If you don’t have anything nice to say

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
We have all heard the old saying. I’ve always thought it made pretty good sense.
I understand the nature of Internet trolls in theory. It is a shame that they have infiltrated this forum. Just making casual conversation will earn you a swift insult here these days.
I mention trouble with a young puppy and one of our members insults my wife. I mentioned that I do yoga and one of our members tells me I am a Satanist. On and on. These last couple months here have really made me question why I even login.
These people must be getting something out of it.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Wuh????? I've not seen any of that but wow... crazy man. There used to be a statement at the bottom of every page on the forum that spelled out the "bottom line" in terms of comments, but it went away with the upgrade for some reason. Anyway, I believe it said something to the affect of "Be kind to others, even if it pains you to do so." Something like that. Sorry you've experienced insults man, that's just not cool.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Keyboard warriors.

I’ve had a couple of instances directed at me recently. I tend to give as good as I get.

All too often though, posts that are not meant to be inflammatory end up being just that, and some people seem to take offence at posts which aren’t even aimed at them.

Horses for courses, but personal name calling or insulting close family members isn’t cool.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
We have all heard the old saying. I’ve always thought it made pretty good sense.
I understand the nature of Internet trolls in theory. It is a shame that they have infiltrated this forum. Just making casual conversation will earn you a swift insult here these days.
I mention trouble with a young puppy and one of our members insults my wife. I mentioned that I do yoga and one of our members tells me I am a Satanist. On and on. These last couple months here have really made me question why I even login.
I have encountered something similar a couple of times. I use the “Ignore” function.
The internet has provided a soapbox for a subset of people who like to make other people feel dirty.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
There have been instances where I’ve made a comment and some clown has to put his $.02 in and wanted change back from a $50.00
Usually they don’t hang around long and that’s fine by me.

Let a mod know what’s going on. Maybe they can help

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
You have got an ignore option somewhere in there.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I haven't seen anything as harsh as you describe lately, although one character flew off the handle not too long ago and got deleted, maybe suspended, pretty quick.

I do sense there are a few more ***holes with a mean keyboard ready to pounce on about anything outside of milk n cookies. Heck, if a milk n cookies thread goes long enough, somebody will start something. I blame a polarizing media, social media the same, for how we view each other.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I haven't seen anything as harsh as you describe lately, although one character flew off the handle not too long ago and got deleted, maybe suspended, pretty quick.

I do sense there are a few more ***holes with a mean keyboard ready to pounce on about anything outside of milk n cookies. Heck, if a milk n cookies thread goes long enough, somebody will start something. I blame a polarizing media, social media the same, for how we view each other.

Milk and cookies? How dare you! I AM GLUTEN FREE! I DO NOT TOLERATE DAIRY WELL EITHER!

:lol::lol::lol:

I would be reporting people that are chucking poo your way. The mods here are really good at keeping things civil; it is a small subset of users doing this.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
I blame a polarizing media, social media the same, for how we view each other.
Yeah, I can totally see where you’re coming from, and it’s getting worse by the day. Shame really, and it’s the main reason I came off everything apart from this forum and Strat-talk. TBH I rarely go on Strat-Talk much these days either

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Anyone see the story on the news yesterday about the abhorrent behavior of fans at the Yankees baseball game? I am baffled at what has gotten into people, it is pathetic. :rolleyes:

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Anyone see the story on the news yesterday about the abhorrent behavior of fans at the Yankees baseball game? I am baffled at what has gotten into people, it is pathetic. :rolleyes:
I haven't read the story or heard details. I do think that the disconnection from personal (face to face) interaction has led to a breakdown in civility. Or at the very least, greatly contributed to it.

Last edited: