If You Drop Your Cell Phone While Driving

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Hard to say if he was speeding, but the hill he was coming down is treacherous enough without rummaging around for your phone.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't text while driving but do take a phone call now and then.
    Not for the purpose of amusing myself, usually involving a time sensitive issue.
    Unfortunately all the blue tooth devices I've bought didn't have enough volume for my hearing loss, but maybe newer units are louder.

In some states it's also illegal to drink coffee or eat anything while driving.
    Next to texting it seems stats show eating and drinking is one of the most dangerous driving practices, above talking on the phone.

Not sure if now it's illegal to talk on a hand held phone but fine to eat your egg mcmuffin and drink your coffee.
    I suppose the fact that breakfast only happens in rush hour traffic while OCD texting and net surfing happens all day and night makes two handed dining statistically less dangerous?

Not suggesting chatting all the time while driving is fine, but many of us need to take a call on the road now and then, while not driving a quiet luxy late model blue tooth equipped vehicle.
    So responsible drivers pay for what irresponsible drivers will likely keep doing.

Texting can be done with the phone below the sight line, and those obsessed with keeping up will probably keep it up.

Feel free to flame me if this sounds wrong?

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

White Van Man..

Dangerous anywhere

Bones likes this.
  4. Bones

5 and a half hours after the crash, they have turned the power off and are planting a new pole. Lot of work for one dummy with a cell phone.

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Worse still, years ago , some d..head threw his lit cigarette out the window. It landed right in my crotch

No way would i pay for damages if things got worse. Volkswagen are leading the world by not even installing cigarette ashtrays. Filthy disgusting killing things. No wonder health insurance is high, even a non-smoker like me, is subsidizing all those d...heads who do smoke.

Suck on that all you smokers and get wise!!!!

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

P.S. Even having a phone on is going to lead to a $1,000 fine here in Oz.

Stringbanger and tery like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In Maine the new law prohibits the driver even touching the phone, I guess so they can't claim they weren't actually using it.

Are you saying you may get a law banning bringing a phone into a motor vehicle?
    Interesting.

I think we have plenty of laws that allow us to own stuff but don't allow us to transport it in a motor vehicle, but generally dangerous stuff like assault rifles and explosives or toxic chemicals.

I suppose if nobody is allowed to have a cell phone in a motor vehicle it will increase public transportation use.
    Or cell phone addicts would own multiple phones and keep one at work etc.

Eh?

8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I think I mentioned this once before. A couple of years ago I was sitting first in line at the intersection of two busy streets at rush hour time. The lights changed to allow the left turn lane on the street crossing from my right to proceed. I noticed in the first three cars to turn in front of me that the drivers were on their phones, so I payed attention and counted. 13 cars made the turn before the light changed. 11 drivers were on their phone. Stupid not only can't be fixed, it is spreading like a pandemic pathogen.

I used to use a headset to answer calls when driving, I don't even do that anymore. If someone wants to call me when I'm driving, they're going to have to wait for a (maybe) call back when I reach my destination.

As far as texting is concerned, I have never initiated a text chain, and I would bet the number of incoming texts I have responded too since I have had a mobile phone can be counted on my fingers with some left over.

The "always available" culture is something I have fought very hard to not buy into. So far I have succeeded.

Stringbanger and EsquireBoy like this.
  9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Amateur.

Chunkocaster and tery like this.
  10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'd like to take this opportunity to address a related concern. Why, oh why, do drivers in the movies turn their heads when talking to the passengers. I never, ever take my eyes of the road for more than a quick glance. I can't imagine being in a moving vehicle and not seeing where you're going. Anything can happen (just like in the movies?)

In real life, I knew a guy who could not keep his eyes on the road. He's dead now.

telemnemonics and tery like this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not me. Driving or not, I never make eye contact.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

In 2016, there were 109,000 car crashes in Texas related to "distacted driving". It is a problem.

Like a lot of things, there's an app for that. I haven't tried, but I don't need it. I'm not connected to the developers/owners, etc., it's called safe 2 save. The way it works is that you earn points that are redeemable for stuff for the length of time that you don't touch your phone while the car is in motion. You can redeem the points at participating retailers, seems like it's "casual food" like Papa Johns and Chick-Fil-A, etc.

It also seems like it might be one more distraction, but I guess the proof will be in results. Maybe phone addicts would find it useful.

https://safe2save.org/

13. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

OK! I hardly would consider our Ford Focus and Ford Ecosport vehicles as luxury vehicles (or even high cost cars). Both have Bluetooth. Even my youngest son's older Toyota Camry has it.

Texting is far worse than phone calls while driving. You have to take your eyes off the road for that. Pull off the road if a text is that important that it can't wait.

14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I’m coming back from this « always available » culture: it’s a slavery I cannot stand anymore. When my old smartphone dies I’ll replace it with the cheapest phone I can find and with absolutely no internet connexion. Internet is a great thing, but should definitely not be an always on thing in my pocket...

howardlo likes this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Same in the UK

tery likes this.
  16. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

And on top of that, in movies, everyone is always having a scotch

Larry F likes this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

It’s like drink driving. Cut the limit to zero and you’ll catch some folks who, unbeknown to themselves, have a smidgeon of alcohol in their daily medication or had a glass of wine eight hours ago. The hardcore drinkers will still sink six pints and hit the road, banned or not.

beagle and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

My phone goes into a holder on the dash

Tonetele likes this.
  19. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

20. Bones

He told the police and tow truck operator that he dropped his phone and tried to get it. Not sure if that means he was on the phone at the time or not. Patch is not the greatest source for detailed reporting, I'm just stating what I was told at the scene. Maybe he spilled bong water in his lap, who knows.

Mike Simpson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.