If you don’t have anything nice to say

David C

Tele-Holic
In Behavioral Analysis we call that putting someone on “extinction.” So much of the time people would rather have negative attention for a comment as opposed to no attention at all.

Don’t feed the trolls.
Agreed, they are simply looking for a reaction, even if it's negative. Without that reaction, they don't get a "payoff" or "reward". So simply starve them out by not acknowledging their comments.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I try, I really do. 😁

I think most people are good, I just think many are disconnected in some way. The last couple of years haven't helped that... along with self service checkouts and all that stuff. It's all very depressing to me if I'm honest.

There will be books written on 'the lost art of human interaction' at some point I expect!
The perils of technology...

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I think the past two years of the thing we can't talk about may have isolated people, but people are snapping back, if that's the right metaphor (checks... not it's not). My gauge is talking to people while I'm walking Harley. Not on the street, where's it's busy, but on the trails above my neighbourhood:

View attachment 977253

People are friendly and chatty! I recognise people from other walks and even if we don't know each other, they are always polite. Maybe we should all get dogs!
That gorgeous view certainly could help with the disposition as well.

mark64

TDPRI Member
I haven't read the story or heard details. I do think that the disconnection from personal (face to face) interaction has led to a breakdown in civility. Or at the very least, greatly contributed to it.
I agree. I am a Yankee season ticket holder and was disgusted by what I saw. Fans in the outfield bleacher seats threw trash at the Cleveland outfielders. Whenever I see bad behavior at a ballpark it is always related to alcohol consumption. Its great to have a beer or two and a dog at the game but some people use a game as an excuse to get drunk. The bars across the street from Yankee Stadium are packed for hours before a game. Its a shame that some folks dont know their limit.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I agree. I am a Yankee season ticket holder and was disgusted by what I saw. Fans in the outfield bleacher seats threw trash at the Cleveland outfielders. Whenever I see bad behavior at a ballpark it is always related to alcohol consumption. Its great to have a beer or two and a dog at the game but some people use a game as an excuse to get drunk. The bars across the street from Yankee Stadium are packed for hours before a game. Its a shame that some folks dont know their limit.
Unfortunately, some people also use drunkenness as an excuse to act like a complete a-hole.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Very true. I myself am a happy drunk. I also develop an amazing intellect capable of solving complex world problems when in my cups!

Me, too! I can't never remember my ideas when I'm sober so I try to write them down when I'm drunk. Some wise guy always swaps my notes for some childish drawings and scribbling.

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
Wow what thread! I even learned a few new word that won’t get me banned.
In this world there are many persons who for no other reason tend to try to bring others down to their level. Best thing to do is ignore them. We have too many other thing to worry about than someone trying to pick a fight.
Now I’ve gotta go back and reread parts of this thread to add to my vocabulary.
I’ll need them the next time an argument starts over which oil to use in a air cooled VW.