If you drive an expensive car you're probably a jerk, scientists say

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think (IMHO) the gist of it is that one knows the person that is driving the vehicle. Entitlement and narcissism may be a value-judgment, but we all know 'em when we sees 'em...

guitartwonk likes this.
  2. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

My study concurs. The more expensive the car, the more inconsiderate the driver. Just my observations...

Rowdyman likes this.
  3. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes, that is exactly what that means....:lol:

Steerforth likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Phuuuttt. Truck drivers in California open up a whole 'nother world of disregard for others on the road.

bcorig and Shuster like this.
  5. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

For me a lot of the most pushy drivers seem to be those in big, unnecessary, four wheel drives such as Range Rovers, Porsche Cayennes, etc.

They only seem to go off road when the owners park on the pavement rather than walk 50ft, but they happily use their bulk to carve thru traffic.

RoyBGood likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Social Science Research Methods 101, day 1, page 1. In the current study they measured car price (more $ = more expensive) and % of time the driver stopped for a pedestrian (less often = more jerkwad). Seems pretty reasonable to me.

7. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

That’s what I figured. Winter makes me grumpy. :D

Bluesboy3 likes this.
  8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

The coins in my centre console are worth more than my car

I would write that the more you have the less you are, but it might seem political

aging_rocker and Shuster like this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Some jerk in a pickup was speeding in the slow lane this morning, cut me off bad in the middle lane. No signal. Didn't really matter, since he was driving like a jerk, anyway. He jockied his way over the fast lane, cutting another driver off. No signal. Not much room for him, though. So he had to slam on his brakes to keep from rear ending the car in front of him. Sure enough, only the right hand rear light came on. Not sure which is dummer. Driving like a jerk, yet making sure to signal, BUT not knowing it doesn't work? Or just being a jerk.

Yesterday some moron in a big truck was straddling the line between lanes for at least a mile or so on the interstate, and slower than traffic flow. Everyone around was keeping distance, or trying to get around. No signal, so couldn't tell what he was planning on doing. Drunk? No. Face-in-phone.

Sometimes there are just too many levels of stupid to keep track of.

10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Soccer Moms - get out of their way 'cause they're in a hurry !!!

Shuster likes this.
  11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

So the study found that arrogant people in flashy cars are...arrogant.

And not-so-arrogant people in flashy cars are...not so arrogant.

What's next? Millions spent on finding out if dogs can truly love?

Woops.

This is as wastefully self-evident as when people ask me, "So what's so bad about hip hop and every form of heavy metal?"

Stupid is as stupid does, sir.

stantheman and Frodebro like this.
  12. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

What’s the difference between a Harley and a vacuum cleaner??

The position of the dirt bag.

disclaimer. - I ride a Harley.

skitched likes this.
  13. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

In Texas you need to include d bags in ridiculously lifted trucks. Typically with a sticker of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes peeing on a competing manufacturer's logo.

TheDams, Shuster and skitched like this.
  14. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

I do realize that this is more of a jokey thread, so my nerdy realistic outlook on the subject is probably out of place. . . but it's a forum so you can easily scroll past my silly posts.

I'm of the opinion that people can't completely help who/what they are. We are all born with a big ol' bag of genes that determine a large chunk of a person's personality, then the rest is up to the interactions they have with the world around them during life, which is also completely random and for the most part out of a person's control. People that are arrogant and entitled were likely raised by parents with very similar personalities and values.

If we didn't have self centered, winner take all types, then I'd be surprised if society would be at the stage it currently is at, maybe I'm wrong though. I do believe that it is good for society to encourage good and bad behavior, such as looking down on being a tool driver, but realistically some people are just going to be self centered and overly aggresive. How many people do you know that just can't handle being passed on the highway because they take every aspect of life as a personal challenge? If you enjoy sports, want the best lawyer on your side, etc. then you probably appreciate at some level the arrogant, entitled attitude some people have.

Rustbucket and Frodebro like this.
  15. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Studies are statistics in disguise. And you know what they say about statistics.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Perhaps if we stopped categorizing each other, we’d stop finding reasons to hate each other.

Maybe then we’d make some progress in solving the problems that we face as a species.

We’re all in the same canoe. But if everybody paddles in a different direction, we ain’t going anywhere.

elihu, MattyK-USA, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a (formerly) high status German Petrol car. But it’s 16 years old and worth about 2 grand max now. I do about 2k miles a year as I live in London and driving is all but banned.

Every year I spend the “new car” savings on guitars. ;). This year I bought a Broadcaster.

Eventually I’ll buy something properly ecological I suppose.

17. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Hitting too close to home?

TheDams likes this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t see this in my every day experience. Men driving new pickup trucks tend to be very aggressive but they tend to be younger more than older. I don’t see a $50,000 truck as being much different from a flash car. So back to younger or older, there aren’t many older folks driving trucks where I live but there are a good many of them driving expensive cars... safely. The funny thing about statistics is that you can get an answer to most any question. What separates statistics for entertainment purposes from serious statistical analysis, is whether the question asked is frivolous or one seeking insight from the data.

Sorry folks. I’ve spent too many years in engineering and the hard sciences to take the thread title as anything but click bait. BTW, I drive a BMW and haven’t caused an accident in more than 40 years and haven’t been ticketed in 20. My wife drives a Benz and has never caused an accident and has had one red light camera violation that she tried to say was mine. We give pedestrians a break even in NY where we don’t have to.

19. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

That seems like "targeted research," where they start with the desired outcome and work backwards cherry picking data until they have a result.

notmyusualuserid, Frodebro and tery like this.
  20. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol: They are around every corner down here!!

TheDams and TeleTex82 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.