If You Drop Your Cell Phone While Driving

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Also, the guy who reported it on Patch contacted me on Facebook to ask to use the photos which I had posted on our community page. I did not mention in my post there what I had heard in regards to the cause. He seems to have just read the posts from the neighborhood rubber-neckers (like me :p )and cobbled the report together.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's been illegal to use a cell phone while driving here for decades. It wasn't as dangerous years ago until annoying touch screens took over.

The guy is a fool two times, once for using the phone while driving causing the crash and a second time for forgetting to use the dog running in front of the vehicle or temporary blackout excuse.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    kafka, beagle, Tonetele and 1 other person like this.
  3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

There's no such thing as driving through Nashville at rush hour. There's only sitting forever in stalled traffic in Nashville at rush hour.

Can a driver safely make a phone call then? Shoot, man, a driver can safely stop and take a shower and still have time for a nap!

4. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

So now to hone your acoustic guitar skills?

tery likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If your dashboard is built for it, new car, and as long as you don't touch the 'phone Yes. The conditions will be really strict, it varies from state to state but it's heading to a " hands on the wheel" situation here.
    I guess they'll have to invent a voice activated 'phone for such cars. Welcome to the 21st. Century Folks!
    My dear old Dad was even remonstrated on holidays for drinking from a cola can back in the 80s.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

By law here, only if the car is parked and the engine turned off, unless it is a call to the emergency services and it would not be safe to stop. I wonder if that would cover phoning the police to report a stupid man using his phone whilst driving?

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

You shouldn't be holding your cell phone while you're driving.

howardlo likes this.
  8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Apparently he wasn’t holding it, it was on the floor.
    Maybe he was also eating a sammich as he was texting
    I like the fact that my car will read incoming texts.
    Then I can decide if I have to stop to reply or ignore

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Delivery van running a Maps program to find a weird address?

A delivery van is unlikely to have a bluetooth phone system to handle calls. Expect that kind of vehicle has no switches on the door to make the windows go up and down -- the driver muse use one of those steam-punk-type crank thingies.

One of the stories the state cop teaching my oldest's drivers training course said at the kids & parents meeting that one of the kids several years ago was good about the no phone rule. He'd left for some school activity shortly after getting his permit. His father noticed his son had forgotten his homework/book/etc just after he left so he called his son. Son see's it's his father and answers the phone, drops the phone, tries to pick it up, and his father hears the accident. Son killed.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  10. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

In MD it's illegal to text or talk on a hand-held cell phone while you're driving. There are just too many pointless accidents because of this. Just get a dash mount holder if you're going to take calls.

11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

You can't drop what you're not holding.

So I think Omaha meant that the driver had been holding it before dropping it. Otherwise, how could the driver have dropped it?

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Laws won't do any good in this case, as people are too entitled these days to think that rules apply to them. Cranking up the penalties big time would probably be more effective.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  13. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

So you're saying that people should be held accountable for their actions?

What kind of monster are you?:eek:

Stringbanger, Boubou and Frodebro like this.
  14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I can't drop my phone when it's in my pocket.

Flakey likes this.
  15. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

There is no phone, phone call, or text worth your life! Duh! People just need to STOP the dumb sh_t and put their stupid phones away when they're driving a vehicle. Period. I've seen so many people lose their lives, in the most horrific ways imaginable, due to this sort of thing. I'm on the road quite a bit, and I've seen accidents caused by the driver texting, talking, or otherwise distracted like dropping their stupid phone, that look like something out of a horror film. The worst part about it is that they usually not only kill themselves, but they severely injure or kill other people too! It's totally stupid - these @#%#@%@#$!$ phones, and they should all be banned IMO. If they banned them all today, I'd throw mine in the trash and go back to old school... no sweat ;) Don't really need the thing, so... ok by me!

Stringbanger likes this.
  16. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

OP said: If You Drop Your Cell Phone While Driving
    I say your an idiot and a danger for using a hand held phone while driving in the first place.

Telekarster likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I never use my phone while driving unless it's connected hands-free (it's illegal here anyways). That way I can continue to eat fast food and tune the terrestrial radio, all while steering with my knees.

I'm kidding. Really.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So if you're in one of those new hybrids that shut themselves off when stopped, and you're stopped in rush hour gridlock, it's legal to make calls?

While being stupid is banned?
    (You can't fix stupid)

Works for me!

19. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

New law in Minnesota, started last month.

Telekarster likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So it seems drivers have a lot to do other than driving while they're driving, including of course drinking hot coffee on the way to work and cold beer on the way home. One cannot underestimate the number of trades people who buy the first six pack at the beginning of the commute home.

Some years ago a study found that eating and drinking was the most dangerous driver activity that led to crashes, but then texting (and posting on FB or checking status and posts) took the lead in stupid.

I'm pretty sure eating a sammitch with coffee is more dangerous than talking on the phone while driving, especially considering the spilling hot coffee in the crotch factor.

But dining and driving is still legal, as well as cranking windows, surfing the radio stations, and even childcare when the kids in the back seat get unruly or need a new distraction.

I was hit by a big Mercedes driven by a Mom who literally had her head, arm and shoulder in the back seat reprimanding her little kid.

What we have is more and more laws that try to fix stupid.
    Texting while driving is stupid.
    Taking a phone call is no more dangerous that cranking the window down or looking for a new radio station.
    And a phone call is less dangerous than eating breakfast while driving.
    But think of the business all the fast food places would lose of dining and driving was illegal...

Maybe in addition to those dash mounted cell phone holders we need dash mounted egg mcmuffin holders and even coffee camelbacks.
    That would surely fix stupid!
    Maybe in addition to nanny cams we need nanny bots built in to the back seat between the dual TV screens and sound systems.

Or how about something like the death proof car cage where the driver is totally isolated from everything else in the car including their phone. Maybe a bot can screen their calls and/or allow emergency calls through if they have jobs like cop/ fire fighter/ emt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.