If you could start over, what guitar and amp would you choose?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NewKid, Oct 12, 2019.

1. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I still have the guitar I started with in 1963. I'd like to get my first 2 amps back - a National with one big knob, and a Danelectro twin 12.

I generally like whatever rig I'm playing at the moment, so I'm easy. I've had the hots for a tele, a strat, and a les paul over the years, and have acquired those, although the les paul is an Agile copy. When I get rich, I'll get a real Gibson, because I've always loved Gibsons, but the Agile will work til then.

Meanwhile, I'll keep using most of my money for groceries, gas, and electricity.

sonicsmitty, JL_LI, Ricky D. and 2 others like this.
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

My ‘84 Am Std Esquire’d Tele and any JCM800.

NewKid likes this.
  3. Corvus

Corvus TDPRI Member

If I were young again My 50 watt Marshall (probably JTM45) and my '63 TV yellow (off white) SG with vibrola.
    Starting again now knowing what I know now and with gear available today Fender Deluxe and '52 Tele.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I kind of wish I’d bought the telecaster that my bandmate talked me out of. I bought a Yamaha instead. Now I loved it, but when I finally got the a Tele, it was like 'ah! This is what I was after all along'.

The fender m-80 which I bought at the same time remains my all Time favourite amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My 1971 Telecaster and my Sound X505R

6. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Amp wise a Fender Vibrolux and a Marshall studio vintage. Guitars I'd still want one of everything :D

dlew919 likes this.
  7. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid, we coulda got that rig for under $1000. I wanted a fancier guitar, though. Idiot....

Zepfan and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'd want to keep my #1 Telecaster, mainly because of its Warmoth mahogany, "fatback", conversion neck. (24 3/4" scale) and Bootstrap pickups. While I'm happy with the amps I currently use, I'd like to get BACK the Black Face Deluxe Reverb I foolishly sold a few years ago.....that amp was "special".

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Telecaster + Deluxe Reverb, rather that Stratocaster + Princeton Reverb. I didn't own a Tele till I had already been playing music for 12 or 13 years, and my learning on such a low headroom amp forever shaped my playing style. Wish I had had a cleaner and louder amp to start, and a simpler, slightly dirtier guitar.

JL_LI likes this.
  10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Tele Thinline, 69 version, Blackface Twin Reverb.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I had one a few years back, & foolishly traded it , I saw it at the same shop last week, in “roadworn” condition for $400
    (about 2x what I paid & got back) After figuring in a service I decided to let ‘er sit. It is a very cool amp, but I have a few that are a little bit cool so they will do.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Start over? No way. But if I did, I'd probably start with a Telecaster. I'd buy a bedroom amp and probably make very similar mistakes to the ones I made getting to where I am now. I might not wind up with the exactly the same stuff, but I'd still have a Tele and Strat with noiseless pickups, a Gretsch (this time with tone controls, not a mud switch), and something from Gibson. I'd almost certainly upgrade to a tube amp that has some natural breakup. I'd also pick up a good acoustic along the way. The reason I say this is that I'm pretty happy with what I have now and the mistakes I made along the way were set right pretty easily.

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I suppose I can start over most any day, but I'd I could go back in time I'd start with lessons.

matmosphere and knockeduptele like this.
  14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I can never go back.
    But I am always happy to go forward.

Some people look back on certain times of their lives, and say, "Man, those were my glory days. The best times of my life."

I like to think that my best days are always ahead of me, and in a way, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

My first real rig, when I was a teenager and not yet joined to the Army, was an early 1970's Fender Twin Reverb amp and an early 1970's Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top.

I sold it all when I went off into the service, and, to be honest, there's no way I would ever endeavor to recapture that particular lightning in a jar.

I'm a much better player now, with a broad appetite for all kinds of amps and guitars.
    It's a new adventure every day, and I love exploring them all.

:)

MickM and mkdaws32 like this.
  15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I started playing in 1964, and I played 70 gigs with a nine piece soul top 40 cover band my senior year in high school, 67-68. That was with a Gretsch Tennessean and a blond 2x10 Tremolux. Good stuff and no regrets.

Doing it over with what I know now, I could have saved a few bucks and just gone with a tweed Bassman and a blackguard tele or a goldtop LP standard. That stuff was cheap on the used market.

P Thought, sonicsmitty and NewKid like this.
  16. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

A good Jazzmaster and a vintage Bandmaster Reverb.

Ask me tomorrow, though, or in an hour, and I'll come up with a different pairing. Because SO many are SO good.

It's like eating good fruit. You get that great watermelon going, and for a while, nothing else exists except you and the particular joy it gives. A few days later, and you've been conquered by a peach.....

Ricky D. and NewKid like this.
  17. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

You can start over!

Electric Warrior and NewKid like this.
  18. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I started with a Gibson Marauder and Peavy SS practice anp.

Do over for the same $$$?

Tokai 'F' copy and a used '68 Fender Bronco or VibroChamp.

NewKid likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't totally understand the premise except "you have no gear and you get to choose one electric and one amp" - in that case, Vibrolux and a tele (as close to my parts tele as possible). I could be pretty happy with a good AC30 though.

20. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I don't know about guitar, I really like a variety of guitars and about 30% of my hobby is messing with them, making them better for me personally.

But I would tell myself that despite not having a lot of disposable income, to not bother with affordable modeling combo amps or software. Get a tube amp, a cab and something like an HX Effects unit and concentrate on enjoying the guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.