if you ever wanted to hike the Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by televillian, Jan 20, 2020.

1. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Amazing Video

2. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I spent a month flying in and out of there shooting a video. Every morning, screaming at tree top level in a helicopter to the rim, then either nose down ...

or on special days, bank over -invert- then nose down ...

into that hell hole.

or was it the crazed former 'Nam pilot who was the hell hole...I can't ever remember.

all I knew for certain was to never ever eat breakfast before getting into that thing. Until the last day of the shoot. When I had to ride the donkey train up with our equipment.

but I left the pilot an old AC/DC t-shirt to clean the bubble with.

gwjensen likes this.
  3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Superb. I think I threw up a little in the first 30 but I was good after that.

rolandson likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Nice, but, I am not good with that heights thing.

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Crossed it off my bucket list

6. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

Tried hiking down a bit with the family last April. It was a very windy day. Less than a mile down the Mrs and I (both usually avid hikers) were so terrified of being blown off the wall that we scurried back up. I don't think my boys were as disappointed as they pretended to be. We spent the rest of the day walking the rim trails - and leaning far away from that massive hole. Unbelievably beautiful, and should be on everyone's bucket list, but I just couldn't get my brain to process the scale of it or quiet the discomfort of the fright/flight instinct.

7. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My son, 26, and my oldest brother, 74, hiked rim to rim last summer. It was the 2nd time for my brother. My son said it was a life-changing experience. If you choose to go, be very well prepared.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  8. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I grew up in Tucson, went to summer camp a couple of times in Prescott, and hiked the Canyon three times and Havasupai twice. I was a kid, I didn't fully appreciate it, I was pretty exhausted. Hiking down was worse than hiking up. Hiking up with a heavy pack was a workout, hiking down with a heavy pack destroys your joints... Getting to the bottom of Havasupai was the most amazing part of that trip, camping down there and swimming in those limestone pools - one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Getting to the bottom of the Grand Canyon is a total anti-climax - you can't SEE anything from Phantom Ranch. It's like being in damn near any other ravine in Arizona but there's a big river down there. The hike is gorgeous from the top to about 3/4 of the way down, but the bottom is nothing special... In and out of the South Rim on each of the trails, but never did rim to rim. Quite sure I won't at this point. The north rim is it's own kind of beautiful, but the views that literally can knock you over are from the south - that's why all the tourists go there...

-Ray

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  9. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Read The Man Who Walked Through Time by Colin Fletcher. It is the story of the first man to through-hike the Park. It's a respectful look at the canyon.

Bob

clayville and rgbedard like this.
  10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My mother did the mule ride back in the 90s. She was in her mid 70s then. She really enjoyed it.

We did the steam train from Williams to the Canyon and back. Touristy views...but fun.

11. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

My girlfriend an I went there over Christmas. We were going to hike it Christmas Day but it snowed too bad. We did hit Sedona though, absolutely beautiful.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  12. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

My older son and I backpacked across the grand canyon in 2008, we went down the North rim and came up the South Rim 2 days later. It was hot, and epic.

This upcoming May I'll be hiking rim to rim in one day to help raise money for cystic fibrosis research, a charity event. We'll be going down the South Rim at 5am and hopefully coming up the North Rim that same day before sunset. Should be fun...

Wallo Tweed, gwjensen and raysachs like this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

That's a hell of an undertaking! Good cause, good luck!

Reminds me of mountain biking the White Rim trail up near Moab. Tourists like me (even pretty experienced riders) do it in 3-4 days and try to make it fun. A rite of passage among a lot of local Moab hardcores is to do it in one day. I did a week of riding from Telluride to Moab, rested for a day, and then did the White Rim in three days. Can't say I've ever felt more wasted in my life than after that, and I was in SHAPE in those days too. That was about 16 or so years ago.

-Ray

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.