If you could start over, what guitar and amp would you choose?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NewKid, Oct 12, 2019.

1. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I still have the guitar I started with in 1963. I'd like to get my first 2 amps back - a National with one big knob, and a Danelectro twin 12.

I generally like whatever rig I'm playing at the moment, so I'm easy. I've had the hots for a tele, a strat, and a les paul over the years, and have acquired those, although the les paul is an Agile copy. When I get rich, I'll get a real Gibson, because I've always loved Gibsons, but the Agile will work til then.

Meanwhile, I'll keep using most of my money for groceries, gas, and electricity.

sonicsmitty, JL_LI, Ricky D. and 2 others like this.
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My ‘84 Am Std Esquire’d Tele and any JCM800.

NewKid likes this.
  3. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

If I were young again My 50 watt Marshall (probably JTM45) and my '63 TV yellow (off white) SG with vibrola.
    Starting again now knowing what I know now and with gear available today Fender Deluxe and '52 Tele.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I kind of wish I’d bought the telecaster that my bandmate talked me out of. I bought a Yamaha instead. Now I loved it, but when I finally got the a Tele, it was like 'ah! This is what I was after all along'.

The fender m-80 which I bought at the same time remains my all Time favourite amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My 1971 Telecaster and my Sound X505R

6. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Amp wise a Fender Vibrolux and a Marshall studio vintage. Guitars I'd still want one of everything :D

dlew919 likes this.
  7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid, we coulda got that rig for under $1000. I wanted a fancier guitar, though. Idiot....

Zepfan and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'd want to keep my #1 Telecaster, mainly because of its Warmoth mahogany, "fatback", conversion neck. (24 3/4" scale) and Bootstrap pickups. While I'm happy with the amps I currently use, I'd like to get BACK the Black Face Deluxe Reverb I foolishly sold a few years ago.....that amp was "special".

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Telecaster + Deluxe Reverb, rather that Stratocaster + Princeton Reverb. I didn't own a Tele till I had already been playing music for 12 or 13 years, and my learning on such a low headroom amp forever shaped my playing style. Wish I had had a cleaner and louder amp to start, and a simpler, slightly dirtier guitar.

JL_LI likes this.
  10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Tele Thinline, 69 version, Blackface Twin Reverb.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I had one a few years back, & foolishly traded it , I saw it at the same shop last week, in “roadworn” condition for $400
    (about 2x what I paid & got back) After figuring in a service I decided to let ‘er sit. It is a very cool amp, but I have a few that are a little bit cool so they will do.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Start over? No way. But if I did, I'd probably start with a Telecaster. I'd buy a bedroom amp and probably make very similar mistakes to the ones I made getting to where I am now. I might not wind up with the exactly the same stuff, but I'd still have a Tele and Strat with noiseless pickups, a Gretsch (this time with tone controls, not a mud switch), and something from Gibson. I'd almost certainly upgrade to a tube amp that has some natural breakup. I'd also pick up a good acoustic along the way. The reason I say this is that I'm pretty happy with what I have now and the mistakes I made along the way were set right pretty easily.

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I suppose I can start over most any day, but I'd I could go back in time I'd start with lessons.

matmosphere and knockeduptele like this.
  14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I can never go back.
    But I am always happy to go forward.

Some people look back on certain times of their lives, and say, "Man, those were my glory days. The best times of my life."

I like to think that my best days are always ahead of me, and in a way, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

My first real rig, when I was a teenager and not yet joined to the Army, was an early 1970's Fender Twin Reverb amp and an early 1970's Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top.

I sold it all when I went off into the service, and, to be honest, there's no way I would ever endeavor to recapture that particular lightning in a jar.

I'm a much better player now, with a broad appetite for all kinds of amps and guitars.
    It's a new adventure every day, and I love exploring them all.

:)

MickM and mkdaws32 like this.
  15. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I started playing in 1964, and I played 70 gigs with a nine piece soul top 40 cover band my senior year in high school, 67-68. That was with a Gretsch Tennessean and a blond 2x10 Tremolux. Good stuff and no regrets.

Doing it over with what I know now, I could have saved a few bucks and just gone with a tweed Bassman and a blackguard tele or a goldtop LP standard. That stuff was cheap on the used market.

P Thought, sonicsmitty and NewKid like this.
  16. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

A good Jazzmaster and a vintage Bandmaster Reverb.

Ask me tomorrow, though, or in an hour, and I'll come up with a different pairing. Because SO many are SO good.

It's like eating good fruit. You get that great watermelon going, and for a while, nothing else exists except you and the particular joy it gives. A few days later, and you've been conquered by a peach.....

Ricky D. and NewKid like this.
  17. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

You can start over!

Electric Warrior and NewKid like this.
  18. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I started with a Gibson Marauder and Peavy SS practice anp.

Do over for the same $$$?

Tokai 'F' copy and a used '68 Fender Bronco or VibroChamp.

NewKid likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't totally understand the premise except "you have no gear and you get to choose one electric and one amp" - in that case, Vibrolux and a tele (as close to my parts tele as possible). I could be pretty happy with a good AC30 though.

20. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I don't know about guitar, I really like a variety of guitars and about 30% of my hobby is messing with them, making them better for me personally.

But I would tell myself that despite not having a lot of disposable income, to not bother with affordable modeling combo amps or software. Get a tube amp, a cab and something like an HX Effects unit and concentrate on enjoying the guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.