's value.

20210226_220158.jpg 20210226_220027.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    darkwaters and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a late tweed Princeton and a silverface Princeton Reverb.

Their eq’s are so opposite that if I play them at the same time, they cancel each other out and no sound emerges.

This is fact.

16. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

Yeah, I looked at the stereo version, But felt the stereo vibrato might be a bit too much for my brain to handle. LOL.

17. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

What about the reverb tank? it looks like there’s an awful lot of posts so I don’t know if it’s been brought up already. Or reverb tank and a spinner, I can let you have my Cordovox for A good fair price! That mix of static dry speaker with the spinner is heavenly or wash it all in reverb, you can’t go wrong either way.

18. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Haha, Instead of reading through the posts I should’ve just looked to the end!

19. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

I’ve heard of phasing problems but that one takes the cake. Are you talking about going into the input on for demonstration purposes let’s say the reverb amp, #1, and then out of its #2 into the input of the tweed? Or are you splitting them from a pedal?

Maguchi likes this.
  20. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Ampeg Diamond Blue J-12T.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.