1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Feb 26, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A funny twist on this topic is my mother has always liked a performance or nice car ever since she could afford one but has also run her life as a near perfect example of well behaved and polite.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Did you take stats? You should not judge most from one or a small sample.

3. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

My sales/estimating job has me driving all over southeastern PA. I log about 100-150 miles per day, and sometimes as high as 200. I’ve been doing this for years. I’d like to think that I am a qualified observer of driving.

In my experience throughout the years, the vehicle make just doesn’t matter. Dipsticks drive anything! Sometimes it seems that there are more nuts on the road now than ever. Cell phones play a big role in this phenomenon.

Returning home yesterday, I was on a 2 lane country PA State route. I noticed the 40ish woman behind me was getting too close for comfort (I despise tailgating). I gave her a “friendly”, medium brake check, and she backed off. She was in an older, small pickup, possibly a Toyota.

I thank my lucky charms that I get a break from the madness. Today is office day, so I only need to worry about the commute home.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

and make sure you enter those roundabouts correctly or the cameras will get you. That was a nice $400 surprise I received 6 months after my trip. And here I was telling everyone how well I drove a van through the hills of Sienna, Chianti, Montepuciano, Assisi... ;)

Nashville-tele-19 likes this.
  5. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Jerks drive all sorts of vehicles, but there is a particular kind of jerk that thinks that having the financial ability to purchase an expensive vehicle automatically makes them a marvellous driver. But mostly it just makes them dangerous...

I choose to drive older vehicles. My current ride (built in 2002) cost me the equivalent of US$3000, 5 years ago. It's the most I've ever paid for a vehicle. Apart from normal servicing it hasn't been in the shop. Friends of mine have lost more money on their (not new) cars than that in depreciation in 1 year.

I had a spin on a mountain road a few months back (plenty of oil/hydraulic fluid spills from big logging trucks...don't get me started...) and 're-arranged' the rear bumper a bit. I fixed it with a crowbar, and some tie-wraps :cool:

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The traffic study @BigDaddyLH cited was of cars stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks, they didn't study tailgating or other driving behaviors, though other studies of drivers were mentioned as well.
    No studies of tailgating or aggressive drivers in the CNN story.
    The other studies suggested that these lumped together owners of luxy cars displayed rude attitudes taking the survey, not in traffic.

Where I am I notice the late model 500+ hp supercars tend to drive too durn slow, I suppose because they feel like speeding ticket bait.
    I stick to 5-10% over the speed limit in my old Volvo wagon but always stop for the crosswalk and generally wait to be let into traffic.
    Summer gets very congested here and when I do try to zip out and maybe upset the guy I "cut off" this durn wagon lights up all four tires at half throttle.

Jacked up pickups with mud tires do get pretty rude at times but really this is not a city highway scene like you report on.
    Most in those jacked up trucks know they can't handle high speed very well and also get their ya-yas out in the mud.

One really annoying trait of cars from certain states is staying in the fast lane on the turnpike.
    If there was a holiday and many are returning home the dimwits get in the third lane and drive the speed limit or 5mph over!
    This forces me to hit the slow lane when a path opens up and hit maybe 85 or faster in a 70 to get around those arrogant dummies.
    I used to live in the state where the worst of these drivers register their cars and found that rush hour saw bumper to bumper 87mph streams of cars passing troopers watching the spectacle.
    The habit of settling in the fast lane is odd and seems dim witted, but certainly self righteous in presuming their chosen speed is to be followed by all.

7. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

I live in a small town that skiers from Los Angeles drive through...I’m convinced that not only does LA have their own traffic laws, but they’ve also never seen a crosswalk before...they also drive some pretty nice vehicles...

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My daughter drives a 2007 Fit. Not sure if she gets shade from her colleagues, but she's a doctor too. But not even a year out of residency, so maybe they'll cut her some slack until her med school loans are paid off... :)

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You mean you didn't know that? How could you have not?

telemnemonics and Frodebro like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

By that logic, I’m a prince of a fella’!

11. Big_Ger

Big_Ger Tele-Meister

I ride a bicycle and I can tell you that inconsiderate morons drive every type of vehicle there is. In fact some inconsiderate morons even ride bicycles...

flathd, imwjl, aging_rocker and 2 others like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Let me get this right. Statistics and scientific studies can be bent to conclude whatever they want it to be. Therefore science can be ignored and everyone is just left with their opinion, which is as good as anyone else's. What a world we live in!

13. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Don't need statitistics. (SIC)

The only true sign of a jerk in the vehicle world is a set of shiny testicles hanging from your trailer hitch.

Or maybe a Calvin pissing sticker.

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, distorted statistics driven by an agenda should, at the very least, be recognized for what they are.

TelenTubes likes this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

How does it go? I am evidence-based, you are biased, they have an agenda.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I see what you did there: You took an opinion (stats can be bent) and tried to turn it into science (science is unreliable thus can be ignored)!

17. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

18. BigDaddyLH

Just sensitive to the times.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's probably quite simple :

Nicer the car, busier the person.

Busy people generally value their time more and thus less patient.

I think the headline draws a false conclusion. A more proper measure of a jerk would be how impatient they are divided by how busy they are, rather than only considering the impatience part of the equation.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We ALL have our biases, based on our own experiences and perceptions. The hard part is looking at both sides of everything objectively before forming an opinion. It takes a bit more work, but it generally makes one better informed. Sometimes it will even bring one to a different conclusion than they were expecting at the outset.

elihu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.