If you could start over, what guitar and amp would you choose?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NewKid, Oct 12, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Honestly I would love to pare my 50 plus guitars and who knows how many amps and pedals collection down to about 3 of each (5 max). But I will never get close to the money I invested, and, it took the journey to discover what I really liked

MilwMark likes this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I imagine this as two different questions, but the answer is basically the same.

-If I could travel in time and be my 16 year old self again back in the '80s, I'd mow some extra lawns to be able to pick up an LP or SG Special with P90s, a late '60s Jazzmaster at a pawn shop for cheap, and a Hiwatt DR103 with a 4x12 loaded with Fanes. The Hiwatt would probably be a stretch, so I'd find a Traynor YBA-1 with some sort of 4x12 until I could do the Hiwatt.

-If I was starting out today, I'd get an LP Special with P90s, a Squier Jazzmaster, and a Traynor YBA-1w/ 2x12.

Stratwrangler and NewKid like this.
  3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I would have went to Ned and picked up one of his early Teles and a brand new 68 Fender amp. Yes I had the chance, but I played the neck out of acoustics during the 60ties and 70ties.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Well, I haven't played everything out there so it is a tough question to answer. Truth be told, if I was starting over with what I know now, I might have stayed with the acoustic. So much cheaper, the room wouldn't be cluttered with pedals and amps, and I wouldn't have to do any more amp repairs.

Electrics are like smoking, once you start up you become addicted but always secretly wish you could kick the habit. You get a couple amps and pedals casually at first, but the addiction drives you to buy more and more until you start hacking up a lung.

5. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

As a lot of people have said, I'd keep what I have now.

But, If the house burned down and I had a lot of insurance money to spend, an early Princeton reverb and a real all original '52 Tele would do the trick.

NewKid likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

A MIM Tele Esquire-H on a 4-way switch with a Bandit 65 and a few pedals.

matmosphere and NewKid like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Oh, this is "back in the day" talk? OK then - I would keep the 335-copy Japanese semi that I bought at a pawnshop with some electronics issues, then fix the issues instead of getting rid of it. For an amp I'd take whatever 6l6 silverface was for sale in the nickel ads. That would have given me a sweet rig for under $500 back in the 80s.

Telecastoff1 and NewKid like this.
  8. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

It’s an evolution, isn’t it? I played many guitars before finally relenting and trying a telecaster. What was I thinking all those stubborn years? That glorious tone is now undeniable to me....but it took many years before I discovered what many of you already know.

If I was starting over, I’d start with a true vintage Tele - any - so long as it has a single coil bridge pup and an ashtray. Top load, STB, ash, alder....doesn’t really matter so long as the set up is done properly and it has good tone.

Amp? Easy. A completely original 59 bassman, for me. I’m simple.

Telecastoff1 and NewKid like this.
  9. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

If I could start over again, I'd go back to the second electric guitar I bought - my neighbor's '68 blond tele with a Gibson HB in the neck. It was a working man's guitar with cigarette burns on the case, smelt of stale beer and cigars. It also had a maple capped neck. And for all I know that Gibbie in the neck might have been a PAF. I wasn't that sophisicated at that time to know.

I did have a early 80's Peavey Bandit, but for me I really never liked the sound of that amp. So knowing now what I know, I would have gotten a BF Deluxe or Princeton or a Brownface Deluxe.

NewKid likes this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I wouldn't change a thing. My early gear factored in to the way I play & approach music, and I am okay with that.

12. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

A player vintage strat before even they became silly money, and the original Marshall plexi I stupidly passed up on because it needed re covering and re valving and an original tubescreamer they used to sell for nothing back in the day . At the time I didn't do as much DIY and repairs as I do now or know as much as you do after playing for yrs.
    Lucky because I do get to play my dads 59 strat and I do have my own strat and a 100watt Marshall 2150 rock and roll baby that I use with an original gov nor pedal to boost it up. So I guess im happy with what I got but my own vintage strat would be nice .

NewKid likes this.
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I could have starte with my current #1’s I’d have saved a hell of a lot of frustration (and $$) along the way:

- Black Strat Plus
    - Tonemaster DR

@blowtorch, to your point, I’m “down” to five electrics and 3 amps. I only have that many of each because they are all great in their own way and it makes no $$ sense to sell them really.

Honestly my Roland JC40 is right there with the TMDR. But in my busiest band the singer/rhythm guitar uses an old JC77 (sounds great!). When I first joined I had trouble EQ'ing my JC40 around his JC77. But I recently pulled it out and remembered how warm, punchy, dynamic and versatile it is. Now that I know the material and have parts that don't step on his, I may pull the Jazz Chorus out again and it could easily sit neck-and-neck with the DR.

Gratuitous Strat pic:

FCB7462A-740C-464C-B5C4-CD7374EE63C6.jpeg

Here it is in action at our last radio show. Booth was up against a window on the sidewalk. She got a really cool pick of the streetscape. When did my forehead get so big?

48E4AD56-B755-407E-8854-619DB02D6A26.jpeg

Link to show if anyone’s interested. https://www.riverwestradio.com/episode/sessions-with-sandy-0107-floor-model-on-sessions-with-sandy/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    mimmo, blowtorch and NewKid like this.
  14. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Tele or 335, and a Princeton.

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My 8502 Tele and my 1974x Marshall.

16. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I would’ve kept my Carvin Dc-127 and Jubilee/peavey4/12 setup. Oh well live and learn .

17. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Exactly. I wonder if I’ll ever evolve into a Gibson or PRS player. Right now I have no desire to even try either brand.

I’m still stuck on the front pickup of my Teles playing jazz chord melodies. I hear the bridge pickup kinda rocks.

P Thought likes this.
  18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

With me you have roll the clock back, way back to 1963.

My BF Super Reverb and my small cabinet Piggy back BF Bandmaster. I would have to have both - two totally different sounds. I would keep my SG with Humbuckers, knowing what I know now about the advances in electronics and pickups that we can now make on our guitars. I would also find an Esquire or late 60's Telecaster Blondie Black guard.

NewKid likes this.
  19. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

a Wandrè Rock Oval :

[​IMG]

A MagnaTone 480 :

[​IMG]

-tbln

20. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Start over? That would be a nightmare. Took forever to find this stuff. Probably would have skipped the 15+ years of playing a deluxe reverb and went straight for the 5e3.

NewKid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.