If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

We needed 'a new study' to tell us what we already knew?

It's the same people that used to walk around with those bluetooth phone ear pieces.

aging_rocker likes this.
  2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Me gusta mucho. I’ve had every 3 coupe through the E92. Switched over to F87 M2 this go-round. 4 is too big. People might think I was a jerk or something.

My rocker panels were gray too, of course. But I got very tired of trying to maintain them and discovered forever black. Like Frank’s hot sauce, I put that s*** on everything.

And for all you peasants, I’ll be the guy flashing his lights rapidly as I close on you and wonder why you’re not paying attention to the blue flags.

Frodebro likes this.
  3. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

I suspected as much.... :D Does it help that it's passion red and has a manual box?

ale.istotle likes this.
  4. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yes. Paddle shifters and dark grey are the jerkiest. Red and manual? Soon to be sainted.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

stormsedge likes this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm the guy that moves to the right whenever I see somebody coming up behind me (regardless of how fast I'm going), but I'm also the guy that will on occasion slip well into triple digits if I'm passing somebody else. Not in the Toyota (my daily driver is a RAV4), it has never seen north of 70, but it's easy to hit 110+ in the BMW without even realizing you're going that fast.

dkmw likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

They didn't read the memo. Profs are supposed to drive old Volvos.

imwjl and ale.istotle like this.
  8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't read the study but presumably they had to control for age and gender. The insurance rates are an accurate predictor
    of who drives aggressively and inconsiderately, on average. Worst category is men under 30, for sure.

I bet that insurance rates would also reflect the results of the study, if the study is accurate. (It certainly tends to comport with
    our own anecdotal observations....) But I am sure that all the big car insurers have detailed statistics on accident rates, correcting
    for age, gender, etc., etc., and if there's a fancy-car-jerk effect they see it in their numbers. If you drive like a jerk you are going
    to get in more accidents.

This is likely changing somewhat, however. Fancy cars have lots of accident avoidance features now-- lane keeping, automatic
    emergency braking, etc., so people in fancy cars can drive like jerks while still maintaining relatively normal accident rates.
    Even so their rates will tend higher because expensive cars cost more to fix (or total) than cheaper cars.

Some drivers feel they can drive fairly aggressively and actually be safer, because they have 100% of their attention on their driving.
    I agree that this might be safer than an idiot who has taken a Vicodin and is texting instead of paying attention. On the other hand,
    you can't escape the laws of physics including stopping distance vs. speed. The very best drivers are those who drive defensively,
    maintain safe distances and speeds, and are paying 100% attention. Those guys will win the low accident rate and niceness
    contests every time.

9. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Because they actually chose to drive a BMW from all the different ones available and if they can afford to drive a BMW, then they could have afforded something else less twatty.

People driving total wrecks around didn't choose those cars, it's probably all they could afford. So there's no judgement to make.

10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

When you read the first study (or 7 studies) it doesn’t take very far to see that It was primed for misinformation and confirmation bias, as well as being a small sample size. The 7th started with the “fact” that the rich were more prone to unethical behavior, and wanted to know why.

Of course, since most of us on this site are rich compared to the truly poor in the world, we (according to the studies) are all unethical jerks.

11. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

'Some drivers' rely on other road users to avoid having their accidents.

'Some drivers' will hopefully meet an 16 wheeler that couldn't give a rat's arse.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

What's the percentage of JERKS that waste our time with stupid character studies?:p

stormsedge and Frodebro like this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

Asking on Bad Dog?

Zepfan and Harry Styron like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I'm actually most concerned about inertia. A jerk driving a BMW sedan is far less worrisome to me than a jerk in an F-450.

Just sayin'.

Dan German and Frodebro like this.
  15. chris m.

Didn't they come out with a study that says if you own a super expensive electric guitar
    or amp then you're a jerk, especially if it's a blinged-out PRS or a Dumble? :rolleyes::D

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have owned three Mercedes in my life. They were all bargain used cars. So does that mean I’m a cheap jerk? Well, I am, but that’s not the point here.

17. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Aside from an initial education in chemistry, I was also an analyst and statistician, schooled in statistics at taxpayer expense, once they promoted me past the point of actually having much fun and gave me my own office. I had to make excuses to escape and go do my primary job.

I could make the numbers say what I wanted them to say, depending on which equally valid method that I used to derive them.

My boss’s career depended on those numbers. He got very sweaty and hand-wringy about those numbers. That made it very easy to get a day off to go fishing.

“How are the numbers looking?”

“That depends, can I have Friday off to go fishing?”

So I know about truth as filtered through statistical analysis. Heh heh. :D

Whatizitman, Frodebro and stormsedge like this.
  18. chris m.

Yes, inertia and momentum are killers. That's why semi drivers have to drive like little old
    ladies or railroad engineers if they want to have any kind of career. It takes them a LONG time/distance to stop.
    The most dangerous thing is a guy in a big, heavy truck driving it like it's a little, nimble roadster....

19. BigDaddyLH

People from certain professions don't like to cop to it at parties because they get cornered and are asked to give free advice. I'd never do that to a dentist, but then I'm not a PRS owner.

Whatizitman likes this.
  20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I drive a 12 year old Honda Fit. Don't @ me...

I'm still a jerk much of the time, but I'm a pretty nice driver these days. Road rage days are well behind me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.