If you don’t have anything nice to say

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
We have all heard the old saying. I’ve always thought it made pretty good sense.
I understand the nature of Internet trolls in theory. It is a shame that they have infiltrated this forum. Just making casual conversation will earn you a swift insult here these days.
I mention trouble with a young puppy and one of our members insults my wife. I mentioned that I do yoga and one of our members tells me I am a Satanist. On and on. These last couple months here have really made me question why I even login.
These people must be getting something out of it.
Trolls feed off of replies. As hard as it might be sometimes, just ignore them. Their post count is usually in the teens, if that. I can't imagine anyone who's contributed here long enough would last if that's all they did.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I've never seen anything like that, ( not to that extent anyway) I'm sorry that someone thought that that would be an ok thing to say. Unfortunately some people are very sensitive.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We have all heard the old saying. I’ve always thought it made pretty good sense.
I understand the nature of Internet trolls in theory. It is a shame that they have infiltrated this forum. Just making casual conversation will earn you a swift insult here these days.
I mention trouble with a young puppy and one of our members insults my wife. I mentioned that I do yoga and one of our members tells me I am a Satanist. On and on. These last couple months here have really made me question why I even login.
These people must be getting something out of it.
I'll take the bait.

I don't understand these trolls - and I haven't met anyone who convinced me they understood them.

I prefer to see them as just sort of socially clumsy. Perhaps a John Kennedy Toole/ Ignatius O'Reilly sort of person. Sometimes such people are doing the best they can and sometimes they're just really working in a different sort of reality than most of us.

Often I'm the resident wise guy here - I'm bound to have offended some folks. In fact I cannot see how we can avoid hurting someone in some way - anything we do or say. My approach is to try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Even if they don't deserve it, perhaps.

The Internet is just a terrible place to look for comfort. Wear that safety belt, always.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I'll take the bait.

I don't understand these trolls - and I haven't met anyone who convinced me they understood them.

I prefer to see them as just sort of socially clumsy. Perhaps a John Kennedy Toole/ Ignatius O'Reilly sort of person. Sometimes such people are doing the best they can and sometimes they're just really working in a different sort of reality than most of us.

Often I'm the resident wise guy here - I'm bound to have offended some folks. In fact I cannot see how we can avoid hurting someone in some way - anything we do or say. My approach is to try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Even if they don't deserve it, perhaps.

The Internet is just a terrible place to look for comfort. Wear that safety belt, always.
To me you seem more just wise than a wise guy.

graybeard65

Tele-Meister
I must not be clicking on the right threads...I haven't seen much on this site by way of offensive posts. I readily admit that when the thread title seems like one that might generate controversy, I consciously choose not to even read the thread.

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Try not to let these people bother you, they have closed minds and will never accept liberty, personal choice and individualism.
Interesting; some of the most trollish characters online (I am NOT referring to you) self-espouse those exact same traits, even using them as justification for their various critiques.

Doctor of Teleocity
A critic teaches me something about myself, about them, or both.