If you had $1500 to spend in a new amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by justin.ramsey, May 4, 2014.

1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I would go to my amp tech ( A well known one in these parts ) and have him build me one to my exact specs. I don't need to need to worry about resale BECAUSE IT WILL BE EXACTLY WHAT I WANT! Which I just did 3 months ago for a total cost of $800.00 (based on a tweed deluxe). He's doing another one for me right now off a AO 35 amp I rescued.
    So the money stays locally and I know exactly what's in my amp and if I want to tweek it he knows what to do since he built it.

2. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

If you want a Kit...

Go to valvestorm.

they have complete Real High Quality Kits and Heyboer transformers.

They sell Metro parts

The have a check list for severl different Marshalls and supply all of the parts.

Go with the Heyboer transformers and chokes.

That's what Metro uses and it seems is a lot of what sets his amps apart from Wallace and Geronimo.

I have a Metro GMP45. I just got it Saturday and after spending 10 hours playing it it is the best sounding amp Ive ever owned and the best JTM45 copy Ive ever played.

It has become my #1 amp.... 10 minutes after I started playing with it I knew this was my new #1.

But for a Kit check out Valvestorm

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  3. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

My first choice would be a SFDR, with some left over to have it checked out and serviced, but since you said it has to be new, I'd probably opt for something from Allen, even though it would probably stretch the $1,500 a bit. An Accomplice or a Sweet Spot.
    Or maybe a Dr. Z. The Ghia is a very nice amp.
    Not a huge Mesa fan, but I've heard Lonestar Specials that I've liked very much too. Not sure what they go for...

4. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I don't care what Momma don't (al)'low, I'm gonna pick my banjo anyhow... :D

Three used ones for me. I can buy an SF Twin, a Sovtek head and another Carvin for $1500 likely with change left over.

All pre- reclic-ed with depreciation built in. That means if I want my $1500 back I can get it back out.

Different assortment next week. It's like fishin'. :D

6. BlackAmpeg

BlackAmpeg Tele-Holic

If I had $1500 to spend, and HAD to buy new, I would get an AC30C2.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With $1500 it would be a tough call, partly because I don't need any new amps.
    But I don't currently have a Tweed Deluxe or a Vox, so if forced to buy an other amp that's where I'd look.
    And there's no reason I know of to spend that kind of money and get a PCB amp with board mounted sockets and pots to break in a few years.
    Unless I wanted a three or four channel amp, not much choice there.
    Something hand wired is a no brainer.

Interesting to see in the handwired amp market there's a pretty wide range of prices for very similar product.
    Like the Rockitt vs Metro, and even vs PCB Marshall RI.
    Like a Marshall 1974 handwired is $2500, but from some of the small builder like Lil Dawg you can get pretty much the same amp built for you for less than half the $$.
    How can this be?

I'd have to do some research, but I suspect if I was a savvy buyer I could get a Deluxe clone and an AC15 clone built for somewhere near $1500.

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

If I had $1500 for an amp but wasn't allowed to buy used - I would put it in the bank until the rules changed....:p The same amp on the used market would be less than a "G" note.

9. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

Not sure if the OP was looking for recommendations for him or just what each of us would do individually...

... but for me, I'd do the 59 Bassman Ltd again. Just the right volume and versatility, simply great tone, no frills, and has to be one of the lightest 410's ever.

If I already had the Bassman, I'd consider a Twin Reverb, or maybe go off Fender for a Dr Z or Two-Rock for something new, although $1500 would be tough for either of those.

10. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Last year, on a budget of $1500, I ended up with a new AC30C2 and a used AC30C2 in red with candy (footswitch and matching red cover).

11. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I sold my motorcycle a year or two ago and decided I'd set aside $1500 for an amp. I got a Frenzel Super Vibroverb:

http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page40.php

And had thecabguy.com build me a 1x15 cabinet to go with it, and got a nice hemp coned 15" speaker for it from PMR (he sells a lot of stuff on ebay, does great work). I think I came within about 5 bucks of my $1500 target.

12. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

So many amps, so little time... Hard to say but at this point in my amp-buying [strike] sickness[/strike] hobby I would probably look for something in the Marshall vein like

-Marshall 2061x
    -Suhr Badger 18
    -go for a custom build like a 2061x modded w/ master volume, or a low-power take on a JCM800.

I would also consider a Carr Raleigh, and would love to spend some time trying out Dr. Z amps, although there are so many I wouldn't know which one to pick first, much less which ones actually can be bought for $1500.

13. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The blended channels harken back to Winfield Amps' original 18 and 30 watt amps dating back a dozen years or so. Winfield was a frequent AX84 contributor at the time so everyone got a peek at the original design.

15. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

With the restriction of 'must be new', +1 with codamedia for my purposes. None builds an amp for $1500 that meets my criteria. The used amps that I have that do what I want would cost at least twice that much to build....because noone is building anything like them at this time...or has built anything like them at any time up to this point except the original builder of these amps. Even if they did, walking away from money as I go out of the door with my 'new purchase' eats at my mind...and pocketbook.
    Quality built used beats a new amp anyday of the week ime. Why? BEcause, as time marches on, the build quality goes down for major manufacturers. Yes, functions increase; but in order to keep prices down for the mass market, the build quality must be compromised. The trade off in lack of/difference in construction quality doesn't make it happen for me. So, to get an amp that has the functions and build quality I want....one is at a loss because noone is building it.

17. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

You can get in to this ballpark for less. The weber deluxe kits come with 25 watt transformers. Just swap out a few resistors to raise the preamp plate volts and you're basically there for way less money. If you want treble bass and presence you'll have to make a few more tweaks.

18. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

How does the Alessandro Working Dog fail; quality, functions, or both?

19. jsal362

jsal362 Tele-Holic

My mood changes weekly. I had been wanting an Orange head and cab, but then last week I got to play with a new Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36, and that thing was just pure glorious fun!

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OUCH!!
    I can identify with not wanting to buy anything that's below "great", but...
    You obviously know what you're talking about, and have fairly expensive needs.
    I can't help wondering what amps are so unique and special that no-one is building anything like them any more, yet sell for only $3000 (or maybe by "can be built for" you mean parts to build them yourself).
    Can't be Trainwreck or Dumble, and not likely vintage Plexi either.

My impression is that there isn't much that is really good that isn't being cloned- as in somebody's building them.
    I guess I think of the numerous small builders as "building them" if they are capable and willing to build anything a buyer wants as long as there is a schematic available.
    If I'm just being a PITA with semantics, I'm just curious about what (presumably pretty stupendous) reasonable sized amp costs $3000 to build, because I'm not currently gassing for a new amp and might like some inspiration.
    I would really like to have a good Trainwreck clone, but that's about all I can think of besides a nice AC15 clone, which is pretty cheap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.