If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Feb 26, 2020.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Time to go for a drive! :mad:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Beautiful E36.

You do realize you’re a jerk right?

(Get some Forever Black for those rocker panels and air dam, ok?)

Frodebro likes this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You make me think of neighbors. One is a federal judge and beautiful woman inside and out by anyone's standards. Her ivy league husband has a good job. A modest Honda and Toyota work for them.

The university salaries are public. The professor of bio-mechanical engineering is a high earner who drives what has to be a 15+ year old basic Toyota Matrix.

Across the street is dean of students at a major university cool with his old Civic. He's a volunteer firefighter so drives some fancier stuff once in a while.

These are all people who are impressive but never behave like they need to impress anyone.

elihu, Toto'sDad and Whatizitman like this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Way back when I had a 70s VW Rabbit. Typical of german cars, the powerband was such that it kept up great on interstates. Could cruise between 70 and 90 no problem, with plenty of pep for passing and lane changes.

But the horn. Fergawdsakes, the horn. It was the tiniest, wimpiest snivel of a horn I'd ever had the displeasure of trying to alert anyone with. A horn should be "GET OUT THE WAY! NOW!!!". This was "'Excuse me. Just wanted to let you know I'm here. In case anything should happen in the next 5 seconds. But no hurry. Hope I didn't startle you."

It went "meep". Seriously. Yeah, I couldn't really be taken seriously with that. Aggressiveness was a non-starter.

5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There is an old joke:

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
    A porcupine's ****** are on the outside.​

There is a reason stereotypes exist; typically there is enough circumstantial evidence to support them, so they are repeated. Key word being circumstantial. With the BMW analogy, many people want one, cannot afford it, get put off when an owner does not want you to touch his car / cut him off in traffic, and bam - confirmation bias / evidence.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The rockers and dam are actually grey from the factory. I have a set of M3 rockers for it, but they came as a package with the mirrors and I was only interested in replacing the original black mirrors. $100 for the mirrors and rockers, which I jumped on. The suspension is all Turner Motorsports/Billstein, and the exhaust is Turner shorty headers with a Corso catback. There are a bunch of other things done to it as well. It's a lot quicker than a stock 325is, but not quite on the same par with an M3 (outside of the handling, in which it's about even now). Absolutely fun car to drive.

dkmw likes this.
  7. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

See how easily we are prodded to express our hate and resentment. It's child's play, really.

That makes me very sad.

8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Huh. That was not a bad word - like what happens when a thorn goes into your finger. OK, I get it, it could be a slang for other things. Sorry if this offended anyone...

9. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

So.... MY12 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD R-Design
    Jerk or no jerk? :p
    Sucker is the right answer - been nothing but trouble.

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are actually two types of BMW owners, generally speaking. The first, which garners most of the stereotypes, are the people that take them to the dealership to have the headlight bulbs replaced, and the other group is the car guys that love getting under the hood themselves.

11. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

So should the fact that I drive a 15 year old Chrysler mini-van cause me to worry about my jerk-ish quotient? I frequently tell my children that it is a luxury motor car.

P Thought likes this.
  12. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Where I live, "high status vehicles" are shiny new Ford F-450 Crew Cab Super Duty pickup trucks with all the bells and whistles and bed liners clean enough to eat from. And (usually) jerks behind the wheel.

TheDams and ale.istotle like this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Meh...I'm too busy overcompensating with my big pickup truck to think about it :p .

unixfish likes this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I waved at GMCs and Binders (Navistar) when I drove a Kenworth but I was not as nice at that age as I am now.

My kids think I'm nice when I give them money.

15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Pretty much this. The articles (CNN and the one they linked to) basically said contentious jerks drive expensive cars. Both articles read like a lot of envy and confirmation bias in the study. But, neither actually linked to the study so anyone could look at methodology. Just a lot of judgement. There was no definition of which cars would be above their line, and which were below. They observed less than 1900 people (apparently in Finland), and extrapolated their findings to 4+ Billion. I could go on. But, as noted, they got my clicks.

I’ve driven junk and I’ve driven some better stuff. Currently, I drive a Honda Ridgeline. Before that was a Mercedes AMG C43. Before that was a VW Touareg that I drove into the ground. Before that was a Suzuki Sidekick (driven into the ground, sold for $1, and driven into the ground a second time) and before that was a classic Porsche 914.

When I drove the 914, the jerkiest folks in Phoenix had lifted pickup trucks and just had to push me down the road to show they could. We still had cloverleaf intersections back then, and I could usually lose them turning on the cloverleaf. When I had the AMG, the big jerks were kids in WRX STIs that wanted to race. Oh, and pickup drivers that just owned the road.

I get the old joke about German car drivers. “What’s the difference between a cactus and a (insert favorite German brand to pick at here) driver? A cactus has the ****** on the outside.” Nonetheless, I have seen jerkish behavior from cheap and expensive car drivers.

16. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Every time I see someone in a super expensive car or someone that owns a yacht, or a huge house, I'm thankful that they can afford it and provide the demand for those things. Because somewhere there's a guy that helps build luxury cars and boats and nice houses and is happy to have a job.

Additionally, I buy their used trucks after they've driven them for about 2 years at half the price of when it was new, lol. I buy a "new" truck about every 10 years, whether I need to or not.

Couldn't venture to guess whether someone's a jerk by the car they drive, though.

Rockinvet likes this.
  17. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My opinion only - around my area highest tool-bag:Mensch ratio is in BMW's if i have to pick a brand. Also Mercedes owners are chill - zero problems.

However, i get the most trouble on the street from customized cars. Custom exhaust and aftermarket spoilers, dams, bug shields are my number one indicator.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I recently posted about my younger son buying a new Silverado crew cab. Prior to his buying that vehicle, he had driven a Toyota Tundra that he bought new for 18 years! He has a very upscale four thousand square foot home here, a summer home in Oceanside that is two thousand plus square feet, a rental home up the coast aways at Los Osos, and two rental homes in Florida, he is just not overly concerned about the vehicle he drives. He also has around 90 people who report to him at his place of employment as a professional engineer. EVERY one of them was driving a nicer car than he was before the Silverado.

imwjl likes this.
  20. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You were okay until the R-Design...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.