If you had a Les Paul...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cactusrob, Jul 6, 2017.

1. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Wow!!! I love my LP. To me.. DSCN1856.JPG it's all guitar..

Tele56 and hrstrat57 like this.
  2. Merkury

Merkury TDPRI Member

that barbecue / roasted tele....yummy....

puddin likes this.
  3. Merkury

Merkury TDPRI Member

it is a very round thing with many big knobs, a weird 3-way switch, strings that bend like spaghetti .... too much rounded for me.....looks like a woman with a big, big, big butt ! Just give me the ole' plank of wood with a guitar neck and I'll be fine thanks :D

cactusrob likes this.
  4. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

5. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I could argue the Tele is not a guitar, but just a boat paddle made from a plank and an ugly neck and a pickguard/control layout that seems like Leo got bored and gave up.

Nevermind how great they sound or the fact I finally got to love their feel, I still think Leo didn't get the Tele right until the 72 Deluxe, Custom, and the Thinline. An LP, however, is clearly a guitar - just hold it side by side to any old jazz hollow body or dreadnaught acoustic and the relationship is obvious!

So, OP, I think it you can't bond with your LP, sell it and get a nice 72 Custom. Tele sounds at the bridge, nice bucker in the neck, and huge tonal versatility. Can't go wrong.

Merkury and cactusrob like this.
  6. Merkury

Merkury TDPRI Member

haha, maybe it's exactly like you said, it was meant to be just a prototype.... but then he realized it actually worked ! I still have to try the 72 btw. gotta check it out.

7. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

It probably comes from the LP being my only guitar for 15 years. I'm just really comfortable with that layout, so the 72's are a perfect match. But I really do think Fender knocked it out of the park with those. They may not be for everyone, but they sure do work for me!

cactusrob likes this.
  8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Post a trade offer on CL

I've traded high end guitars twice on CL a 73 Les Paul Deluxe for a 335 and recently my AVRI Fullerton 62 Strat for a AVRI blackguard Tele

Both trades were flawless with great karma and both trade partners were local pro players.

puddin and cactusrob like this.
  9. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Do you play this guitar or is it a Case Queen?

My American Elite it fantastic. The Neck is an absolute dream to play. I don't care for how the binding feels on my forearm, but if you like the Paul, then it shouldn't be a problem. The BSB would be a good choice if you want something close to the honey burst.

10. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Hey, thanks for the input. Since this original post , I got a different amp and the Les Paul came to life so I have decided to keep it. Before that, sadly, it did spend much of its time in the case but that situation has improved.

mnutz likes this.
  11. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I agree. The new Elite has much to offer. It's a fantastic instrument.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aside from the fact that my Elite has a rosewood fretboard? That looks just like my Elite - very pretty guitar.

The neck on my Elite is better than any neck I've played on any other guitar - bar none. The compound radius neck profile, and compound radius fretboard really work and feel good. I traded my old Epi Les Paul Prophecy even up for my FSR Mexi Tele - I've got a humbucker in my Frankenstrat, and my P90 SG does all the Angus stuff for me. I might like another humbucker guitar, but, I actually think my Teles are more tonally versatile - especially if ya throw a Wampler Plexi Deluxe behind 'em.

Since it sounds like you've decided to keep your LP - ( and I would too - that's a right nice guitar that you'd have a hard time replacing) and still want a Tele? Get an inexpensive MIM Tele w/the neck you want for $350-450 used - and spend the $$ to swap pups if you want different tone.

joebloggs13 likes this.
  13. Georgia twang

Georgia twang TDPRI Member

I'm glad you found an amp that brought your lp to life. That aged cherry burst tele looks just like mine

14. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Ditto - I wouldn't either... you can get an American Tele for next to nothing and you can sell the LP and have a whack of cash left over. Then... you can buy a nice Fender tube amp.

15. Snakum

Snakum TDPRI Member

I own two LPs and will never get rid of them. They're weight relieved Tribute Ts with 490s and they are spanky in a way most Pauls today aren't. More like the old 50s and 60s.

I'd just add a tele to the stable.

16. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have Teles and Lesters and don't plan to get rid of either. Another vote for keep both.

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Me personally - $1000 US seems to be my personal limit on an electric guitar. After that it seems to me like you're paying for fancy wood, name brand, and collectability.
    If you can get 2k from selling that Gibson you'll get a used but good condition USA G&L tele type plus whatever you want - a PRS S2 Singlecut for your LP needs, a great acoustic, a nice tube amp. I can't see any reason in 2017 to pay 2 grand for a telecaster.

18. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

It's all a matter of perspective, and tone. A Tele is an incredibly versatile guitar....but it's not a Les Paul. I love both. If you can afford it, keep the Les Paul. Based on your description, it sounds like a real beauty. You might regret it, even though you would get a fantastic Tele with a trade. I can't tell you how many posts I have read on here of people that have sold/traded something only to regret it later on. Food for thought. ;)

19. CQLove

CQLove Tele-Meister

You do what is best for you. But I can tell you from experience that you will miss the Les Paul. (unless you absolutely hate it) I will never sell another guitar because I have always regretted it. Same with amps! My advice is to save up and buy it the right way! Good luck.

cactusrob likes this.
  20. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Guitar players should (aspire to) own...in no particular order:

- Stratocaster
    - Telecaster
    - Les Paul
    - Martin acoustic

Others might add:

- SG
    - a PRS (people are starting to realized that we are in their Golden Age)
    - something with P90s

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.