1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you had 400 dollars to burn, which thing would you buy next if you had these things:

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Nov 23, 2020.

1. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

The first thing I would do is get rid of all the stuff I didn't like. It just ends up getting in the way. The bullet strat, the starcaster, the laney for starters - sell them and use the money to get stuff you actually do want and will use (ok, just read where the laney isn't yours. Get rid of one of the rumbles then. If you're just recording you can probably dump the 100).

If you've got a workable tele, you might want to add a guitar with humbuckers. You can easily get some good 2 HB guitars in your price range. Epiphone would be my first thought. If you want a strat, I'd start with something in the Classic Vibe arena. They are really good values. Then you can take it from there and decide if you want a new amp or not. Definitely try to consolidate your gear, though. You'll have a lot more options if you thin the herd of the dead weight.

2. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Mexi std Strat, trade those Squier strats for some killer pickups and electronics for it. It will have a big rout for a bucker, you'll just need a guard. Or a Duncan lil 59!

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As expected, some great suggestions above. I'll add mine:

Trade/sell your three guitars (a,b and c) for a MIM tele. This gets you back to where you were in the 90s. GC would be a good place to do this quicker.

Sell the Laney and with the balance leftover of the $400, get an Epi 335 to add a new adventure.

truckerrik likes this.
  4. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

We bought my Daughter one for her birthday this year and she played it for about a month and stopped. I'm thinking at some point it will get played me... but I'm not sure how she will feel about it so I haven't really jumped on that wagon yet.

5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Yeah, lots of good advice here. It's helping me make decisions.....

Just to add some info about how I feel about the whole thing:

I love the way the tele feels to play and sounds and I just feel at home on a Tele, however in my older age and post contracting lyme disease and losing weight state I find the slab body a bit fatiguing. Like I was playing it for about 15 minutes last night and my right shoulder starts to hurt. The body jabbing my ribs isn't as annoying if I'm sitting up but when I'm reclined on my couch and playing it's annoying. LOL.

A strat doesn't do either of those things. But I literally have so much of a harder time finding sounds I like in comparison. But I'm not sure I'd feel the same way about the sounds of better quality strats. I guess I need to go play some. I don't like 2 and 4 at all and would never use them. But my buddy just bought a mexican a month or so ago and when I went to check it out I could feel the difference between my starcaster and squier and it was a lot better. I don't ALWAYS feel that when I play some at Music go round but many times they are more squiers.... I think I've played a few mexicans..

Since I've had the Tele I've wanted really badly to take a belt sander to it but I've held off for this very fact that I'm not sure it will stay.... But that does pose part of the problem if I get a standard or or player Tele, they don't have the cut.

Now, I know there are models that do like Custom, which would be niiiiiiiiice, but for me if I'm getting a tele I almost for sure want the lipstick neck pup. I think my ultimate tele would be a lipstick neck and humbucker bridge with a belly cut and arm relief. Which I'm not sure is made........

I forgot to add a Jaguar HH, which could be a possibility too. At least those have a more comfy body IMHO.

I think I gotta do like the one gentelman said and start going to more stores and playing more.... And then if it's a place that will take trades if I find something I have to have I could trade the two squiers. I would imagine any electric will get me close tone wise to what I want to hear on a song. Sometimes humbuckers sound too dark to me though for clean guitar.

I suppose I'm leaning that way over an amp... I sometimes think I can get sounds I want even out of just my rumble 40. And the Vox I like too but I forgot to say, that one at times it snapple crackles and pops. But it doesn't ever seem to do it long enough to stop me from using it. LOL.

6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Marshall Origin 20 head $399.

FortyEight likes this.
  7. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

I would buy a case of wine and drink it until my guitar playing started sounding good to me.

8. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

On second thought, I would buy a Marshall DSL1CR for $349 and a $50 bottle of wine.

9. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

pretty much this. In a nutshell. Personally I don’t think you can get to know an instrument properly unless you use it virtually exclusively. Get to know ONE instrument inside out, and make that one your own best tone.

ofc, picking one - well that’s where the fun starts!

10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you really like the shape of a Strat it's easy enough to get one in just about any pickup configuration or to mod it to match your preference: HH, HSH, SSS, SSH. Strats are perhaps the most ubiquitous electric guitar available on the used market so it shouldn't be hard to find one MIM at a good price.

driver8 and FortyEight like this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

surely you could just crack the laney open and flip the tabs around? it's probably not soldered.

patrickhowell and FortyEight like this.
  12. phart

phart TDPRI Member

This will be heretical on this forum, and there is no reason on earth you should take my advice, but here goes anyway:

1. Take all the crap you have that you don't love, put it in a pile and light it on fire (or, sell it quick).
    2. That guitar you love? Keep it and love the one you're with. Don't break up your happy home for an MIM that won't necessarily be any better just because it says "Fender" on the headstock
    3. Here's the key - since you're recording - forget amps/guitars/pedals, get an iRig and explore the world of modeling apps for your phone/ipad. If you have an iPhone, you probably already have Garage Band in your pocket, which has a ton of amp and effects models built in. For a small investment you can get Amplitude or something similar with tons of add-ons to fit your style. Then you're not waking the neighbors' baby, fiddling with mic placements, 9V battery babysitting, etc. etc. and you have an insane world of TONES at your literal fingertips.
    4. Then, just grip it and rip it, baby.

Cyberi4n and telestratosonic like this.
  13. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Sell the Bullet and the Starcaster after you reassemble it, then if you still want the strat sound but also want the tele sound get a MIM Nashville Tele and re-wire the 4x12 your self. Its probably not that hard if you know how to wire a stereo. Although I did read somewhere that someone caught their house on fire with a tube amp.

14. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had the iRig and the Amplitude amps on my iPhone for years. They work great. All I needed was a good speaker. I spent a good chunk of my working life in work camps and motels. All I had to bring with me was a guitar and the iRig. No need to haul around an amplifier.
    Instead of using an amplifier when recording, I just use the amp models that come with Garageband. Works for me and it's so easy to use for making demos.

phart likes this.
  15. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Yamaha THR10

gregulator450 likes this.
  16. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I got a Bullet Strat from the pawnshop for 80 bucks, but I spent another 220 bucks upgrading it with Steel Block Trem from GFS, Tusq nut, switching the tone pots to the bridge and middle pickups and then changing the pickups(Cavalier Fat Lion for the bridge-Allparts Gold Foil for the middle-real spec Firebird for neck with volume only). Love the way this guitar sounds and plays. upload_2020-11-24_16-3-46.jpeg

ce24 and FortyEight like this.
  17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

As many neglected abused and forlorn stringed instruments as i could lay my mitts on...poor things...they all need lovin....then devote time to making them the best they can be

FortyEight likes this.
  18. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

You could always whittle you up a custom. Screenshot_2020-11-24-14-18-12-1.png this thing looks pretty cool.

mojek, patrickhowell, Zepfan and 4 others like this.
  19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Yeah, that's kind of my concern. Even if I get a Mexican strat or tele I have a feeling I would want things to be different about it. So then the dilemma is mod the squiers or look for a mexican. I do think there is some truth in the fact that the mexicans are probably better built guitars. Maybe??? And also I think the electronics are probably better off the bat.

Zepfan, that thing is beautiful!!!! I really like that. I just did a small modification to mine. I installed a black pickguard. 3 ply fender. I had to drill little holes for the pots. The chinese pots had a little tab that indexes them and keeps them from spinning I guess. The fender pickguard didn't have those holes. But it worked out fine. Not ALL the holes lined up so I actually left the screws out of the places it didn't. I didn't want to modify it yet cuz I figured if I sell it I can put it back to completely stock. It looks better to me though.

I think I'd like it better if I could wire in the tone knob to the bridge pup but I've yet to tackle that mod. I don't have a solder gun. I have a friend that has one though. I'm not sure what gauge wire to use.

I also want to try either dampening the springs with something or blocking the trem. I have it decked and like it better. But I think the springs MAY give some of the tinny sound that I don't like. Maybe??? It sure seems to when playing unplugged.

Wulf likes this.
  20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I would get one decent amp first of all. For an amp, with a limited budget and a desire for a variety of sounds, I'd have to recommend the Katana 100. It really does sound better than the 50 version. I see those for sale for around $200 used around here all the time. They will play nice quiet, loud enough to gig, they have lots of good effects which you can tweak using the computer software - it works great for home recording use if you don't mind plugging your amp into the computer.
    Other options might include a Vox AC15 or AC10 or a Fender Blues Jr. if you want simplicity and one good sound as opposed to a wide variety of sounds.

If you want a guitar I would focus on playability and overall style more than tone - you really don't need a ton of guitars to be able to make all the sounds you want, just one good one if budget is tight. Have a look at the PRS SE Series if you are into humbuckers or P90s, or just hit up pawn shops and used guitar stores and start playing stuff. Don't rely too much on what internet forums tell you - get out there, play some stuff, and see what works best for you.

Here's the Katana Artist (top-grade version, with a better speaker) for 350 https://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/d/lake-hiawatha-boss-katana-artist-100-amp/7235061143.html
    PRS for $300: https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/msg/d/point-pleasant-beach-prs-se-22-electric/7226382023.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.